3 people are viewing this hotel
PricelineUS$309
Expedia.comUS$238
Hotels.comUS$238
1,863 results
All reviews animation team tgi diving fish lobby bar sand fleas west end fried chicken dive shop water stations swimming area doughnuts deep woods wine bar nightly entertainment pina colada zip lining water taxi
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 December 2020

I took my 10 year old son on a vacation to Roatan from November 21st - November 28th and chose Henry Morgan because it it is right on the greatest beach in all of the Caribbean, West Bay beach. I have been to Roatan before so I knew I wanted to stay on West Bay Beach. While not a big fan of all-inclusive resorts, I had heard good things about Henry Morgan so I gave it a shot. WOW, were we pleasantly surprised!

We had a beach front room which was clean, simple and had great views of the crystal clear Caribbean Sea. So relaxing to sit on the deck and listen to sounds of the sea.

But you do not come to Roatan to spend time in your room. Henry Morgan has a huge beach area. And coming to Roatan during this time we often had the beach all to ourselves. So special to dig your toes in pure white Caribbean sand.

The second largest barrier reef in the world is just 30 feet off the shore line so snorkeling is the best I have done anywhere in the world. So easy and convenient to see all the sea world has to offer... we saw sea turtles almost every morning. Great experience for children.

What I was most pleasantly surprised about was the quality and variety of the food. We did not eat the same thing twice. Every breakfast, lunch and dinner was unique, with large varieties of excellent prepared. My son and I never missed a meal because the food was so good. The service was excellent. Never had an empty glass.

Even during these slow times, Henry Morgan provided live entertainment every night. Live performances, karaoke etc. were a big hit and great way to end a day.

I got the chance to meet the Manager of Henry Morgan, Ms. Lorenza, who was always accessible and gave great recommendations of things to do. She even invited me to the new Henry Morgan wine bar in the reception area where you taste high end Italian wines or my favorite Grappa, while munching on delicious little tasty hors d'oeuvres. What a way to spend my last night.

As everyone is a little hesitant to travel anywhere during this pandemic, Henry Morgan took all safety and health precautions necessary to keep its guests safe. I came back to the US with a clean bill of health and stories to tell for a lifetime. I highly recommend this beach resort with an fantastic Italian flare!!

Room tip: Beach Front if you can get it
Date of stay: November 2020
Reviewed 10 March 2020

Traveled to the Henry Morgan with Air Transat. The service was good and the rep at the hotel was excellent.Transfer to hotel was fine although the bus was a little small and room on the seats and between the aile was tight. The luggage travelled to the hotel on a separate truck. No issues, the luggage was the hotel when we arrived.

Check in was fine.The reception area is airy and filled with colourful Adironack chairs. However you can't drink there. Too bad it's a nice space. If you want wifi you have to pay for it or go for walk and grab a great coffee at the local coffee shop and you can find wifi there.

Rooms: we booked a supersaver room. The room itself was nice, bright and clean but we didn't care for the location. It had no balcony and the location was not great. Although we heard the band playing from the Hangover Hut (a local bar/restaurant) which was cool. This was our fault as we didn't pay close attention when we booked the category of room. The room only had one key (an actual key), so if we wanted the room cleaned we had to leave the key at the desk. A pit of a pain but you planned for it. They really should get a spare made. What if we lost it?

The resort itself reminded me of a large cottage complex - the kind you might find on a lake in northern Ontario. It's very laid back, very relaxing, quite and nothing fancy. The buildings are connected by raised wooden boardwalks and railings. This is not your typical resort found in the Dominican or Mexico. It has a charm to it. There is a newer section near the family pool but can't speak to the quality of the rooms. There are two pools - we didn't use them. We spent our time at the beach.

The beach is beautiful. White sand, crystal clear calm water - no seaweed or shells. and free of litter!! The swimming area has a hard sand bottom. Just beautiful.Lots of palms for shade and you'll need it. No issues with chairs and sure it got busy when cruise ships came it but it was fine. You can walk to the left on the beach until you run out of beach and snorkel (5 mn) It's a great spot. There is a scuba outfit on site. This is the 2nd largest coral reef in the world.

