Lowest prices for your stay
US$320
Free cancellation until 23/05/22
PricelineUS$307
Hotels.comUS$320
TravelocityUS$320
All reviews lake view zion spa high tatras high level rooms are big luxury winter waiters cosmetics
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Last time I was here - September 2012 - I griped about the lack of a/c in a driveway/view-of-the-plains-below room. This time, in a room on the opposite side of the building, with opening windows and a superb lake view, the strong, cool Alpine breezes straight off the mountains and water were blessed relief after the Europe-wide heatwave that had nudged temps at home into the mid to late 20s or early 30s. I had no idea what a thermostat in the room was supposed to do but an open window combined with the bathroom extractor fans kept the room cool and fresh enough. Besides, as I learned this trip, the lake is frozen 165 days a year, so I guess keeping guests warm is more of a priority most of the year though the fires staff had lit in the bar and dining room were unnecessary in late July.
My room was magnificent and well equipped, bar any tea making gear, though bottled water was supplied. The bathroom was also great though the lack of a nice, separate shower cubicle was annoying. Instead, you extend a hand held nozzle on a loooooooonnngggg hose, clip it into a hook above the bath and then turn the taps on too much and flood the floor. Thank goodness for absorbent bath mats and a turn-down housekeep who finished the clean-up and changed all the towels while I was at dinner.
While room quality is mostly top-notch, the menu choice offered for a business group wide ranging, dinner courses served hot and promptly and the combination of buffet, chef at an egg station and a la carte for breakfast (EUR400m king's breakfast, anyone?) ideal, the real treat of this hotel - clustered with others - is location. A lakeside stroll I had been looking forward to doing again saw seven wedding photo shoots, a restaurant, numerous carved wooden seats (pine is grown locally), various exercise torture devices with instructions, a cage with two budgies (no explanation from the locals sat by it), a ski area hotel ski jump, two world war two graves/monuments and, seemingly half of Slovakia on a bracing, walking summer holiday. Even a family of fellow Brits. This place is popular but not overcrowded. And they start early - walkers, and a distant chainsaw, got going at 5am! I love it here.

Room tip: Ask for lake view
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Fredmarkone
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, spa, dining and the service! Thank you very much to the Kempinsky team! We had a exceptional stay with you. From arrival to departure, highly enjoyed your hospitality! Very baby friendly. Looking forward to come back. Highly recommended!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2018

From the moment we stepped out of the car, the Kempinski swept us up in their old world class and luxury. The hotel is impeccable, the service was impeccable, the venue was impeccable. The rooms were huge and luxurious with an incredible view of the lake and mountains. The service at the restaurant made us feel like kings and queens and the food was delightful. This was a truly nice experience in every respect and our only complaint was that we did not schedule enough time here to adequately enjoy the hotel or this wonderful location.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank JOE57DC
Reviewed 20 July 2018

I think my title sums it up, you would expect the best but sadly the service was shocking!!

I didn't stay in the hotel we stopped for drink / coffee, you know that feeling when you not welcome? When someone looks you up and down whether you can afford to be..

Well your staff mrmember Lenka clearly doesnt know how to treat customers, so rude and I for sure won't be coming back!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank Alex B
Kathrin N, Generálny riaditeľ at Grand Hotel Kempinski High Tatras, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2018

Dear Saska B,

Thank you for sharing remarks on your recent visit. I am glad you liked the historical building of the hotel, as well as the beautiful surroundings it is nested in.

We are happy to welcome both accommodated guests and visitors from outside who would like to enjoy coffee, cocktails or other specialities. Therefore, I am sorry to hear of the misunderstanding which arose. I would like to assure you I have personally consulted the staff member mentioned, in order to prevent such a situation from happening in the future.

I will be delighted if you visit our hotel on your next visit to this beautiful region.

Yours sincerely,
Kathrin Noll

Reviewed 14 July 2018

We were on our way to Krakow from Budapest. We decided to have a stop over for one night in Grand Kempinski hotel in Strbski Pleso. The hotel had very good reviews and listed as a five star hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with a welcome drink. The hotel looked beautiful from out side. There was limited parking on the side of the road to the hotel. We were lucky to find an empty space very close to the hotel. The rooms were quite big, but the first one we got did not have a good view. We called the reception and asked whether we can be moved to a room with a view. The reception was very helpful. They sent a person to show us two other rooms that were available. We moved to a room with a valley view. The best view is from the rooms that are facing the lake and the range of mountains behind the lake. We could not see the lake from the room, but from the corridors and some sitting areas, we could see the lake. We could only imagine what it would look like in Winter. Hotel breakfast was included in the price. We walked to the small city centre and had a light lunch from one of the small restaurants. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant.

Room service and the service of staff including the reception was of a high standard. A special mention should be made of Benjamin who helped us with our luggage and took us to show different rooms. Our second room had a small balcony. Though it was early Summer, it was cold outside the hotel. We had everything we needed in the room for a comfortable stay. Only thing that was missing was a kettle to make tea and coffee. We did not ask for a kettle, because we had coffee in the restaurant. WiFi link was very fast, the beds were very comfortable,bathroom was very clean and the room had a small sitting area.
This is a good hotel for a family holiday in both Winter and Summer. I would love to come back to this hotel in Winter.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a lake view
Date of stay: June 2018