We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers: Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
This article contains a discussion by TripAdvisor members concerning the above topic.
Please note that the discussion was closed to any additional postings as of Nov 1, 2016
and, as such, some of the information contained herein may be outdated and cannot be
commented on by travelers at this time. Please take this into account when making your
Zanzibaris are the people comprised by the "Ungujans aka waUnguja" from Unguja island of the Zanzibar Archipelago and "waPemba" people from the Pemba island. Most of the people ~98% in Zanzibar are muslims, meaning that you wil see many mosques,madressa(religious schools) in and around the islands most women dressing modestly and headscarfs .
Some of the traditional and cultural ethics in Zanzibar island are different compared to the Tanzania mainland's people for example;
1. Seperation of women and men groups in most public instituions giving services
2. Men and women normaly do not hand shake!
3.ALWAYS use right hand when shaking hands. Using the left hand is considered an insult since it is the one used mainly for cleaning one's self while in toilets. Using your left hand when giving any object including money is also be considered an insult !
4. Elderly & old aged people are given priority in all services unless in emergency cases!
5. Elderly should be greeted first! .
6 .SALAAM/SALOM aka ASALAM ALAIKUM (God's Peace be Upon you) is the formal salutation to all.
7. "Chechei" or "Mambo/Jambo" is an informal salutation mainly used in local street's life by children/young adults/teens to elders !
8. Dressing modestly in public will earn you a mutual respect to both male and female .
9. In Africa a mother with an infant is considered as one in need hence given preference !