There is a nice deck near the beach and the main pook and is nice spot at night for a drink. The lobby bar closes at 11pm and the one by the beach I believe closes at 6. You can get some food (usually some sort of tacos at the beach bar) at certain times of the day. The drinks are limited - not even local beer but American. House wine is ok. If you want higher end wine there is wine (very nice selection of southern Italian wines) for sale at the wine/coffee bar (you can also get a great espresso or cappuccino here for about $2-3 US) . A wine tasting of some of their selection was provided free of charge 2x week. This was a nice touch.There is no water bottles provided as these are now prohibited in Honduras. There are plenty of water stations so bring your refillable water container. My biggest issue with the resort is that they serve drinks in the waxed lined paper soft drink cups. This is such a waste. I guess it could be a question of water needed to wash all of the glasses if reusable or washable plastic ones were used. We brought our own reusable insulated cups.

Food is ok. There is only the one buffet area available at the resort. There is enough variety and fresh fruit in the morning. No fresh juice. Most of the hot items are at best lukewarm and noticed many guests using the microwave to heat things up. You won't starve but after a few days you get tired of eating there. There are many options on the beach and in the area. We tried the Argentinian Grill and it was wonderful.

The hotel overall is good and has the nicest beach area and is well situated - close to the shops/restaurants in the area. Staff is friendly and most speak perfect English and some speak French. If you want a quite place to enjoy the beach and snorkel and maybe scuba dive this is place is for you. We'd return.

Room tip: Ask for a room near the family pool
6  Thank Villros8129
Reviewed 7 March 2020

The beach here is amazing! Great sunsets! Nice to be able to have sun or shade while laying in loungers on the beach. Security keeps sellers away if you lounge near the resort. Go left and in 5 min walk get in the water and snorkel away. Saw tons of fish and 1 sea turtle. If you turn right and walk down the beach for about 10-15 mins you get to Gumbalimba park. Great park to visit for zip lining and nature walk with the parrots and the monkeys. We had a guide just for the 2 of us. Resort was a good size, restaurant was just ok, no other food options. upgrade your room! We had a double bed in a tiny room and for $7 more per night we went to a king with a huge bathroom a large balcony with 2 hammocks and a small table in the room, so worth it. Also AC was better in the upgraded room. A cat also seemed to think she came with the room, came in if you gave her the chance, super sweet and friendly, she hung out on the hammock with me. Staff was all very nice, security on beach was great to chat with and ask where to visit. I don't dive but apparently everyone else does! All day long boats came in and out taking tours out to go diving. We rented a car which I suggest, just be slow as dogs and people just run into the street to cross so don't be in a hurry and your fine. We went from one end of the island to the other. You need to go to the Beach Club. Eat at Lion Fish Louie's to try some delicious Lionfish (it is great and I don't like fish). Lots of chairs to lounge in and the water is amazing. It was very quiet when we went and we jumped on the pier with some local kids. There is a little island there to swim around, lots of fish there to snorkel with. You can also do a horseback ride which takes the horses around the island. Not a long ride and very reasonable. You should also check out the Monkey and Sloth hangout. Very reasonable to get in ($10 if I remember correctly). We had our own guide, it is a small place so doesn't take too long to see the parrots and monkeys and sloths. If you want you go in with the monkeys for some pics of them climbing on you. Same for the parrots. The sloths are very cool animals. They let you hold one and tell you all about them. Then they put them back in the trees where they live, no cages for them. Unique experience for sure. Roatan is known for being bad for sand fleas and mosquitos. I m allergic to sand flea bites and have hives everywhere when bit so I used a high zinc (mineral based sunscreen) and take Blexten everyday I travel and I had no issues, no bites. My husband who usually has no issues did get bit up a bit. I found no mosquito issues but some small no see um's. Just bring bug spray for night. They did spray a very harsh chemical for the sand fleas every night at dusk which made you run for cover if you were still out, usually did it when most people were getting ready for dinner. This resort is dated, food just ok but the pools were beautiful and cleaned everyday (I didn't go in as I am a beach bum), the beach is amazing although I hear can be crazy on Cruise ship days (when we went there were no busy days), people are friendly, it is a cheaper place to stay all inclusive in Roatan, if you aren't a food snob you'll like it fine. Good value for the money.

Room tip: Upgrade! Do not take the Villa with a double bed, tiny rooms and hot.
Date of stay: November 2019
2  Thank Stacey A
Reviewed 28 February 2020 via mobile

Really average. Bad food. Nice staff. Crowded beach when the cruise ships were in. We paid for a room upgrade, and the first morning we were startled awake by someone with a gas powered bug fogger 10’ from our door at 5:45 am. Power went out every evening at 11 pm. Extra fee for WiFi was not worth it. Room upgrade also meant we were next to the loud thumping music every night.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Alison P
Reviewed 25 February 2020

Henry Morgan Resort

We were a group of approx 30 people traveling together for a wedding vacation.

