All reviews train station hida beef staff were lovely lovely ryokan family run ryokan quiet at night hot water dispenser hot tea ryokan experience warm hospitality late arrival very nice experience japanese breakfast enjoyed our stay nice onsen small town onsen hotel
Reviewed 4 November 2018

My wife and I selected Mutsumikan in Gero Onsen as our first night to stay (with a dinner inclusive plan) for our 6-day trip in Chubu, central region on Japan's main island Honshu.
Unfortunately, in less than 10 hours prior to the scheduled departure from our home city Hong Kong by a local leading carrier, we were informed that the flight had been cancelled, upsetting our meticulous travelling plan. In great despair, we were obliged to accept the carrier's arrangement to rebook another flight which would arrive in Chubu International Airport, Nagoya 2 hours behind the original plan. The sudden change brought us a sleepless night because we envisaged that we could hardly check-in for the ryokan at the stipulated time for dinner. As we set off for our journey, I kept contacting Mutsumikan by email and informed them of our possible late arrival in that evening. While travelling on JR train from Nagoya to Gero, we received positive feedback from Mr. Saito of Mutsumikan, easing our anxiety that we would not miss the dinner time, and giving us impetus to elevate our mood. We do appreciate their understanding and customer-oriented attitude, operating the business with heart and warm hospitality.
As a small family-run ryokan, Mutsumikan does not fall short of our expectation in any respect.The ryokan's facilities are nicely maintained, onsens and bathing area are clean with refreshing hotspring water. Their Japanese cuisine is so beautifully prepared and presented that it is both enjoyable and palatable. Most importantly, the staff are courteous, friendly, helpful and responsive. We look forward to staying at Mutsumikan again in the near future.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank frankie c
Gero-Mutsumikan, 広報担当マネージャー at Mutsumikan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2018

Dear Mr. frankie c,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a great review.
And we are very glad you enjoyed our Ryokan (japanese style inn).
Unfortunately I was absent on a business trip when you check out time.
I heard about your comment by my wife. I deeply appreciate your kind words.

And thank you very much for praising our services.
We are small family run Ryokan. When it comes to facility, we would be no match for other big Ryokan and Hotels nearby.But we keep trying our best to serve personalized services,good quality hot spring water and traditional Kaiseki meals to guests while making use of advantages of family-business.

We always welcome your revisit. If I have next chance to welcome you,
I would like to talk with you about Hong Kong movie!
Thanks again,and I‘m looking forward to seeing you again!

Shinji Saito
Ryokan Manager
Mutsumikan,Gero

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

We are a family of four with two young children. We had high expectation of our stay at Mutsumikan because of its good reviews, however, we were deeply disappointed.

It is a very run down family run ryokan with very tiny onsens (the photos shown by the ryokan is misleading) and old facilities (to the extent things are not clean due to under-maintenance, which is very rare in japan). The ryokan charged us 75% of adult price for each of my young children so we ended up paying for a price of 3.5 adults for only one room. A rather poor value in my view. Despite the high price, there is not even a drinking fountain at the Onsen changing room, which is unacceptable considering I have paid more than 45000 yens for one night. There are only two tiny blow dryers and some low-end shampoo/conditioner/body soap. There is not even face wash in the shower room. Any other onsen ryokans (about a dozen of them so far across Japan) at which I’ve stayed had a water fountain and got face wash in the shower room.

The service level at this ryokan is rather undesirable in my opinion, most staff are lukewarm and functional at best, and no one bothered to speak to us unless it was absolutely necessary. We ordered upgraded hida beef meal for dinner but not much introduction was given on the type of food that was being served. Breakfast had only some salty vegetables and a tiny salted dish to go with the rice, with little protein content. We asked if milk could be served for the children and the staff was quick to tell us to take a short walk to a nearby convenience store to buy one on our own. Are you kidding me? It would have been nicer if you just tell me that you don’t serve milk. We didn’t expect this anywhere in Japan. It is rather odd.

Our family had poor experience at Mutsumikan and wish that the ryokan owner could take its service level and facilities maintenance more seriously.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank RiuPalaceCancun
Gero-Mutsumikan, 広報担当マネージャー at Mutsumikan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

Dear guest,
First of all, we thank you for the review.
And we apologize for your disappointment.

