“Cachoeira Fumaca no Parque National Chapad Diamantina”
Review of Fumaca Falls

Day Trip to Fumaça Waterfall
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Chapada Diamantina State Park in Bahia is fantastic. Treks, waterfalls, nature, fantastic local cuisine.

Fumaca Waterfall is one of the most visited waterfalls in the region

All reviews
"march"
"fall"
"drop"

Reviewed 19 March 2017

In the beginning of March, the waterfall is almost dry, but I had luck: the rainfall provided enough water and I could see how the wind makes the "smoke" in this waterfall. I dare to say that this phenomenon is very unique! At least, I hadn't seen it before. Anyway, a beautifull rainbow was built, the sunny day and the smoke. I suggest to find a rocky to appreciate the view, the phenomenon, the valley, the abism... meditate is also a good choice. In my opinion, to feel the energy and contemplate is what matter! Anyway, in my group, the trekking was considered moderate or easy.

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

It is a 1h15 drive from Lençois (we rented a car from salvador). We did the hike without guide. The beginning of the hike is quite clear. The trail goes up for like 40 min, then you arrive on a platform, there it is a bit tricky to find the trail. We downloaded maps.me upfront, so if you go without guide make sure you do that or follow someone with a guide during the hike. The village where you should go is called capao (you have to drive via palmeiras) at the beginning of the hike, you will need to register (you can get a guide there). The entrance is free. The hike in total took us 5 hours. The views are well worth it! Best in chapada! Even when they say the waterfall will be dry. Go!

1  Thank Yasminvant
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

I have only one thing to say: go even if it's dry. The view is breathtaking, Vale do Capão can really amaze you .We did the hike with our two kids ( 11 and 8 yrs old), it lasted 2h but they are quite used to it. The firs path of 1km is all climbing them it's eases out. Take lots of water and a snack to eat up there.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

I guess I felt a bit disappointed with it because
a) I thought you could bathe in it (silly me) and
b) after such a long walk, it's quite tragic to find it nearly dry (only a little bit of water, not the dramatic falls you'd expect) but then again it was December. Therefore:

1. In December and other hot months, it might be dry.

2. It is free to go, you DONT need a guide. They'll tell you do, you don't - the walk is fine, you'll only get lost if you're dumb.

3. The climb doesn't last for very long (maybe an hour) but it is tough especially in a really hot day so take sunscreen, water and snacks. After the climb, there is a long walk. Takes about 2-3 hours from the very start of the track to the waterfall.
I've seen reviews of people saying it is a quick walk? You're either mad or referring to the fumacinha falls - entirely different place, although I hear that one is tough too.

4. Even if its dry, it's worth it as the things you see on the way are really pretty plus the view up there is pretty amazing. Keep in mind you can't bathe in it duh.

2  Thank Leti H