The Clive
US$116
The Royal Oak(Leominster)
US$45
  • Bar/Lounge
The Castle Hotel(Bishops Castle)
US$152
Hotels.com
US$164
Travelocity
Knighton Hotel(Knighton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsludlow food centreunderfloor heatingpost officemini barrestaurant with roomsmain buildingjunior suiteground floorwine listduckwell worth a visitboth nightslovely foodlocal producespecial occasionludlow areabreakfast is served
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We found the Clive good value for money and an excellent base for exploring Ludlow and the surrounding area. The room was comfortable and surprisingly quiet given its proximity to the main road. We chose to eat at the hotel as we were tired after a longish drive and lots of sightseeing and were not disappointed. The service was good and the food plentiful and well cooked and presented, with plenty of choice on the menu.The waitress offered us fresh milk and extra teabags for our room, which was appreciated. Breakfast was also very good. Recommended.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Didn't stay here just went for lunch, I had chicken which was delicious, couldn't fault it, really liked the mixed veg as an extra. good service, lovely food and nice decor, very impressed. Would definitely recommend for a nice lunch

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We didn't stay here we came for dinner
We were looking forward very much to our evening meal. It wasn't the best start to our evening when there wasn't really anyone to greet you as you came in. However Gemma was an extremely nice young lady and for the most part she served us through the evening. We chose a glass of wine to have while we checked out the menu. They were brought to us and were asked if we would like water which we said yes to however it didn't come and we had to ask the waitress that brought our starter to bring it. We chose scallops and they were ok but they were only just warm. We wondered if they had been on the pass for longer than they should or if maybe the kitchen was upstairs and they had been in a dumb waiter for a while. So we were as you can imagine a little apprehensive about our main course. I chose to have dauphinois potatoes rather then the crushed new potatoes. I have never seen such a dreadful excuse for the dish, they were a dry stack if potato slices with a hint of, maybe cream. However the whole meal was as the starter, that is to say warm. The plates weren't hot either which didn't help. My fish was cooked but frankly it was the best bit of the dish. My husbands was no better. We did have dessert, I had panacotta which was acceptable but a little firm to be really good. My husbands raspberry mille feuille was he said very nice. They did give us a reduction and our desserts were free, so some. Compensation. I give my thanks to Gemma for her attention but there didn't seem to be any proper management of the restaurant and there was a long wait between courses. It's a shame because the restaurant it's self was lovely, but they need to make sure that they show themselves in the room a little more and have hot plates for hot food. I hope that this makes them look at how they run things and do something about the problems.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Our room was huge and luxurious (free slippers, cookies and bottled water). The bathroom was really nice, too. The onsite pub had a nice selection and lots of places to sit, including two ancient settees! The staff was really nice. We had a little emergency, and they all jumped in to help. I could tell their concern and desire to help was genuine. We had a wonderful dinner in the dining room and a great breakfast in the restaurant.The ground floor rooms open into the free parking lot which is great for loading and unloading luggage. There is a post office/gift shop and a grocery store with hot foods, a liquor store and gift shop on site. The only negative is the location. It's seven miles from the city centre, taxis are rarely available and the buses are limited. We got stuck in town and a nice couple of locals gave us a ride back and saved us a long walk. Although we didn't try it, I'm pretty sure The Clive staff would have sent someone to get us. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor = no steps!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Came here for Sunday lunch with two friends. We all had an excellent meal. Good helpings of roast meat (I had the beef) crisp roast potatoes and well cooked vegetables. No room for a pudding which was a shame but we each had a starter. I had soup and my friends the smoked salmon and the terrine. Both looked good and my soup was good too and served at just the right temperature. The service was attentive but unobtrusive.
Can recommend it.