About the child fee(8 years and 4 years), the traditional Ryokan(Japanese style inn) price system is different from the western style hotel`s one. The Ryokan room price is based on the number of guest because the property provide meals with guest. Our price range is mid range - budget class in Gero city.You booked our room with 4 dinners(with 4 premium rank Hida-beef steaks) and breakfasts, 4 adult beds. We are sorry that we can not serve the child meals and steaks and bed without charge.

If you book a room with meals at other traditional Ryokan , the property will charge the child fee to you because the child meals, steaks and beds are not free. Our foreign guests kindly realize traditional Ryokan system with broad mind. We would appreciate your understanding.About bath,our shampoo/conditioner/body soap are made by SHISEIDO and POLA which are famous cosmetics makersin Japan. And we provide face wash in the shower room and provide cold water at the cafe for free.

Our Onsen bath size is middle class in Gero( We have only 19 rooms) ,popular with Japanese and foreign Onsen freaks by the hot spring water quality.They focus on the ratio of pouring new Onsen water to the bath tub in terms of the water quality(smooth feeling ,effect to health and cleanness) .We are sorry that our bath is not suitable to your preference.

Our building was old as you pointed out .But we are doing our best to improve the property. 2 years ago we built new open air bath. In addition, last year we exchanged the elevator machine and all rooms air conditioner for new one, and banquet air conditioner systems and room refrigerator in this summer.We are planning to renovate the public area.It had been about only five years since we started hosting foreign guest.Nowadays many foreign repeat customer love our services,stayed with us many times(and leave reviews here). Day by day we learn and improving service and property slowly but surely.

Mutsumikan is supported by foreign guests who loves our service, generously realize Japanese culture.
We deeply appreciate the favor , will make further efforts in providing better service and facility to guests.

Reviewed 27 September 2018

Our room was clean and very comfortable, the dinner and breakfast included local specialties and was very delicious. The staff was friendly and accommodating and we will certainly recommend Mutsumikan to friends and family.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank vknagatori
Gero-Mutsumikan, 広報担当マネージャー at Mutsumikan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Dear Ms.vknagatori,

Thank You very much for taking the time to write that glowing review of your stay with us.I was very glad to talk with you.

Thanks for mentioning our services. We are only a small local family run inn, but keep trying our best to serve personalized services to guests. Our goal is to make sure you slept well and enjoyed feeling like a local during your trip!

Please convey our regards to your family, and friend.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed two nights at Mutsumikan recently and it was a highlight of our whole trip to Japan! We had originally planned to use it as a base to visit to Takayama but we loved the town so much we ended up spending the whole time in Gero! The staff were lovely, the food was incredible, room was clean and the experience is one we will cherish! Plenty of nice walks, foot onsen and shops to keep you entertained, but it was the quiet time away from the hustle and bustle that we enjoyed most! 5 stars and we will certainly be back!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank janeenniss
Gero-Mutsumikan, 広報担当マネージャー at Mutsumikan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Dear Ms.janeenniss ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a great review. And we are very glad you enjoyed
our traditional Onsen Ryokan services.

We are small family business.But we trying our best to serve personalized services to guests.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed at Mutsumikan for two nights. First night with incredible delightful Kaiseki upgrade dinner served in our room. Second night came with nicely prepared breakfast in another room. Staff is welcoming and considerate, food is exceptional, place is convenient and lovely. Highly recommended for a ryokan experience!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 808Sunshine
Gero-Mutsumikan, 広報担当マネージャー at Mutsumikan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

Dear Mr.808Sunshine,

Thank you very much for your staying with us and giving such a
wonderful review to us.

I was very pleasant to talking with you.Its beautiful memory for me.

I translated your comment to Japanese. All staff members were really glad to read it.
Your comment encouraged us.We are small family run Onsen Ryokan, but we will be doing
our best always for all our great guest’s stay comfortable, enjoyable and memorable.
I greatly apreciate your kindness.

Thanks again , and please convey my best regards to your friends.

We look forward to welcoming you again. Mahalo!