Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$147
PricelineUS$147
Expedia.comUS$147
eDreamsUS$147
Agoda.comUS$147
CheapTicketsUS$147
2,434 results
All reviews shuttle service las riendas steep hill costa rica cloud forest shuttle buses rocking chairs zip line breakfast buffet mountain side reception area night walk amazing views rooms are large tour group hiking trails beautiful property
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 December 2020

Good:
- Location, the hotel has an amazing view.
- The restaurant service was excellent.
- The canopy was good (there are better options around, though).

Bad:
- We asked for a room with a nice view, was given a room at the corner of the building, on the second floor, with trees in front of the balcony, so no view.
- Very noisy, could hear our upstairs neighbors and doors closing.
- The rooms have a hot water tank each, so the hot water runs out (don't think about a long shower).
- Due to all of the above, got a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite. The building is a chalet and the suite is on the top of it, so the hot air accumulates there, making the room super hot at all times, with no air conditioner or fans.
- There is no flywire on the windows, so if you want to open them and the balcony door for some air then you get the bugs in.
- Found cockroach first thing when we got in.
- The pillows are terrible, even in the honeymoon suite.
- The shower and toilet are inside the room in the honeymoon suite, there is no privacy, becomes a sauna when you shower and the smell lingers when you do #2. If you want to open the door to let the steam out while having a shower then the people on the hotel street can see you naked.
- Blinds covered 50% of the windows, so the light came in as soon as the sun came out.
- On the other hand, the junior suites on the 1st two floors are very cold, with no heating (we were there first). The bathroom has a super cold floor with no heating.
- There is nowhere to hang the wet towels or to put the soap in the shower.
- The robes provided are too small.
- We paid for a massage, now my back and neck hurt after it. They forgot to charge it at the check-out so they wrote to me 2 days after to charge it to my card.

Conclusion:
ROOMS DEFINITELY NEED UPDATING.
I usually not mind paying more for an excellent hotel, but this one has relied a lot on their name, view, and reputation, so they haven't fixed what needs fixing. Will stay in other hotels I know to be better for the same price or for a little extra.

Room tip: Not the honeymoon suite, too hot and not worth it. Bottom rooms are too cold. Better choose second floor room.
Date of stay: July 2020
1  Thank Aby01
Reviewed 9 October 2020

When Covid hit and borders closed, we cancelled our reservation for free on booking.com. However, we never received back our deposit of US$ 530 from the hotel. I followed up with the hotel many times, mostly just leaving a message on their website as no one ever picked up the phone when I called the number from the website. I received several e-mail replies saying "The refund will be in process.". This was going on for 5 months when I finally decided to contact my bank to dispute the charge. However, it was too late, my bank has only 90 days to initiate the dispute from the date of the transaction.

Then I contacted booking.com and told them what happened. They contacted the hotel and e-mailed me with this: "The property didn't offer an acceptable solution for your issue, so we're escalating it to our specialized team". Then couple of days later I received an e-mail from booking.com again this time telling my that the credit was added to the Wallet in my account. Finally after 6 months, thanks to booking.com, I got my money back!

Don't trust this hotel! If you have to cancel and don't get your money back within 2 weeks, contact your credit card company.

Date of stay: April 2020
1  Thank Maria_F111
Reviewed 3 August 2020 via mobile

Don’t stay here! We had a 3 night stay booked in April. The borders closed in March and that day we cancelled our reservation and they would not refund our 2 night deposit for $753. I fought it with the credit card company and the hotel still disputed that and would not refund us. We had no ability to even get into the country and they would not refund our deposit back. I would never give this hotel any business given how they treated us during a pandemic!

Date of stay: April 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank stefanigraff
Reviewed 25 April 2020 via mobile

This hotel is built on a steep mountainside. It provides vans to shuttle you up and down the mountain. Walking can be difficult; sidewalks are few, and cars are going by. Room was large and comfortable, but dated. Could use an upgrade. Beautiful sunset views outside our window. Generous buffet breakfast. A favorite of tour groups, so breakfast can be crowded. Conveniently located; near Monteverde attractions such as zip lining and hanging bridges. My husband went on an excellent guided night walk to see a range of animals. A very good upscale restaurant on the grounds. Pricey but high quality. Dining room had very few people; too bad

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank PamelaH752
Reviewed 14 April 2020

I was here as part of a Gate 1 Tour (highly recommended tour). The rooms here are very clean and spacious! Since it's on a mountain, walking around the hotel grounds can be like hiking. There is a shuttle that helps to transport people to and from their room and the front desk area.

Date of stay: August 2019