Henry Morgan Resort

We were a group of approx 30 people traveling together for a wedding vacation.

GENERAL:
Reception is open 24 hours.
Check out is 11am.
The towel hut is open from 8am to 5pm.

ROOM:
Stayed in room B34 - PGV2 (Pool Garden View). Feb 17 to 24, 2020.

The blocks of rooms A and B are newer and near a new "family pool" (very shallow). The pool and gardens are lovely and it's very quiet over there (no music playing, and hardly any people either, since it's so far from the restaurant, bar, and beach).
FYI: If your room is in blocks A or B, it is a good 5-6 minute walk to the restaurant.

I would personally recommend asking to be in rooms that are in the blocks D or F. They are sorta close to the restaurant but far away enough that you don't hear the music at night (which doesn't stop until 11pm, and is very loud if you are in the beachfront rooms - block L).

Our room had ample lighting in the bathroom / closet area, but the bedroom only had one small sconce light overtop of the headboard and that is it. It is very difficult to see! Had to open the curtains on the window and/or open the door to let light in, to see!

The roof overhang between our room B34 and the next, B32, drips/leaks water when it rains and it drips right onto the staircase which runs between the two units - making them slippery and wet. Not a good design. The overhang should be improved.

Our room had a king bed that was wonderfully new and comfortable. We loved it. We had two small night stands on either side of the bed which each had 2 drawers. There is only one luggage stand/rack in the room so one of us had to set up on the floor. There was NO dresser in the room :(

In the bathroom there was a "closet" unit - 1 bar with several hangers, a safe, and 3 cubby holes. That is all we got while other friends of ours in other rooms got a dresser. Also, other friends of ours had a large full length mirror in their room, we did not have one of those. The ONLY mirror in our entire unit was the vanity one in the bathroom over the sink.

Our bathroom was quite large and well laid out. Porcelain vanity sink with mirror, modern vanity lighting, walk-in shower with window. One disappointment was the bathroom didn't have a laundry line to dry out wet clothes or bathing suits. It can be quite windy there and I didn't want to risk hanging things from a 2nd floor balcony for fear of them blowing away. So bring some twine with you so that you hang things on your balcony.

Check out is 11am.

FOOD/DRINK:
Main buffet has breakfast from 7am to 9:30am. Lunch from 12:30pm to 2:30pm. Dinner from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.
Snack bar by the pool/beach area is open 11:00am to 1:00pm and again from 3pm to 5pm.

Buffet: Overall, I liked the temperature and taste of the food. The buffet serves amazing chicken dishes in the evening.
The scrambled eggs, refried beans and fresh-made tortillas in the morning are excellent. There's always fresh fruit at all three meals. I didn't find enough vegetables or salad, at lunch or dinner. There's tons of carbs: plain rice, flavoured rice, potatoes, buns and bread all over the place. But hardly any vegetables. I wish there were more.
There's a full bar just outside the restaurant and another full bar steps away at the snack bar by the pool.
I really liked the coffee.
The wait staff will bring you wine, coffee, tea, juice - or you can go get it yourself.
There is a microwave upon a shelf in the main buffet area (sort of in the corner by the pasta station).

Snack bar: The snack bar serves amazing food. Fried chicken, fried pork bites, french fries, fresh donuts. People line up for the fried chicken because it is so good and it goes fast. Therefore, perhaps the resort should consider serving more of it. The tostadas were quite tasty too.

Bars:
- There is a small bar by the family pool near Blocks A and B. They only serve water, soft drinks, juice, beer. No alcohol or wine.
- There is a large bar in the main lobby / restaurant area, and a small bar within the snack bar by the pool that's near the beach. These two bars are full service. They have: water, beer, white and red wine, sometimes have sangria, iced coffee, pina colada, strawberry slushie (good for margarita/daquiri), lime mixer, a juice punch (for rum punch), several soft drinks (pepsi, 7up, soda, orange pop), gin, vodka, rum, whisky, tequila.

