“Christmas and New Year in Sydney”
Review of Bondi Backpackers

Bondi Backpackers
Ranked #1 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Bondi
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here for the Christmas and New year period 2017. I made some great friends with the girls in my room and had an all round great Christmas and New Years in Sydney. The hostel organised activities such as a rooftop BBQ with free goon and food, Christmas Eve pre drinks, Christmas day breakfast and a Christmas Dinner at the restaurant next door.

The location is amazing! Right on Bondi Beach, with an amazing rooftop in which you get a great view of the beach and surrounding streets.

I had a good time in this hostel with the people I met, which is all you can hope for as a traveller but having stayed at other hostels in Australia - and especially for the price ($55 a night!) - I did expect more.

First, the rooms aren't air conditioned, which makes the days where the weather is in the high thirties pretty unbearable, and a breeding ground for cockroaches.

The beds in the room didn't feel particularly clean and neither did the showers.

The most annoying thing about the hostel is definitely the kitchen. It was definitely the smallest kitchen I have ever seen in a hostel, especially one catering for so many guests. It always had a disgusting smell in it, too, as if there was something rotting in one of the fridges. It closes at 10pm each night, which is extremely annoying if you want to get a glass of water or something out of the fridge after this - as you can't.

The kitchen has many passive aggressive 'smile for the camera' posters, warning you not to leave dirty dishes or steal anyone's food, because they have cameras installed in there. However, when a bottle of my alcohol went missing from the fridge, and I asked at reception if they could check the cameras, I was met with a sarcastic 'oh so now I have to watch 12 hours of footage' comment from the guy at the desk. Safe to say, he obviously didn't bother and I didn't find my alcohol - but if you're going to make the point that the cameras are in the kitchen, don't be annoyed when someone asks you to use them.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank cassiehavana
WakeUpTeam, Manager at Bondi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Cassiehavana,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave us your feedback. We appreciate all feedback and view it as a chance to better out property. I am glad overall you had a great stay with us. We did put lots of effort into our christmas activities as we wanted all of our guests to have a truly awesome Christmas time.We are very lucky with our location right on Bondi beach with a rooftop that provides unbeatable views.

We did have some very high temperatures which cause the building to get quite hot, luckily do we have fans in all of our rooms but this is something we are currently looking into.
I must agree with you about the kitchen it is small and can get busy at peak meal times. As you can appreciate it to keep it clean we do encourage all of our guests to clean up their dishes once they have finished cooking. As is standard across many properties the kitchen does close to that we can get in there to do a clean and also to minimise noise for guests trying to sleep. However our night staff are always happy to get someone some water. I must apologise about your alcohol going missing. I have looked into this further and have a full explanation, if you wish to discuss this further feel free to email me at manager@bondibackpackers.com.au .

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my first time staying at a hostel, and I was pleased with Bondi Backpackers. Having now stayed at a few others, this one is definitely up there. I travelled solo and I thought there was a good mix of friendly people of all ages. Their activities such as yoga, a bbq and wine and cheese night make it easy to meet people. The location can't be beat. It's close to lots of good restaurants and a grocery store nearby. The rooms and bathrooms were kept clean. I could have used a A/C unit, but it was manageable with the windows open and fan on. There was a bar downstairs that stayed noisy until about midnight, but it was the type of noise that is muffled so easy to ignore. Lockers were new and big enough. Beds were decent comfort. Wifi connection was strong and free. The travel desk downstairs books good excursions (highly recommend figure 8 pool). They rent out/hire surf boards for free which is super nice! Take the transfer shuttle from the airport for $20.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo

Hi there,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave us your feedback and for your perfect rating. I am so stoked you had such an awesome experience with us. I will certainly pass on all your kind words to all the staff here who work extremely hard to ensure all our guests have the best possible experience. I believe there is no better way to start the day than rooftop yoga or PT on the beach.

I will let the Travel desk team know how grateful you were for their efforts.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

The hostel is perfectly situated for the summer (right on Bondi Beach) and you can easily get a bus into the city or up to Bondi Junction from just across the road. The only downside was the lack of AC throughout the hostel which meant it was really hot at night. The bathrooms could do with some TLC but overall the stay here was really good and I would reccommend.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
WakeUpTeam, Manager at Bondi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Hi Charlotte S,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave us your rating and your feedback. It does sound overall you had a great experience with us. We are very lucky with our location right on the famous Bondi Beach and meters away from transport to Bondi Junction and the CBD. Australia does get very hot in the summer time, however we do have fans and windows in all of our rooms to help combat this. Thanks for your feedback in regards to the bathrooms this is something we are certainly looking at improving.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

Checked into this hostel for 6 days, loved it so much I extended my stay for 2 weeks. Aussie Jamie moved heaven and earth to let me stay for longer, creating a strategic plan of room moves so I could stay longer, he was also super helpful with local info. Other staff were so friendly, especially Scottish Jamie + Andy who helped me when my conditioner fell out the bathroom window, where most staff members at a hostel would probably not bother. The rest of the hostel was really good, kitchen was a good size and had lots of room in fridges for food etc, the extra activities in the mornings and daily events makes it so helpful to meet people, and made the slighter more expensive cost worth it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
WakeUpTeam, General Manager at Bondi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Hi there,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave us your feedback and for your perfect rating. I am so stoked you had such a great experience with us. I will let all the staff know how much you appreciated their efforts. We put lots of effort into our daily activities so that all our guests can make the most out of their Bondi experience.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

I came here straight off the plane, jet lagged and disoriented. And this hostel gave me a comfurtable and safe home base. It is pretty clean (bathrooms included) and the decorations/vibe is cool. Staff is helpful and friendly and make sure the space stays safe by watching to make sure it’s only paying guests in the building. It is a party hostel due to its location, but that means people aren’t getting wasted at the hostel but go out which is nice if you want a calm evening. Events, activities, friends, and help are all at your finger tips here. I would absolutely come here again!

Stayed: December 2017
WakeUpTeam, Manager at Bondi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Hi there,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave us your feedback and your rating. I am glad overall you had such a great experience with us. All my staff across all the departments work incredibly hard to create a unique experience for all of our guests. We have a great activities schedule on both in the day time and the night time so our guests can make the most out of their Bondi experience.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bondi
Bondi Beach
The Rocks
Sydney Harbour YHA
Sydney Harbour YHA
#2 of 150 in Sydney

Been to Bondi Backpackers? Share your experiences!