“Amazing coffee and cake, disappointing greeting”

The Beehive Coffee House,
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Downend
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Went here yesterday for the first time in a year and was really impressed with some of the changes. The menu is great, particularly if you’re with kids as there’s an adorable range of baby freak shakes etc. My friend had a kale, spinach and mango smoothie and I had a decaf flat white, both of which were very good. We also had a coffee cake and a caramel shortbread, again both fresh and very tasty. I will definitely be returning to try some other things!

The only thing that slightly let our visit down was a comment I had from one of the staff when I arrived. The sign said to wait to be seated, which I did, and when greeted I asked for a table for two. There were plenty of free tables, but I was told that my friend and I could only sit on the high bar stools opposite the cash counter. I questioned this and was told that tables were saved for bigger groups. Whilst I understand this to a certain extent, it was not very welcoming and implied that our custom wasn’t wanted. In addition to this, I’m six months pregnant and my friend is 8 months, so being expected to use high barstools seemed a little unreasonable!

5  Thank Tori C

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

What a lovely place to go for food and a shake. This is my second visit and they didn’t disappoint. All of the staff are so friendly & helpful. The coffee house itself is a wee bit small but if you are able to sit down & enjoy their food and drink, wow. Love this place so much.

1  Thank Matt T
Reviewed 3 March 2018

Lovely cup of coffee and large selection of snacks available.Nice atmosphere and good seating.i love their toasted tea cakes and panini's.good choice of cakes and pastries too.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

I had time to kill while having car serviced so I called for a Coffee & a Cake.

Its a fairly small Coffee Shop on Downends main street. A nice bright area with a pleasant atmosphere. A decent reasonably priced menu & the normal selection of cakes & drinks.

Very polite & helpful staff.

There was a sign basically saying we are short of staff so bear with us. As a customer I dont want to see this. There was at least 3 staff & they werent that busy. I dont think the sign is good business but thas just my opinion.

1  Thank diddydave1001
Reviewed 10 February 2018

After hearing lots about the freakshakes here my husband and I decided to give them a try. I was delighted to see a Custard Cream Milkshake on the menu so ordered that and a coffee and my husband had the Oreo Milkshake. We had to wait about 10 mins to be seated on a Saturday afternoon but it was inside so wasn't too bad. There are lots of delightful looking cakes to choose from and I think if I visited again I would have a panini and a cake instead of a freakshake. My coffee was nice and the freakshakes in themselves look amazing but they are made from very cheap ingredients and they don't taste that great. Don't get me wrong, we drank / ate them up but I have had much better milkshakes at various fast food joints in Bristol for similar prices. I'm glad we visited but I don't think we'll be returning for a freakshake any time soon!