We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers: Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Pronunciations can vary significantly within Vietnam, especially
northern vs. southern. there are 3 dialects north, central and south.
Age of the person you talking too in relation you is important to note
in vietnam, a complex system of words is used to addres people. however
sticking to general word like 'xin' and 'ban' will help you avoid that.
(English - Vietnamese - phonetic pronuniation)
1. Hello! - Xin chao! (sin chow!)
2. Goodbye - Tam Biet
3. How are you? - Ban co khoe khong? (ban co kwe khome?) also, Ban the nao?
I'm fine, thank you! - Cam on ban toi khoe (gahm un ban thoy kwe)
5. And you? - Ban thi sao? (ban ty sao?)
6. What's your name - Ban ten gi (ban thane zee)
My name is... - Toi la (thoy la...)
8. Thank you - Xin Cam on (sin gahm un)
9. You're welcome - Khong co' gi (khom go zee)
10. Yes - Vang (vung)
11. No - Khong (khome)
me/Sorry... - Xin loi (seen loy)
13. Can you help
me? - Ban giup toi duoc khong? (ban zoop thoy duc khom?)
I'd like to eat - Toi muon an (thoy moowan un)
I'd like to drink - Toi muon uong (thoy moowan oowanh)
16. Good - Tot (thote)
17. Bad - Khong tot (khome thote)
18. What is this? - Cai nay la gi (guy nai la zee)
19. How much - Bao nhieu (bow nyew)
20. Too expensive - Mac qua (mahk qwa)
21. Where is the nearest internet shop - Cho internet o dau (choh internet uh doh)
22. Where is the nearest bank - Nha bang o dau (nya bung uh doh)
23. Hotel - Khach San (khack san)
24. Hot - Nong (nom)
25. Cold - Lanh (lang)
26. Coffee - Ca phe (cah feh)
27. Hot black coffee - Ca phe nong (cah feh nom)
28. Hot Coffee with milk - Ca phe sua nong (cah feh sua nom)
29. Tea - Tra (chah)
I like - Toi thich (thoy tick)
I am happy - Toi vui (thoy vuoy)
I am tired - Toi met (thoy mate)
33. Where ATM - Cay ATM o dau
Below is the link of some basic words and conversations that you will use to take a taxi, order food and drinks,...
You can understand very clearly and speak naturally as a native speaker about these things after watching video some times.