All reviews buffet breakfast twin beds tatami area train station superior room the hotel staff hot springs gero onsen souvenir shops higher floor japanese western room checking in nice hotel the river wonderful onsen green tea japanese standards
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

This is one of the stop from Nagoya to Takayama. Gero onsen is one of the best three onsens in Japan. It’s a must to try.
Suimeikan is very near to train station. If you drive, they have enough car park spaces for you.
The garden of the hotel is beautiful. The breakfast is good and delicious.
The onsen is wonderful and you skin will become smooth after soaking in it. There are three different onsen baths in the hotel. You can enjoy the view, the outdoor baths and the relaxing environment!
The room I booked is a bit larger for 2 adults and 2 kids. We can sleep well on separate beds (2 sleeping on beds and 2 sleeping on futon).
Overall, it is a good hotel with good services and good onsen baths.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

The hotel is very aged and our room is very dirty and smelly. Given the size of the hotel, there is always a huge amount of people sharing the onsens even though there are 3 onsens. You can easily get splashed by the person showering next to you. Food is horrible. You can get fresher sashimi from supermarket. The toilet in our room is just like a public toilet... Also the hotel staff treat you like a second class citizen if you are not Japanese. You may be fooled if this is your first time staying in a Japanese onsen hotel but if you have been to any other ones you will know that this hotel is way below standards.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicky L
Reviewed 6 October 2017

This place was our retreat in the middle of the trip. From the moment we step into the lobby, there were staffs who lined at the front door and bow to greeting us! So stunning my grand daughter jumped up and one of the staff couldn't hold his laughing :)

We stay in a superior room with futon, Japanese - Western room. The room locate in 7th floor and I believe the whole floor was non- smoking only. I have bad back pain and couldn't sleep on floor, that no problem as the room has twin beds plus for Japanese feel there was a tatami place for seating and if your party more than 2 persons, the extra persons can sleep on futon in that area. A young staff lead us to our room, took all our heavy bags and politely refuse our help! Her English just enough to explain things and amenities the hotel has to offers but we tried to understand each other! As a Japanese ryokan traditional, she also served us welcome green tea and sweets!

The view in my room was'nt perfect: The large windows looked out to the train station instead of the main bridge and the town. However, I didnt heard much noise from the train as we were on higher floor and the view to the mountain at the morning was beautiful enough!

Our room rate including breakfast, Suimeikan's breakfast was good on itself: There was Japanese dishes as well as Western dishes, plenty of choice! I was fed to my neck :)

I liked our stay at Suimeikan a lot, what's an excellent typical Japanese hospitallity to experienced! Not only the staffs bowed when we ready to leave, the lady owner herself came to the shuttle bus to wave good bye to her guests!Hope that I will have a chance to return to Suimeikan in the future!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2017

We stayed here as a group on a motorcycle tour of Japan. The best way to describe it is as an resort hotel which caters for mainly Japanese public visiting the resident Onsen baths. So we were the odd ones out. However we received the same gracious welcome as everyone. We were staying in traditional rooms with tatami mats and being asked when we would like staff to come make our beds was an interesting experience. Unfortunately on this occasion we didn't take part in the onsen, but our stay was good.
Yes, the place is dated, but it was clean, warm and comfortable. Staff were, despite the language barrier, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Voelser
Reviewed 16 May 2017

cons: Stinky smoke smell in the room / dirty carpet, sofa and toilet / I almost fainted seeing residual noodle in the teapot

pros: Staffs are very polite and helpful

onsen: Onsen quality is good; personally prefer the outdoor style.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room. I did but i get no answer from the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple