Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,213 results
All reviews fish beach front beachfront room rex resort a la carte three star star resort some tlc lovely beach fabulous location garden view cleaned every day rum punch great holiday beach vendors afternoon tea the west coast of barbados
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 February 2020

We booked Discovery Bay as we were looking for a reasonably priced break which is hard to come by in January in Barbados. We read all the reviews so we’re well aware of peoples thoughts on the hotel but we’re happy to make up our own minds.

Firstly I would like to say “Thank You” to Cathy at reception, she was lovely and welcoming and was like that throughout our stay.

Our room was a ground floor beachfront room, perfect for stepping out and a minutes walk from both beach and bar, what more could you ask for!

The beach chap who gave out the sunbeds and towels was nice if you took the time to chat to him and I found him like most staff to be pleasant and polite. There is definitely a culture of early risers putting out towels on beds but it was never a problem to get a spot and an umbrella.

The cocktails were really good, always plentiful and the bar staff were very nice and professional.

The food was good, breakfast omelettes excellent every day..... the lunch and dinner buffets had less choice than some we’ve had but to be honest I liked that as I usually fill my plate with a random assortment . We did find the food well cooked and tasty.
Gregory and Stanley were the 2 members of staff we seemed to see most of and they were lovely.

Our room was kept spotlessly clean, floors mopped every day I’m sorry I don’t remember all the girls names as they seemed to be different every day.

The hotel grounds were immaculate and there were always gardeners around tidying up. Loved seeing the mongooses and monkeys.

The hotel is ideally placed for the bus, supermarket, banks and other restaurants in Holetown.

It’s sad the Starfish is closing down for some fancy 5 star establishment of which Barbados seems to favour these days. The difference is apparent at the airport too, no landing cards on the aircraft anymore but you fill the details in on machines so all this seems to do is mean less staff at passport control.

We would love to come back to Starfish Discovery Bay before it closes so fingers crossed for a lottery win!

Thanks to everyone for looking after us so well.....

Room tip: A beachfront room is great for the gorgeous sunsets.
1  Thank Lesley B
Reviewed 1 February 2020

Came back one more time before the resort closed. Check in was quick and easy. The food is always prepared well and while the selection is t huge it was always enough variety to fill me up and I never once used the grill stations.(never do anywhere) I like the small size of the resort and the friendliness of all the staff. The bar staff was keeping up well with everyone’s drinks and the line ups for bevies were never very long. The room is simple and dated but clean and everything worked. This resort is great value for the location and I feel that I got more than My money’s worth. I will miss this place and the staff once it closes in April

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinchy_79
Reviewed 29 January 2020 via mobile

WOW! Not even sure where to begin! It would be an understatement to say that I LOVE this resort! It is located perfectly on the beautiful West coast within walking distance to Holetown and the many unique shops, restaurants and of course Folkestone Marine Park! Yes, this resort is being renovated/refurbished end of April 2020 BUT they are still doing repair and maintenance work every day! The food is fantastic! There are made to order omelette’s or eggs in the morning plus all the traditional sides as well as fresh fruit, yogurts, oats etc. Lunch is always done pool side with a salad bar and hot buffet options plus your choice of burgers, hotdogs, grilled cheese (toasties) and desserts. Afternoon tea is served pool side at 330 - small sandwiches and desserts. For dinner buffet there was always a chicken/beef option, fresh fish plus all the sides, salad bar, desserts etc. Everything is executed very well and the Chefs’ infuse it full of Bajan flavour!! Plus - they are able to cater to allergies without any issue (I have a shellfish allergy). This time our room was a garden view and had all the amenities- fridge, air conditioner, tea kettle (mugs/spoons) everything was in good working order. The bathroom is dated but it is clean, fresh towels daily, hot water with good pressure. The furniture is dated beach decor BUT remains one of the most comfortable beds I have slept on at a resort. There was always loungers available around the pool, and I did not have any issue getting a lounger by the beach (And I don’t arrive till close to 10am) there was 1 day that I was not able to get an umbrella out of 7. I have never gone back to a resort twice, let alone 3 times BUT the staff at this resort make you feel like family! These guys continue to show up and do their job knowing that in April they will be jobless!! THANK YOU Cathy Ann, Jenifer, Stefi, Carol Ann, Caroline, Carlisle, Stanley, Kevin, Gregory, Allison T, Dionne, Heidi, Shaquilla, Jennel, Eddie, John, Shamar, Danny, Shane, Jwayne and Jamal and EVERYONE who’s name I have missed (or spelt incorrectly) THANK YOU!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kylie1948
Reviewed 28 January 2020

Stayed here January 2020 at a time when we really needed our vacation (very tough year!), so we would have been forgiving of most anything, just to be in beautiful Barbados.

