“Poor signposting, not worth the drive from south Dublin”

Red Mountain Open Farm
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in Donore
More attraction details
Owner description: Red Mountain Open Farm is a new, great and affordable day out. Open all year round it is the ideal destination for family outings, Birthday and Hen parties, fun and educational tours, for corporate team building and company days. Special needs groups and youth clubs also find the Open Farm ideal. Each visiting Group is catered for separately and we invite groups to speak to us in advance, to discuss their individual needs, likes and dislikes. Additionally, we have special seasonal celebrations at Halloween, Christmas, Patrick’s Day, Easter, May Day and Summer Camps. Watch our site for details of upcoming events.
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I went on a 10EUR deal for a family of 5. It took awhile to find the farm due to poor signposting along the way. Once there, it was underwhelming for the effort we put in driving and searching for it. The kids had fun enough, but there were just few animals: a pig, couple of donkeys, some rabbits that kids can pet, sheep and goat, and that's about it. There were rides for 2.50Eur per person, which is a ripoff considering there's hardly anything else to see or do. There was an indoor and an outdoor playground, and a sheltered place to eat, but these don't redeem the place. There is a bigger and infinitely nicer farm and playground in Donabate at half the distance from Dublin. I will charge this experience to research.

1  Thank memm99

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We visited red mountain open farm expecting it to be like Newgrange farm, which we have visited many times. Unfortunately it was nothing like it and the visit was an utterly disappointing and overall dismal experience. The coffee shop and ride on tractors are in a dark, damp shed and some of the toddler ride-ons were broken, with sharp edges. The toilets were disgusting and unlit. They had also increased the charge of all the extra rides from 2euro to 2.50, obviously to cash in on the visitors over the midterm. They were overpriced even at 2 euros, as the barrel ride looked unsafe and consisted of a few minutes' drive around a concrete area.

We were hard pushed to spend an hour and a half there, atndmost of that was spent with the kids on the slides, which they could have done in any playground. We had bought the ticket on a groupon deal so we just made the best of it, but if we had paid full price I would have been really disappointed and annoyed. AVOID!

3  Thank L J
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I brought my two nieces here for a day out as it was her 6 th birthday, it's says OPEN FARM it is certainly not all the animals are in behind small pens and cages, they only had 2 lamb and a sheep with a few hens and cockerel! We went into the Coffey shop which was allright, but the room was a disgrace the smell you make you vomit!!!

Then the other tractor rides which they have on the website All have extra charges, it also says ' farm walk ' or somhing like that, it's just a open field with nothing to see.

My nieces wanted to go to the toilet, we went into it, it was just a little room with no toilet paper, we couldn't actuall use it nas the door wouldnt close!! We had to change one of the kids dippers so we went into another room which was for that, it was a little damp room with a changing bench with a old dirty towel on it. Which I wouldn't even put the child on! We left after 10 mins and I would never dare go back! If you want an open farm you should go to Newgrange farm!

2  Thank Sally T
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I decided to write this review following the postive visit we had yesterday to Santa in Red Mountain Farm. I had read the number of mixed reviews before the visit and 2 people said that it isn't all that great. From the verbal comments made to me and some of the negative reviews, it appears that they may not have read the itinary properly. I do think that at full price for say 2 adults and 2 children costing €24 before adding your present and pony rides etc, it is a bit steep. I would not have booked in the first place at that price. But at the city deal price of €10 for 2 adults and up to 3 children it was good value, considering that there are a few extras you need to pay for if you want, for example, a Santa gift and photo.

We had 2 children aged 6 and 9 and our friends had 2 children aged 4 and 8. From start to finish, the children had a really good time. Santa was lovely and the presents (€6 each) were pretty decent. Better than previous venues at similar price to what we had paid. The photo is definitely over priced at €8, but if you bring your own camera there is no problem. It was all under one roof and was warm and dry inside despite freezing wet weather outside. There was a play area in an adjoining barn which the kids enjoyed and would probably still be there if we didn't peel them away. The toilets were mentioned in other reviews as being in poor condition but all it was was the straw on the ground that were on people's feet going in as the barns were full of straw from the animal pens. There was soap dispensers in the bathrooms and sanitisers in the barns if you wanted to use them after petting the animals. My one suggestion would be that there could be 2 or 3 circits on the pony rides rather than 1 around the pen for the €2 per child.

I would recommend this venue for Santa visits, but read the itinary so you know what to expect.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

My sister and I brought our 4 children all under the age of 7 to the Halloween event at Red Mountain Open Farrm. We paid a special price for the event but on arrival we discovered that this was basically just an admission charge to the farm and on entering the place, anything worth doing was all extra. I totally agree with the last review that it's only a way of getting you in the door. We had no option but to pay 2 euro extra each for the rides which for us was 8 euro as there was nothing else to do. The place was over-crowded and you couldn't see any of the animals that were in pens or the few old toys lying around. I have sice seen that another offer is on for Santa, all I can say is ''Beware of the hidden charges'' as in the fine print I noted that it is 6 euro extra for a present from Santa, what child will not ask for a present !! We were mighty glad to leave the place that does not resemble a farm at all. The place is badly sign posted and i must add that the roads leading to the farm are not for the faint hearted. We drove down country lanes and had to drive into ditches as cars were trying to get by us. We were very glad to get back on the motor way heading for home.

3  Thank Kathyden