Discover Slovakia with Dr. Branislav
Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Review Highlights
Genealogy Research in Posa, Slovakia

In doing family genealogy research of my maternal great grandparents, I knew they came from Posa... read more

Reviewed 29 November 2023
Hugh Q
With gratitude to Dr. Branislav whose curiosity & tenacity helped us reconnect with family

Dr. Branislav was an amazing guide for our trip to Slovakia and onto Vienna. He used our genealogy... read more

Reviewed 6 July 2023
Valarie G
Rowayton CT

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 May 2019

My husband and I traveled to Presov, Slovakia to find the villages where all 4 of his grandparents were born. I was able to find the birth records and the four villages before the trip, but was worried we'd only be driving through the villages because we don't speak Slovak and would be unable to communicate. I found Dr. Branilsav on Trip Advisor, read the raving reviews, and decided to take a chance. What a GREAT decision that was!! I sent the birth records I found along with a pedigree for him, and he not only helped us communicate, but found a cousin of my husband, who was also the mayor in the first small village of 68 people! He even had the same last name as my husband's mother! We would have NEVER been able to do that without Dr. Branislav! He set up another appointment with a historian in the next town, whose mother was also related to my husband's family.

Dr. Branislav's experience and knowledge of Slovakia are wonderful, and he described landmarks and places to see on our travels. He even brought us popular Slovakian snacks for the trip! He also knew the history of the villages we visited and helped us walk through the church cemeteries (even in the rain!) to find possible family members! He has a PhD in Hotel Management and Tourism and is the Tourism Director for the city of Presov. Very impressive young man!!!!

If you are looking for a translator and tourism professional who knows the areas of interest and historical information in Slovakia, you should hire him for your next trip!

Date of experience: May 2019
doctorbranislav, Owner at Discover Slovakia with Dr. Branislav, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2019

Thank you Cathy and Mark for your visit and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 13 October 2018

My daughter and I visited Markušovce, Slovakia, the village where my mother was born 98 years ago. Branio spent one (long) day helping us to get information, meet relatives, and even found us a lovely place to stay! Branio did his homework, and ours, and had a great day planned for us at the church, meeting with the priest, at the town hall, and visiting relatives. He sent us additional genealogical information he had researched prior to our meeting. He was prompt, organized, polite, fun, interested and interesting. We hit the jackpot with Branio as our guide. He is a pro.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 13 October 2018

We flew to Slovakia to see where my ancestors were from and to learn about them. Not knowing a lick of Slovak nor where to go for information, we thought we'd better find a guide. We were fortunate enough to find Branio.

We didn't know what to expect having a guide as we'd never done this before! But Branio was amazing. He was knowledgeable, kind, helpful, and seemed truly to enjoy his work. We were both very impressed. Not only did he help us find valuable information about our family (and current family members in Slovakia, which was such a treat), but he was also very pleasant and fun to spend the day with.

10/10 Thank you Branio!

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

We came to Presov area to get to know the home towns of my father & his parents.
My father & his patents were of the very few lucky ones who survived the annihilation, the Holocaust.
My father was very young when he left Slovakia and his parents passed away few yers ago.
There are no family and/or friends left in Slovakia to talk or ask about the years our family lived there.
So traveling without a guide would be somewhat meaningless.
Branislav took us to the right places, gave us plenty of explanations about the past, about Jewish history and about present issues. He even took us to an excellent restaurant...
He helped us a lot communicating with locals in Giraltoce, and thus we were able to find old pictures of our grandparents in the town's library.
And he had done all with a lot of commitment and without limiting us on time.
So if you need a guide, search no more. Branislav is the one!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 24 September 2018

On our recent first trip to Slovakia on August 22, 2018, we were guided for the entire day by our wonderful friend Branio. He was tireless, and very patient in helping us find the villages of our Slovakian ancestors in the towns of Janovce and Zdiar, eastern Slovakia. He was integral in helping us communicate with the local people (as our own knowledge of the Slovak language is basically non-existant). His fee was very reasonable for the amount of time he spent with us, which was from 9:00 AM, untal after 7:30 PM that day. He is a very intelligent and hard-working young man who is definitely a credit to his country, and a great help to us foreigners. We would highly recommend him if you are in need of a local guide in Slovakia. When we visit there again, we will be sure to engage his services. Thank you, Branio, for contributing to the wonderful experience we had in Slovakia!

Date of experience: August 2018
branislav s, Majiteľ at Discover Slovakia with Dr. Branislav, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Dear Richard & Mary Beth! It was my pleasure to be a part of your visit of Slovakia. Hope to see you soon!