“Morals over economics?”

The Anglers Rest
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2020

Firstly, let me say this is a good pub, And the food is excellent, my particular Steak and Ale pie being a masterclass in luscious meatiness (children’s food - Chicken goujons etc - also v good)

I suppose I’m writing this review because of a curious thing one of the staff said to me. Before ordering I asked if they were partaking in the government ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme. The young lady said they were not. As most places are I enquired why? (Expecting a sensible answer like, “We’d end up with more guests than we currently have the capacity for”) but the answer was “We are doing alright so we thought it’s better to leave it for those firms that are worse off”

?? - Eh? Like the massive multinationals (McDonalds etc)

Noble? Undoubtedly! But utterly bonkers. This is a great pub that appeared to be nowhere near capacity (seats next to river busy, but only 3 or 4 (of maybe 20 inside) tables taken. This is exactly the sort of establishment that should be taking advantage of this initiative, having probably not pulled a single pint in March & April.

Right now the Eat Out to Help Out scheme is a wonderful opportunity for small independent businesses to be obtaining revenue that would ordinarily go to supermarkets (yes, those massive conglomerates that have decimated local independent retailers), as people eat out rather than eat in.

Anyway, I hope the proprietor changes his mind, because frankly he has a business more deserving of the increased patronage than most.

If you do find yourself in Millers Dale (on The Monsal Trail) pop in and order some food. It’s excellent.

1  Thank Steve O
Write a reviewReviews (382)

Reviewed 9 August 2020 via mobile

Being a publican myself this little gem has left me envious. On arrival we parked the car and wondered over to the pub. We were met by an extremely polite member of the team and were very quickly shown how to order. The ladie behind the bar was outstanding had all the time in the world. Asking her is this your pub??? And the answer was no i just work here would have thought she was the land lady as she was so passionate about her job. Land lord and lady ladie you have a gem. Just wish I could remember her name but old age has the better of me. The person in question was mature. A meal by the river amazing. Hot roast beef cob chips and salad out of this world

1  Thank Mike N
Reviewed 6 August 2020 via mobile

This one of those hidden gems that you are glad you found. It’s difficult to write a review as we kind of want to keep it a secret. The staff are super friendly, good beer and the food is A rated. The prices are too low for the quality of meal you receive, far better than these places that pretend to be gastro pubs but can’t cook. To top it all off you have a beautiful river with ducks and large trout swimming by. Really can’t do the place justice by words alone, go and give it a try. Gareth and Sarah.

1  Thank Bartman2957
Reviewed 4 August 2020

Visited today with my dad after a few hours walking in the dales, firstly what a great location we sat outside next to the river, friendly staff once entering the bar to order, bar and inside looked really nice and welcoming, very clean also, food wise I choose the lamb shank, mash and veg it was really nice well cooked really enjoyed it, my dad had the homemade steak pie, chips and veg again he enjoyed his meal, I think it gets very busy on hot weekend days from what the bar staff said so maybe worth booking right now, overall great experience of this pub, well cooked tasty food at a reasonable price, would go back again

Reviewed 2 August 2020 via mobile

Having arrived to find a power outage they were doing their best to keep things going.
Power on. Food was good.
T bone was a bit chewy but ok.
Reasonably priced.
Great waiting staff.
Would revisit if in the area.

2  Thank Glen B