That was fortunate, as the hotel is closing in March/ April and is set to be demolished. All the employees will be losing their jobs, which probably explains their disengagement and almost complete lack of interest in customers or customer service - with very few exceptions, though Gregory deserves a special mention for the continual effort he put in, to counter the rudeness of his colleagues. We knew we had no come back about anything, because no one was going to care, so we bit our lips about many things, including the two hour check in that was the start to our holiday. That was followed by: the reserving of all loungers on the beach and by the pool by 7am each morning, yet hardly a soul could be seen on them before 10am; the lack of clean beach towels and the attitude of the person manning the beach towel hut; the daily forgetting to replenish towels and loo roll in our rooms; the poor water pressure and lack of hot water in our rooms at various times; the manager who tore a strip off an employee right by reception, while I was having a massage in the room next door (probably a reflection on why the disengagement was palpable); the low grade and repetitive food options which lacked variety of options, meaning there were times that we couldn't eat at a particular mealtime due to diet restrictions; the lack of food hygiene: allowing birds to come in and peck at the bread daily (revolting); the bizarre dinner dress code that was applied to us every night and yet not to all other guests (!?!?!) - I guess the older gentlemen who wore open toed sandals EVERY NIGHT, when we were sent back to our room to change, had special dinner dress exemption passes; the general lack of eye contact and surliness of restaurant and reception employees towards most customers, to the point of rudeness at times, with the exception of repeat customers, who seemed to have been returning to the hotel annually for 30 years on average. Those customers were welcomed - and all seemed to be aged 60+. But hey - it was quiet and relaxing to match the clientele, even though we had to sit in the bar or the bandstand, because the sunbeds were always taken - yes, every single day.

As mentioned, we were very tolerant of all of this and didn't complain, wanting to enjoy what was a very cheap all inclusive holiday to Barbados, in accommodation that was very clean and in a brilliant location. Our room had a beautiful view and we heard the sea every night which was truly awesome. There was constant effort made in trying to re-paint and clean up the hotel, though we wondered why bother and yet they did. The bar staff were generally very nice and the beauty treatment was nice. Our trip of the island was brilliant and great value.

The Limegrove shopping centre, a 5 minute walk from the hotel, was also fabulous and has high-end designer shops with great duty free prices. Otherwise, the shopping for say souvenirs is hit and miss.

So we smiled, were polite, tipped and thanked people while feeling disappointed by the attitudes and lack of professionalism around us. During our entire time there, we hardly managed to wear anyone down into smiling or being polite back. I suppose it was mainly the unfortunate context. Despite the niggles, we loved it and would return, though in fairness, not to this hotel, even if it existed.

We got what we paid for, that's the truth, but a little bit of politeness and customer awareness would have made all the difference to us. #justsayin

2  Thank NomDePlume007
Reviewed 28 January 2020

We booked a last visit to this hotel as it's going to be knocked down in April and rise from the ashes as a five star resort. The sooner the better! We expected things to be a little run-down and the decor to be a little shabbier. We weren't prepared, however, for such a sharp decline in service. Yes, there were some exceptions but the majority of the staff seemed to be very disaffected. We went to collect our beach towels on the first day and were told there weren't any. No apology, no explanation, just told to try later. And it was well into the afternoon before we were successful. The service at mealtimes was adequate, no more, like the food.There was always fish and chicken and they tried to ring the changes with a themed evening or two. This was a a good idea in principle but when you only have one chef cooking fresh pasta or stir fry, long, long queues build up. We just gave up! I heard that the current staff will not be offered other jobs when the hotel closes. Morale is low and it showed. What a shame!

2  Thank Anne R