“Nice day on Lake Danao”

Lake Danao National Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Ormoc
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My wife and I took a small group of teens up to Lake Danao and rented a floating cabana for the day. It is really beautiful there and the swimming is good once you pull your cabana to the middle of the lake, everybody had a good time. We brought our own food but did buy some cooked clams from the local vendor there. Be warned there is not really much there to buy as far as food goes so you should bring everything you need with you.

We rode our motorcycles to the Lake and it took about a hour as our home is on the other side of Ormoc and we stopped to get some lechon manok too along the way. I would not suggest going after a heavy rain because the roads can become pretty bad, a large stretch of the road is dirt and rock.

Overall Lake Danao is nice and is good for a day visit. It could be much better with a little investment but it is is the Philippines so all's you can do is enjoy it for what it is.

4  Thank Dave L
"nice view"
"pleasant ride"
"cold wind"

Reviewed 18 October 2012

It is the place where we used to hang out with my friends during our childhood years...I love to do boating, swimming and you will be relaxed at the floating cottages available for renting.

6  Thank LanzSister
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We went with a truck load of the extended family where we rented a floating cottage that had a BBQ on it. We barbecued pork and drank Red Horse all day. I loved it. Its quite cool and misty up there so I'd advise you to take a jumper or the like.

5  Thank Reuben K
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Rented a motor-bike and visited based on being one of the few things to do in Ormoc on Tripadvisor.

This spot is not particularly easy to get to, nor very difficult. It took about 40 minutes to get there, most of it uphill. At the entrance is a little place to rent a floating cottage. A previous reviewer mentioned food . . . All that was available was rice and the lake clams. I am not a clam fan. Had I known I would have brought food from the city. That was annoying.

The lake itself is absolutely gorgeous. Swimming in the middle of the lake, seeing the unspoiled forest is magical. That view itself is worth the visit.

There is tourist potential here, but it is mostly unrealized. A map of specific trails, bikes to rent, kayaks to rent, etc. would be a good start. These weren't available when I was there, or they were not easy enough to find for a non-native speaker.

6  Thank Nolan S
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Lake Danao is a natural fresh water lake situated in the middle of the forest reservation about 18 kilometers North East of Ormoc City. It is more than 2 kilometers long and about a kilometer wide (max).

To enjoy the lake, the best thing to do is to rent a floating cottage (several are maintained by the community association) and pull yourselves (cottage and all) to the middle of the lake using ropes secured to the opposite ends of the lake.

You can also try the treats prepared by the locals which include freshwater 'tahong' and edible fern. The freshwater 'tahong' is harvested by the locals from the lake itself and you have several options on how you would like it cooked like adobo style, hot & spicy, or as a broth, among others. The fern is best eaten as a salad. You can also try the guinataang baki (frog).

Visitors are however cautioned that the lake is situated far from the city and the route is not that safe after dark. It would be best to go there early, enjoy the scenery, and leave for Ormoc City proper before 5 in the afternoon. :-)

9  Thank JojoPasky