All reviews citrus farming harvest volcano sunrise forest nature retreat guests indonesia driver steamboat
Reviewed 23 February 2017

Excellent management and staff. The villas are almost new and very comfortable and the grounds are beautifully laid out, well maintained, and were constantly being developed throughout the extended period that I stayed. There are beautiful walks through the various farming and horticulture areas where dozens of farmers and gardeners work their magic: papaya, strawberries, pineapples, bananas, guava, citrus and all kinds of vegetables and flowers and of course peanuts. Most of the food was naturally organic and the chef is keen to please.

Room tip: Most villas have wonderful views of the volcanoes to the East.
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Jim A
Reviewed 16 February 2017

As has been said, the quiet, the green everywhere, the long-range views to the east, especially in the morning, make thing place an outstanding place to get away from city life. Clearly every effort has been made by the owner and staff to achieve 5-star experience, and they are close, but just a few areas need refinement, to go from 3-star, to 5-star. The main things I'd do to improve the experience are:
- stop all combustion-engine vehicles from moving anywhere on the property, past the driveway (golf carts would fit the otherwise very quiet theme better than the frequent motorcycles).
- hire staff who speak the language(s) of the guests
- expand the range of international-inspired gourmet vegetarian cuisine choices

Room tip: for the best quiet and luxury get a "villa" with big glass windows to the east.
Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
PuriBagusVilla, Manajer at Bagus Agro Pelaga, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2017

1) Dear John,

Many thanks for the marvelous review, we are very happy that you had such an enjoyable stay and we do hope to welcome you back in your next vacation to Bali.

Warm regards,
Luh Putu Sri Kasih

Reviewed 31 January 2016 via mobile

Very impressed with what they have done here in a beautifully quiet part of Bali. The rooms were stunning and the view beautiful especially the sunrise in the morning. The food at both dinner and breakfast was beautifully presented and very tasty. The only negative were the flies but clearly they loved it as much as us. We will be back.m

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henry Vurens va... E
PuriBagusVilla, Puri Bagus Management at Bagus Agro Pelaga, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2016

Dear Henry Vurens,

Warmest Greetings from Bagus Agro Pelaga!

Thank you for your valuable comment regarding to your recent experience with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our hotel ground and facilities we served.

Feel sorry about the flies that made your holiday a bit uncomfortable, we will coordinate with our team to follow up this issue immediately.

On behalf of the entire team,we look forward to your return during your next visit at Bagus Agro Pelaga.

Reviewed 28 May 2015

green everywhere, but need rubish bin, they still build something, but I dnot know what
too large if must walking, we are walking, but many people use motorcycle, the staff not really friendly,, they have rose garden there..

Room tip: bring your own food
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank dewiarini
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed there 4 years ago for one night and was charmed by the view, especially at sun rise, the quietness and the villas. For this reason I recommended it to friends who had come to Bali for their honey moon and joined them there. I still like the place but there are a few major minuses now, which I feel obliged to share.
First, the place is not good for exploring the north part of Bali, as I thought, unless one is willing to take the very bad road from Petang to the main road that goes to Bedugul and the three lakes, which can be travelled only by 4-wheel car. We were with a very bad car and had to return and go down all the way almost to Mengwi in order to reach the three lakes. The same goes for Kintamani and Singaraja - both are not near and roads are winding and taking a lot of time.
Location is excellent to have a rest and enjoy the scenery. The verandas are great, but there is no private swimming pool to each villa - only one pool which is not maintained. The place is too cold for a swim anyway. In the evening one needs a sweater and socks.
Booking com describes a kitchenette in each room, there is no such a space.
The sliding doors of the verandas and the bathroom were too difficult to open and close. In my opinion the villas are not well maintained, perhaps there's not many tourists going there. The hot water is enough for one person, the other have to wait. The first night the water stopped at all around 10pm and came back only in the morning. The second night there was no such a problem but maybe because I asked the staff to check out what was wrong with the water. I find the villas too overpriced for what is offered.
The place itself seems to earn profit from camping, agricultural production and tourist groups coming for lunch.
Booking com also describes a few restaurants, that also does not exist. It is possible to eat there but the only option is a set menu for 200.000 rupii, which is too expensive for the location and the food provided. It was delicious as all the food in Bali. The menu was: salad entry and arak-strawberry based drink, main course of vegetables and barbecued in advance (not sure how much in advance) fish and meat, which were warmed up with tasty sambal, coconut oil and butter (on our request the margarine was replaced with butter) on a pan on the table in front of us, fried banana for desert. The food was delicious and a lot. My friends said they ate for the first time so much meat in a Balinese restaurant. I live in Bali and I can say this is true. However quantity not always means good quality. Staff made their best for us to feel satisfied but we could not enjoy a long dinner, since all was prepared very fast and the only thing we could do after we finished eating was to leave. Local people don't like to stay late and anyway we were too full to even breath. During the night I got such a severe stomach problems that I thought I would need to go to a hospital. I felt better only when I managed to finally get up from my bed and throw up in the morning. Maybe my stomach is too sensitive as my friends didn't have any problems but I would never eat there again. The 200.000 rupii bill was charged with 21% tax, which the manager deducted after we protested that we hadn't been told about it. Actually, I asked for them to give us the menu from which to chose what to eat instead of this set menu but my request was ignored. I do understand this is a way for them to earn extra money from their quests but such places lose me as customer.
We wanted to rent a motorbike for the next day to go to the three lakes. The guy said it was possible and asked me how much we were willing to pay. I told him 35-40 000 - this is the daily price in Ubud and the other tourist areas. In the morning we were told we could rent only a car for 150.000 rupii. The guy gave us a really old car, perhaps his own one. On the way to the lakes it just stopped in the middle of the road and we had to wait there for a whole hour and a half for another car, which came with a driver, a guy who told me to talk to him only in Indonesian, not in English. Well, he works as a security, not as a driver. Because of the broken car we could make it only to the first lake, there was no time for the other two lakes since it was getting late. So, it was very much a lost day for my friends.
Of course, there was an attempt to charge us 250.000 for the car when settling the bill before checking out, there was also an attempt to get extra money from us by telling us that we had broken some part of the car.
So, overall, I am very disappointed with this place and would not recommend it to anyone again. It seemed a very nice and quiet place and I liked it a lot 4 years ago, I always wanted to go back. On the other hand, at the time I did not stay there as a guest, I did not pay for my stay and did not deal with the staff. I stayed there with friends because we took part in a promotional video about the camping site.
The present manager is an experienced one and flexible and understanding. He did not charge us for the 3rd bed, which was for me, deducted the tax on the dinner and told us he was surprised when he saw us leaving with that old car. The other guy, however, is only interested in ripping off the guests and this is a shame because they are losing customers in this way.
One more thing, there is a common space between two of the villas - with sofas and chairs. On the second evening local people, perhaps the staff, came there and had a sort of gathering until late, they hadn't gone when we went to bed. At the same time there were guests in both villas but no one seemed to care if they were disturbed. So, even if the privacy and quietness of the place still remain its main values, the chances not to be able to enjoy these are too high.

Date of stay: August 2011