“True Blue was our Casablanca”

True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in True Blue
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 October 2009

We fell in love with the easy hospitality and ambiance of True Blue. The outdoor bar/restaurant by the harbor was so comfortable and relaxed, we spent hours hanging, drinking and enjoying the views and fun entertainment they had several nights a week. The crowd was a mix of med students, locals and cruisers, all ages, all nationalities.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. We were actually staying on our boat in the harbor and I suggested cooking classes to learn about the local foods. Well, soon enough, wonderful weekly cooking classes were offered and I now can make a wonderful callaloo soup.

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights when our boat was getting painted. The room was spacious with a full kitchen , comfortable bed and good shower. Cleanliness was not an issue, the rooms were attended to daily. There's a nice pool at the top of the property and the concierge, front desk staff, and owners were more than happy to be helpful and responsive.

We spent lots of time relaxing in the bar and ate several good meals in the restaurant. It really felt like our Caribbean Casablanca. It was easy to just let the water and wind and relaxed atmosphere provide the quintessential Caribbean experience

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarmelaB

Reviewed 8 October 2009

i stayed here in august 2009, i have stayed at many hotels on the island and this one was outstanding..the front desk staff was helpful, the waitress staff in the resturant were very friendly and the hous keeping staff had my room spootless everyday..the rooms very comfortable and inviting, but what topped everything was the spectacular ocean and sunset views..i wish i could have stayed longer. i will definately stay there again and would definately recommend this place to all my friend travelling to the island of GRENADA

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank blackjade
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We arrived at the reception to check in and had to stand waiting whilst the receptionist carried on talking to drivers and other members of staff, as first impressions count, we felt it rather rude.

Both my husband and I choose this hotel based on the location and favourable reports. I had requested a 'nice room' as it was a special week for the both of us. In fairness we were informed an upgrade would be extra, but we would be allocated the best of the basic rooms. Our room was fine, we had a nice balcony with two loungers and a superb view. The room included a kitchen and en suite bathroom.

The bathroom was fine, basic but OK, the shower was the worst I have ever come across, no pressure at all, I did mention this to reception and was told a plumber would be called. I have no idea if that happened as nothing further was heard.

We were on a bed and breakfast arrangement which is included by the hotel.
I really wish we could have catered for ourselves and had a cheaper price. Whilst the setting is pleasant the breakfast is the most pathetic I have ever come across. The variety is sparse, a small microwave houses the pots of desserts instead of yoghurt's.

The juice was nearly always empty with the sludgy bits, there was a dish of 'fresh fruit' that looked very sad and past its sell by date. Bananas were often not available (the Island grows them, the supermarkets are full of them!) A lady was available to cook independent omelettes and so on, but spent more time in the kitchen chatting to her friend. On one occasion my husband removed the frying pan that had been left on the burner just as it started to smoulder.

Pleasant enough staff, but a dead loss. We did have a BBQ on our last night, and in fairness the food was fine.

Our last day before we checked out, I noticed we had almost ran out of toilet roll, and at about 8am rang reception and requested a roll, I was told this would not be possible until housekeeping came at 9am!!!! and in the meantime?
I can honestly say I have never heard of anything like it before, unbelievable. We never did receive one so I had to take one from the public toilets.

All in all, this hotel could do with a brush up, I do not think there is any excuse for shoddy breakfasts, everything else is OK, pretty basic. I would not choose to return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bikingdiver
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My girlfriend and I went scuba diving in Grenada with a group from our local dive shop. We stayed at True Blue Bay in July. The resort is near the airport so the transfer in and out is pretty quick. The staff at the resort are very nice and in particular the concierge staff and front desk people are very helpful. The resort is beautiful and well kept. The dive operation, Aquanauts, has one of their bases at the resort so diving is easy. The only thing that was not so good was the restaurant and the service at the restaurant. The food is OK but a little pricey. The service though needs improvement. They also need better, softer music in the restaurant. Overall we had a great time at True Blue Bay and in Grenada. The island is beautiful and the people are nice. The diving was pretty good, too. We would highly recommend Aquanauts. Our package price for the group through the dive shop was good. We had to set up our own airline flights and there aren't many choices going into Grenada. The flights on American were a bit pricey and they don't fly in and out every day so we had to adjust the trip to add an extra day. Be sure to check out the spices in Grenada and try nutmeg ice cream! One last thing to note about True Blue Bay ... there is no beach so this is a good dive resort. If you want to spend a lot of time on the beach in Grenada you might want to stay somewhere along Grand Anse beach.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank spiritquest
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The Good: True Blue Bay Resort (TBBR) is has beautiful scenery and large room with plenty of hot water, good water pressure, lots of soap, etc, etc. The owner and his wife are very charming and seem to like talking to the guests. TBBR has Grenada Aquanauts dive operation on the premises. Grenada Aquanaut is a first rate dive op with wonderful boats and very accomidating staff.
The Bad: As was the case on my last stay at TBBR 7 years ago, the True Blue Bay Resort and its accompanying bar have the most poor service that I have ever seen in my 15 years of 3 trips per year to Caribbean islands. The resteraunt and bar have great scenery of True Blue Bay and the food is acceptable yet a bit expensive, but the staff appear to be totally oblivious of the most simple things like refilling you glass of water or coming back to you table at all unless you get up, walk over and ask for help. Please understand...I am very accepting of "Island Time", but this staff appear to put off by thought of checking on their guests.

The real shame here is that if the resturant and bar had their act together, True Blue Bay Resort would be the perfect all-inclusive place to stay in Grenada. The fix would be so simple...be attentive to your guests!

Bottom-Line: I strongly recommend the hotel, but I would go out of my way to avoid their resturant and bar.

• Stayed: July 2009
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
28.7 km away
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & Restaurant Grenada
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & R...
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
2.4 km away
Spice Island Beach Resort
Spice Island Beach Resort
#1 of 11 in Grand Anse

Been to True Blue Bay Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!