“Amazing!”
Review of Casa Dorado

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Galeras
Casa Dorado
Ranked #5 of 20 Las Galeras B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I just stayed here for 3 days and absolutely loved it. The house is gorgeous with lots of areas to hang out, including hammocks. The breakfast is quite good with variety every day, but always bread from the local French bakery. Roberto is so helpful with planning your day's activities, whether whale watching, beaches, etc. Highly recommend it for either a couple's trip or family.

Room Tip: We were in the "Superior" room, a bit more expensive but well worth it for the space. Inc...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Davis, California
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The fact that my trip was wonderful, but quite different than the others reviewed here, is proof that Casa Dorado is a gem. I was here for just 2 nights, and never met Roberto or Katherine. Their staff took wonderful care of us--Leonel was so friendly and very capable. The food was delicious (breakfast and the dinners we had on-site), rooms were comfortable and clean, and the road from Santo Domingo is finished and (mostly) smooth.

We chose Casa Dorado because we hate the 'all-inclusive' experience and were not disappointed. We chose to hike to Playa Rincon instead of go by boat, and took a boat trip to snorkel at Playa Fronton (both trips arranged via phone by Roberto). I would absolutely recommend Casa Dorado to a less adventurous traveler--the house is very comfortable and the local beaches are safe. But if you'd rather eat local foods and are willing to try something different, Casa Dorado can definitely help you create a memorable trip. I cannot wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seepipe
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Katherine is an excellent hostess. The house, which has three bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs, is open and airy. It is beautifully appointed. Patios upstairs and down. I'll let my photos talk about the house.

Breakfast was delicious. It's a short walk to town or to the beach. Katherine arranged a boat trip to Playa Rincon for us.

I think most travelers will feel they have received more than their money's worth at Casa Dorado. Also, the road construction that others have mentioned is nearly complete. It's a smooth ride all the way to Las Galeras.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dleedennis
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Catherine and Roberto are wonderful hosts at this beautifully decorated and designed B&B. While the ride from the airport was long and the road through Samaná was still under construction when we visited in Sept 2010, the directions were clear and the rewards of staying at Casa Dorado (CD) were well worth the car ride.
CD is a great getaway for a leisurely trip with girlfriends, a romantic trip with your partner, or a family trip with children. I appreciated the hosts' style of engagement: they ensured we had all the information we wanted-where to find the beach towels, restaurants, bars, activities, etc. Then, they let us explore and create the experience we wanted.
When I observed the open style bedroom windows on the night of our arrival I immediately wondered about bugs (no bugs inside and reliable hot water are two travel requirements that always serve me well). I am happy to report that I slept soundly with the windows open every night and did not experience any bug bites or buzzing in the bedroom. If you are still squeamish, you can easily close the slates because all rooms have AC and/or a ceiling fan. There are spacious covered porches on all sides of the house, which are a great place to relax after a long day at the beach. It's quite easy to fall asleep in the hammock on the upper porch. A few friendly, well-behaved dogs and a mostly outdoor cat also live at CD.
Las Playitas beach is a short walk through a developing little neighborhood. There are open fields, roaming horses, and little houses under slow construction along the road. When we visited, there was a sandbar that extended well into the water, making it a great beach for kids and adults alike. My friend and I enjoyed cold drinks from the beach bar while the water lapped over us gently for hours as we sat in the shallow sandbar.
Those reviewers that complained of neighborhood noise, or the short walk to the local beach may prefer an all-inclusive in another part of the island. Of course there are roosters, children and neighbors who are going about their lives here. Las Galeras is a friendly neighborhood, not a sterile resort. It is a retreat from the cruise ships and hoards of tourists in other parts of the island. CD is for those that want to visit a home away from home with beautiful hidden beaches and delicious homemade breakfasts that will satisfy you until dinnertime. We ate dinner at a few local restaurants and chose drinks and cigars on the porch over dancing bachata at a little local bar for this visit. On another occasion, I might easily choose the bachata.
We did decide to take a day trip to the beaches that are only accessible via boat. Roberto and a local young man escorted us in the Casa Dorado boat for a very affordable rate. We enjoyed the whole morning at one beach without interruption from any other travelers. Then, we visited another beach in the afternoon, where we ordered a late lunch or fresh grilled fish, rice, beans, maduros and drinks at a local restaurant on the beachfront.
Overall, this was a great place to spend 5 days with a good friend. As a frequent traveler, I would not recommend anything on the Samaná peninsula, especially Las Galeras located on the far tip, if you have less than 3 days due to the time it takes to travel to and from the airport. However, in all other cases, it is an ideal way to visit the Dominican Republic. We really enjoyed the experience Las Galeras offered; serene beaches and exposure to some aspects of the local community coupled with the services of CD; full, tasty breakfasts, spacious rooms, hot showers and all the comforts of home. I look forward to returning with my family or a group of friends in the near future.

Room Tip: All rooms are well-appointed.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank IsisD
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I stayed at Casa Dorado with friends for a long weekend in February and we had a great time. The house is beautiful, spacious, and relaxing. It's located in a friendly Dominican neighborhood and is a quick walk to a lovely beach perfect for drinks. The breakfast was fantastic and the owners are extremely helpful - they can even arrange a boat to drop you at gorgeous Playa Rincon. I'd recommend the place to anyone!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends