1,360 results
All reviews afternoon tea courtyard room bombay sapphire distillery beautiful grounds the main house fresh milk in the fridge beautiful hotel hampshire countryside little touches glasshouse restaurant sandwiches eggs benedict lamb staff were attentive birthday treat evening meal clay pigeon shooting
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

My daughter got married at Oakley Hall last week.
During the planning they found the staff very helpful and knowledgeable.
The night before we’ve stayed in the cottage on the ground. It was lovely and very comfortable for 6 of us.
The ceremony was in the beautiful library attached to the room where we had the dinner and disco.
The meal was first class and plenty. The doors open onto the lovely terrace.
Half of the guests stayed for the night in the beautiful air conditioned rooms. The whole hotel is very clean and immaculate. We’ve found the staff very helpful and lovely.
The hotel and the ground is idyllic and very quiet.
5 * for all areas.
Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2018

We booked the bombay saphire experience and had the best time. Staying in a courthouse suite we had plenty space and the room was amazing. Dinner was perfect and the grounds were beautiful. The staff were all really helpful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 20 July 2018

Afternoon tea was - as usual - lovely. Sad to see the tea selection has been shortened a little but still plenty to offer.

Attentive staff despite a wedding happening on the premises.

Beautiful selection of cakes (rose water meringue was incredible) and a lovely glass of champagne to top it off.

Wander around the kitchen garden to see where lots of the vegetables are grown for the menu then home.

Very romantic.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are nice but the house rooms have prettier decor.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2018

We stayed for one night in one of the courtyard rooms. Our room was as I would expect of a 4 star hotel, nice but not special. We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant and both were nice.
All staff members were helpful and the grounds are lovely.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2018

