“Again, can't cope with being fully booked”
Review of The Brown Cow

The Brown Cow
Price range: US$1 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Large family party of 18 celebrating an important birthday milestone. All meals pre ordered were given over the phone, the lad who took the order was very precise & read all meals back to me - very thorough so at least I knew if anything was wrong, which it was, it wouldn't be his fault.... Straight away advised the chicken & ham pie wasn't available, a bad batch was sent - so obviously not homemade. Not a good start....
We were shown to our tables upstairs to the back of the rooms, and advised the babies in the car seats were to be placed on chairs - due to health & safety issues, hmmm didn't understand really but still complied with this....
One meal was cooked wrong & that person had to wait for their meal as it was the kitchens fault they cooked the wrong meal, mixed up the Cumberland melt with just Cumberland sausage, so that meal was deducted off our bill, rightly so as some of the party had finished eating by the time this came out. We were never asked if everything was ok with meals, never asked if we wanted any desserts & never asked if we needed anymore drinks - we were basically forgotten about & over an hour later our plates were taken.

Now, usually we don't experience a problem when we come here, food is always lovely - as was my dish tonight, the duck in plum sauce, gorgeous !!! But after a few bad experiences with large bookings & being at full capacity they really need to address the staffing issue. If you can't cope, don't take the bookings !!!

My husband paid the bill & spoke to the manager - he, apologised and stated he was embarrassed.

Overall, food is still lovely just not good service for large parties & being over booked.

1  Thank nicmac1405

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The food here was lovely, well it always is! Been coming here for years and i have never had a bad meal yet. Will be back soon.

1  Thank Jane W
Reviewed 4 April 2018

went out for tea, ordered the steak as part of the laughing cow menu, chose boiled potatoes instead of chips, they came really really round, large and should of been cut up at least two more times, they were like 'whole' boiled potatoes but not new ones...these had no flavour but they were dry, and I managed to eat 1.5 of them before I nearly borked. told the waitress when she cleared our plates and NOTHING was done about it. not a thing.
the steak was nice, cooked well and so was the fudge cake for dessert.

pretty sure the potatoes were tinned. cant even say my portion was huge because I was still hungry. nobody asked us if everything was ok either and when we needed to pay there was never anyone about, ended up paying downstairs.

I don't believe in writing bad reviews if a place has tried to correct whatever is wrong, but these guys weren't bothered so I guess i'm not bothered about everyone knowing either! will go elsewhere next time

2  Thank Emma1487
Reviewed 1 April 2018

If I could give less than one star I would. From the moment we walked in, we were made to feel really uncomfortable. It was pretty cold so I went to have a look at turning the radiator up, a bald man serving us just snapped at me "it's on a timer."

We then ordered from the Sunday set menu at £13 ish each for three courses. We asked if we could have all roast potatoes with our Sunday roast rather than a mix of boiled and roast, and we're met with an icy response of "well, I can ask but I don't know, maybe" etc. Then my roast dinner arrived without a Yorkshire pudding and with the meat very dry and unappealing. The portions are huge, great if you're hungry, but I said I wasn't gong to order dessert. However, I was then told that I had to order a dessert in order to get the £13 deal, and if I had just the two courses I would actually pay more in total. Which makes sense in no universe whatsoever. I ordered a cheesecake I didn't want or really eat just to get the set menu.

Then no one came to clear our plates, and no one came to give us the bill, nor was there anyone around to ask. We went up to the till and asked to pay individually. We were told by the same man "I don't want you all standing round here, because other people are trying to eat." And sent us to the adjoining room in the restaurant, which was also very busy. I said "well the thing is no one brought our bill to the table and there was no one to ask." The awful rude man then replied "look, if you're going to be funny about it then I won't even bother splitting the bill for your group." As if he was doing us a favour. This was the most shocking part of the experience and so unprofessional.

We left feeling belittled, and spoken down to. This man was so unbelievably rude from start to finish, and this establishment needs to learn some extensive hospitality. Our visit was seriously lacking any friendliness or good service. Maybe it's because I came in with a southern accent, maybe it's because I'm a woman (he was very nice to my fiancé and even took his coffee off the bill) but the lack of respect paid was just insulting.

Please, PLEASE, do yourself a favour and avoid this place at all costs. Beyond rude staff and sub standard service.

3  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed 26 March 2018

We visited here while visiting family in the area. We had lunch and all of us of which there was 8 struggled to finish . But I think that was mainly due to the fact we were all suffering from a party the night before. The staff and service are top notch and I would highly recommend going here .