I was disappointed in a couple of things regarding the bars:
1) As already mentioned, the bar by the family pool near blocks A and B only had beer, water, soft drinks and juices. It would be nice if this were expanded to include wine and some spirits.
2) the two "full" bars near the restaurant and beach had a good variety as explained above, but was a little disappointed they had NO liqueurs on hand at all (no triple sec, no baileys, no sour apple - so you couldn't get any fun shots or funky drinks that you get at other resorts). My guess is that because everything has to be shipped into this island, it's too difficult to bring so many items into the resort.

SERVICE:
Pretty much every staff member I encountered was lovely. They are always smiling, very friendly, happy to help. Reception, servers in the buffet, bartenders at the bars, lifeguards by the pool, entertainers, towel guy, ALL of them were friendly and nice.

There are security guards by the beach in beige/brown uniforms who make sure people who don't have Henry Morgan bracelets do not come onto the resort. They also make sure that the vendors don't try to sit on the HM lounge chairs. Those are for guests only. (We witnessed security telling the jet-ski guy to get off a chair).

There are security guards in bright yellow golf shirts walking around within the HM resort. Most of them seemed ok, I didn't really interact with many of them. But, one night when I was walking back to my room alone (boyfriend was still at the evening show), I was approached by a security guy and he offered to help carry a bag. I said no, but he insisted. So I let him carry my bag. (I am pretty sure this is not security's job). Now, for the whole walk back to my resort, he tried to make chit chat with me, but his english was poor and I don't know much spanish. He knew I was Canadian and he was harrassing me for my contact info (he was holding out his phone and trying to get me to put in my name/number or Facebook name or something). I said No in a forceful way, to give the hint I was not interested, and at this point I was starting to get nervous he may follow me directly to my room. Thankfully one of my hotel neighbours was out for a smoke and he saw me saying No and trying to say goodnight and this guard got the hint that he should leave. I told management about it directly and they heard me out, wrote down the whole story and said they would investigate and said they are happy to receive this kind of feedback because it helps them improve. So it was very nice to be taken seriously and it sounds like they will look into it.

BEACH/POOLS:
The beach has very soft, light (almost white) sand. Very nice. There are tons of lounge chairs at this resort. We never had to "claim" a chair or get up early to grab one. There are always lots to select from, at the beach and at the pools. The only time it was busy was one day when cruise ship visitors were there, and on the weekend when some locals (Hondurans, Venezuelans, etc) were there.
There are many vendors walking along the beach trying to sell their wares. There's people selling jewelry, hair-braiding, massages, sea-doo rentals, sunglasses, shirts, hats, fresh fruit, banana bread, etc.
NOTE: Most will go away if you simply give them a firm "NO" and look away. But if you sift thru their wares (examine the jewelry or hats or shirts up close), they will "hound" you a little bit, try to barter with you, pester you a little. So only look if you are really interested because they will pester you a bit if you don't buy. There are some good deals to be had, though, so have a look if you like to shop. Our group bought a lot of the Roatan long sleeve polyester shirts that block sun and can be worn snorkeling. They come in vibrant colours and have nice designs on them.
Some of the vendors are just small children. They try to pull your heartstrings and get you to buy because they are labouring children. I found this one girl to be quite crafty, she really "worked it" to try to get you to buy. Be wary!

The two pools were quite clean and well kept. The one by the beach is deep and it's hard to see where the steps end, so be careful wading in. The family pool is quite shallow and hard to swim in. It's meant for just sitting around or for children to play.

The decks were clean in decent condition. There are a few old boards around the pool by the beach, one person in our group got a terrible sliver - so be cautious in bare feet.

I noticed there are many ramps and paths that are accessible for wheelchairs and strollers, which is great. Just be sure to ask for a main floor room as all the buildings have 2nd floor rooms that have stairs.

All in all a very nice time and no major complaints. Just feel the price is off, compared to other trips I’ve taken.
Henry Morgan is a 3+ star resort due to having no A la Carte restaurants and other small details that are missing (such as no dedicated theatre with stage for the shows), and yet is still the cheapest (or one of the cheapest) places on the island, so I guess Roatan is just plain pricey, and I can’t fault Henry Morgan for that.
But comparatively, I can stay at a 5-star resort in the Mayan Riviera for the same price or cheaper! So that is my beef.

Was very nice to experience it and recommend this place for first-timers to Roatan. But I probably wouldn’t go back just because all resorts there are so much more than Mexico.

Trip type: Travelled with family