I booked this hotel for my fiances birthday with a package to visit the Bomaby Sapphire Distillery at Laverstoke Mill plus an additional nights stay at the hotel the following day coming in at £340. This included bed and breakfast both nights in the deluxe room, plus the distillery tour and dinner on the first evening (£70 credit towards dinner). We arrived at just after 3pm after a very long drive and were looked up and down by the receptionist and greeted very frostily. The check in seemed like we were putting her out rather than being welcomed to the hotel which was strange as the hotel was dead with around 5/6 cars parked in the whole car park (my fiance was not wished happy birthday either even though it was specified on the booking and also I was asked over the phone to confirm which day was her birthday as they would go to an "extra effort"). We headed to the room to drop our bags off and realized we had been put in a room that was pokey at best with one tiny window that didn't open, had stains all over the curtains and dust settled on all the visible surfaces with dangerous electronics and broken cupboards (see pictures). Very disappointing. We made the unfriendly receptionist aware that the room was unsatisfactory as we left to get our taxi to the distillery to which she responded with no apology, "I'll let someone know" as if this was commonplace. On arriving back after the distillery tour we were told the manager wasn't available to speak to as it was 8.00pm on a Sunday so it was too late. Our dinner reservation was for 8.30pm and we had worked up quite the appetite so we decided to enjoy our evening as much possible rather than going round in circles with the unhelpful staff. We arrived at the restaurant for our dinner reservation and were greeted by the friendliest member of staff we experienced at the whole hotel an English waiter who was attentive and polite but was also a good laugh as we were there to have fun for my fiances birthday this was nice. Most of the other staff were unfriendly and stuffy so this was quite refreshing. Unfortunately he was not made aware of the fact that it was a birthday celebration before hand even though the reservation was made 1 month in advance, but wished many happy returns all the same. We ordered a bottle of champagne to accompany our meal and again our drinks were kept topped up by the waiter who also checked regularly to make sure everything was to our liking. When it came to the end of the meal it was the French restaurant manager who bought our bill over which was slapped down on the table with not a single word said to us (he had also reminded us constantly for the last half an hour that the restaurant would be closing soon so hurry up with your champagne, this was from 10.00pm onward). As no explanation was given by him and I'd been handed a bill for £178.42 (Food & Drink £88.42, Champagne £90) I went to ask him how the credit worked with our distillery tour dinner reservation and also to let him know any extras should be charged to the room. To which I was told "you do realize you only get £70 so you wont be getting the champagne for free?" (you don't say) All very strange service from the manager, if you ask me it's quite rude and presumptions from someone who is supposed to be of managerial level. We were rushed out of the restaurant along with the only other diners we saw that evening only to then see the restaurant manager and staff having a great time on the terrace for the rest of the night. Again we were made to feel like we were being rushed and were putting the staff out. We had planned to have a drink on the terrace but didn't feel comfortable with the staff drinking and smoking near us so we decided to order another bottle of champagne to the room which arrived some time later, bought by the restaurant manager who shoved it through the door again with not a single word uttered to me and only after he left did I realize he hadn't bought flutes to drink the champagne. When I went to ask for flutes I was told by him "well you didn't ask for them, you only asked for champagne in an ice bucket". The next morning we received our breakfast in our dusty room (at this point my fiance had lumps coming up on her face and neck from all the dust in the air due to her allergies) so we rushed our breakfast and headed down to reception to see if we could find a manger or someone to speak to about the room again. Not once during our whole trip were we greeted with a smile or even a hello from the reception staff and this occasion was no different. I went over and engaged the receptionist and explained again the problems in the room to which she agreed to move us to another room without consulting the manager (not sure why the other receptionist couldn't have done this). The new room was satisfactory with no dust, stains or dangerous electronics. We enjoyed a day at the Avbury Stones and an evening meal out with friends who live nearby in Marlborough. The next morning we tried to go for breakfast at 9am only to find maintenance men working on the entrance doors to the restaurant area who told us to go through a door into the kitchen that would bring us out in to the restaurant area where breakfast would be served. We emerged from this door to be greeted by a telling off from a member of staff who accused us of sneaking into the kitchen where we weren't allowed and had no interest in the fact that we were told to go through there by another member of staff because the main doors were covered in wet paint and blocked with scaffolding. Exactly the type of friendly greeting we had come to expect if I'm honest. After eating breakfast we packed our luggage and loaded our car up ready to leave then headed to check out. Again we were looked up and down with a frosty reception, we were not asked how our stay had been or anything of the sort but instead I was handed a bill with the full food and drinks from our evening meal included in addition to a tray charge for breakfast and some terrace drinks we had expected to be on there. When I queried this I was told that we must have eaten there twice and that this was for lounge food not an evening meal (we had only eaten one evening meal there which was booked 1 month in advance and the restaurant manager was made fully aware we were guests at the hotel and he even lectured me on champagne not being free because we only had £70 credit with the distillery package). We in fact worked out surprise surprise the £70 hadn't been deducted from our evening meal food bill. We were presented with an amended bill and no apology for the mix up or accusations. After paying up I waited a minute or so in awkward silence at the desk for a "thank you" or "we hope you enjoyed your stay" this never came. I had to ask her if she'd like to hear about whether we enjoyed our stay and proceeded to let her know about the issues we had during our visit. No apology, no concern just a sarcastic thank you and a question of whether we were trying to get some money refunded. I explained to her that I run a successful web design business and my fiance is a trainee financial advisor so money was not an issue it was more about the experience for us, which had been terrible. We also regularly stay at a much higher class of establishment than this all over the world so our expectations of service at a 4* are based on many previous experiences. This pretty much summed up the whole trip. The attitude and service of the staff was terrible from start to finish with the only exception being our waiter at dinner and the cleaners. I'm 6'4 and have many tattoos and my fiance is of mixed race and hails from Manchester so I'm not sure if our treatment had something to do with being judged on these aspects. The hotel seemed a lot more suited to business functions than special occasions and the service we received also reflected this. Our only reason for choosing this hotel was the proximity to the distillery and good reviews. I'm not 100% sure what we did to deserve this stay but we would certainly not recommend it to anyone. Sorry for the essay but I feel that other young couples coming to stay deserve to know how they will be treated.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple