“Awesome vacation!”

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Las Galeras
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Went to Grand Paradise in Las Galeras Samana and it was great! I was there with my boyfriend from feb. 18th-25th, 2012. The hotel was nice, it is not a 5 star luxury resort, but it was nice and clean. The resort had lots of bars and not only had the main buffet area but also another one by the beach which was great if you wanted to have a quick lunch by the beach instead of going all the way to the other side of the hotel. The beach was beautiful, needs a little more sand to have that caribbean feeling but it was good. The staff was AMAZING! they were super nice and friendly. Internet is a little slow but you'll get through it if everything you need it to check your e-mail and facebook. The entertainment team is amazing and the disco is a lot of fun too! I would definetly go back! The people that write bad reviews are probably too picky and that is why they did not enjoy their trip. The rooms need a little more light, coffe maker, matches and some notepad and a new shower but all in all it was fine. I am not very picky and just enjoyed my time there, you get what you pay for. There are a lot of French people and they have their own activities, which is fine but we are not allowed in their activities, but they are allowed in ours. Obviously you have to be smart as to what you eat, you can get sick anywhere, in a 2, 3, 4 or 5 star resort, try to stay away from raw vegetables and the fish. If you want a nice quiet vacation and don't want to spend too much, this is a great option.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoannaIrivarren

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just to warn you alot of people got sick.Diarrhea,nausea seemed to hit most.Food contamination or improper food safety seemed to be the problem.We a family of 5 ate what we thought were safe foods,drank bottled water and 3 of us are still sick.We stayed feb.24-mar.2 2012.I read the reviews and alot of them came true,yes bring your own washcloths,towels they don't accept travelers chq's.Stay in newer buildings 5,6,7,8 .
Must say the resort is a beautiful site,the beach is amazing and the gardens.
I think new management will save this place,also they must learn english and include us ,we never knew what was going on.I have never seen so many rude people in my life,and i work retail.As for the long bus trip,who cares it's worth the drive to get away from the busy areas.I heard this resort was bought by someone else,so looking forward to better reviews in the future.

Room Tip: Buildings 7 and 8.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kelly118
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have been to 3 different areas in Domincan and this is by far the best area that I have been ... non invaded with resorts after resorts... .secluded..small ... with nothing you will want for... staff is great.. rooms clean.. food good...BEACH... you can relax on the beach chair on the grass..yesss or on the sand... and you can walk for a long time in the ocean and never get that under tow... it's in a bay.... and the view is not just an ocean... it is of mountains on one side and the other is a palm tree sand bar... it is brearhtaking....If you are a picky person and nick pick at little things ....remember ..this is dominican and not Canada...the sun the atmoshere, the memories and the palm trees are what are what i will be saving for ... next year ... SEE YOU <<<GRAND PARADISE ..SAMANA

Room Tip: rooms on south side are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank robicook1
Reviewed 29 February 2012

just spent the week of Feb. 20th-27th at Grand Paradise with a group and travelled Sunwing. when you get on the bus for your gruelling 1.5 hr busride to the resort you are given all of your registration info as you are pre registered at the resort , we arrived about 10p.m. at the resort and where the bus drops you off in front is quite dark so mark your luggage well so you can find it quickly,there was no bellboys to be found so you just roam the resort till u find your room,the buffet was still open so u could eat when you arrived.we stayed i building 8 which was at the very back of the resort and found the room to be "average".if you a early riser dont expect a warm shower as they must turn the water heaters off at nite and the water takes a while to get warm in the morning, take your own wash cloths becase they are not provided.also not provided are iron and ironing board.you only get one room key and if you want a second you pay 5 dollars a day for a second key which is not refundable.WHAT A SCAM .as far a the food goes all i can say is overall NOT GOOD,but in saying that we did have a good meal at the italian a la carte.if u want to get a clean beach towel get it early as the go quickly in the morning.if you want to use the safe that will cost you 15 dollars,again not refundable.the pool area is quite small but not busy.the beach is long and narrow with a large grass area to sit on with little shaded areas.practice your spanish because english speaking employees are scarce so you dont get to know the waiters and bartenders like you would at other resorts,the disco kept the younger ones in our crowd entertained most nites.off the resort we went on the safari/falls tour and because we travel with such a large group we had a "private jeep"with a great guide Sabbina who was great at her job.also went zip lining for the first time and it is really fun.also if you have never been to the D.R. before dont get in a rush because when the say things will happen in 5 minutes its more like 1/2 hr.if yoi are lucky.after you vacation is over and you are about to head to the airport buy something to eat before u get there unless you want to pay up to 15 dollars for a hamburger.while we were at the resort we had a few people in our group complain of nausea and upon arriving home my wife has been sick,weather it is something she picked up there or on the plane,who knows.so overall we had a great vacation,the area is beautiful for those who enjoy touring off the resort but i have to say that i wouldnt go back to this resort when i compare it to others we have been to in the D.R.and i wouldnt recommend it .

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank namtas
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Illness!!! We vacationed there between Feb 17 - 24th and all 4 family members contracted some sort of infection causing nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dehydration, & body ache with lower back pain.
I had the worst symptoms and spent Sunday evening and night in bed with body ache and diarrhea to continue throughout the vacation.
Saw the doctor on the Monday morning and he prescribed 5 drugs and wanted me to go to a clinic for an iv and blood work but I was not keen on the idea. I purchased Metronidazole & Ciprofloxacin from the long list but none of it worked. You cannot purchase it at the hotel you have to into the village by cab top purchase the medication. My husband and I even had the Dukoral injections before the vacation but to no avail as he too contracted the diarrhea on the third day. My oldest son in his late 20's not only had diarrhea but was accompanied with vomiting by the 4th night and my youngest son in his early 20's developed the symptoms upon arriving in Canada. We tried to be very careful about what we ate and unfortunately are not sure what the cause was. I went with very little food if any for most of the vacation. Both my oldest son and I were just nauseated at the thought of eating anything from the buffet or a la carte.

Upon arrival at the resort and meeting with the tour representative from Sunquest, he was being questioned by another tour guide traveling with a large group of retired Italian citizens from Toronto, about an ongoing investigation as to what was causing people to get ill on the resort at which he responded there still has been no results from the tests. This did make us leery but we still did not know what to be careful of. This illness was a nuisance to our vacation plans. We did manage to go whale watching but as soon as I arrived in the town of Samana after the long bus ride, I needed to find a bathroom quickly. Thankfully, one of the whale watching guides allowed me on board the boat before leaving dock to use the facilities.

Samana is a precious tropical paradise. It is unfortunate to have a resort with unsafe health practices to take away from the beauty that surrounds it.

Beach towels at the resort are very difficult to get so bring your own if you still think you would like to take the chance and visit this resort. Also bath towels are not always replenished and sometimes requires a phone call to the front desk to get a fresh towel. Sometimes you will get a hand towel and sometimes not. You never know. I was even very good at leaving the hotel maids tips but that didn't help. I even asked for extra bottles of water as I was very dehydrated but they still only left 2 bottles in the mini fridge daily. They do not leave juice in the fridge, only sprite and coke. So early mornings it was difficult to take my vitamins pills daily. They also do not have coffee makers in their rooms or at least not in the rooms we had. It took 3 nights before they moved us into a room with working air conditioning even after my husband had complained of not being able to sleep at nights.
After finally moving us to another room they sent us a lovely platter of artistically sculpted fruits on a platter to our new room but we unfortunately dared not eat it. My husband wanted me to mention that the food is very bland. They were also lacking in variety.

There is a huge language barrier. You would be better to brush up on your Spanish. It was difficult communicating. I could not even converse with the Doctor. He did not know what I was asking when I asked him what was wrong with me??? Most of the staff at the front desk did not speak English and check in was difficult. They could not find our reservation in the pile and it took the 4th person looking through the same pile 20 minutes after the first person to find our reservation in the very same pile the previous 3 people sifted through.
They are not anxious to change your canadian dollars into pesos and sometimes won't.
One gardener would not accept our looney as at tip after giving us a coconut. He wanted an american paper dollar. We had to get our money exchanged and told him that we would find him later and pay him with pesos. Be warned...most of the Dominicans do not like Canadian coin.

I thought I had booked an oceanview bungalow to be disappointed when they showed us our bungalow behind the oceanview bungalow. I quickly pointed out that this was not what I had booked but they insisted that if I wanted an ocean view that I would need to pay 25.00/night/person more. No where did I read this when I made the booking 6 months prior in Oct. 2011.
I also should mention that the beach is not maintained daily. In the one week we visited, we only saw them combing the beach once so that pristine beach you see in the photos does not exist. It is covered in some sort of algae or sea weed. Even after washing my bathing suits there still is a slight odor of algae in the fabric.

Still I want to say that Samana is beautiful. Don't let this resort discourage you from visiting and experiencing this lush tropical paradise. Just book somewhere else!!!!

Anyway, go to Samana, but not this resort if you want to experience a full healthy vacation.
Trust me, I am not a complainer but had to write this so that others can avoid these problems on their very hard earned vacation.

Room Tip: Talk to a travel agent to make sure you are getting what you asked for. I booked online and was sur...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
41.2 km away
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 35 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!