All reviews outdoor bath new wing hida beef every hour train station private family baths traditional building traditional ryokan experience rich history multi course public hot spring men and women table tennis room imperial family hotel building explore the grounds opening the window
Reviewed 30 October 2018

Excellent traditional Japanese onsen hotel with a wonderful traditional wooden building and impressive landscaped gardens. The landscaping extends to the outdoor section of the public baths. Convenient shuttle service is provided from/to the train station.

We stayed in the newer section on a higher floor (9th floor) with the traditional tatami design. It had the benefit of an in-room soaking tub which is ideal for a pre-bed soak given the long walk to the public baths which had both an indoor and outdoor section. There is also a relaxing foot soaking area within the hotel..

Traditional Japanese dinner was served in the room with a friendly server. It was impressive to see them quickly set up futons for the night after the meal. A nice Japanese set breakfast was served on the 8th floor.

We had a nice walk along the wooded paths around hotel in the morning. It was impressive to see the hotel perched high up in the mountain when we were strolling around Gero..

Japanese onsen hotels all seem to follow a similar model but this one stands out with its beautiful traditional building and landscaped grounds.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
yunoshimakan, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yunoshimakan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

Thank you for staying with us at Yunoshimakan.
Also thank you for your warm comments.

We are all glad that you liked our accomodation with traditional architecture.
It is great that you tried both public bathroom and leg soaking bath during your stay.

Now our hotel is surrounded by beautiful colouring leaves and in winter season, you can see beautiful snowing view from a room.

We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
Please take care of yourself and thank you again for your praises.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

This was our tenth trip to Japan. We always stay most nights with relatives and sleep on tatami 99% of the time. The twin bed option was actually a treat. Our server/maid Tae-san was very nice. We have been to many onsen ryokan and I think the main feature of Yunoshimakan is comfort. The room was huge and in fine shape. The deep bath was a delight. Breakfast was a nice finish. The shuttle drivers deserve special praise.

Room tip: Twin bed room plus in room dinner still gives classic ryokan experience.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
yunoshimakan, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yunoshimakan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Thank you for staying with us at Yunoshimakan.
We are all delighted that you chose our hotel as your 10th trip of Japan.

The staff who served your dinner will be pleased to hear that.
We will try to keep our effort for futher service improvement.

We look forward to having you as our gutst in the near future again.

Reviewed 26 August 2018

I stayed at the Room 311 in this hotel. The General Manager and his team were very kind to sort a little issue that happened while I was checking in. Beautiful resort, lovely dinner served in the room at night.
Overall good services, the hot springs are slightly small and the breakfast room lacks a bit of warmth but nothing to say about the food served during my stay. It is a pure ryokan so do not expect Western food at all.

Room tip: There is a free shuttle bus from the train station to the hotel but inform the reception prior your arrival
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
yunoshimakan, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yunoshimakan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Yunoshimakan.
We are all delighted to hear all of your warm comments.
We will continue our effort to improve our servise.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Summary:
2018 was our 3rd visit to Japan. Yunoshimakan is easily in the Top 5 experiences.

Yunoshimakan will be on my wish list for future returns to Japan. I only got to stay one night in this historic ryokan, and I did everything I could to make the most of it. We stayed in a Bekkan room with our own outdoor bath, but to be honest, I spent most of my time in the public rotenburo. I don't know if it was the hours I visited or the season, but 75% of the time, I had the bath all to myself. Early morning was the best; at approximately 5AM, I watched the mist rolling over the mountains on the opposite side of the valley.

We opted for a Kaiseki dinner in our room, which while generous with many courses, the quality of the food was average. Breakfast the next morning, in the dining hall, I felt was much better and excellent.

My husband and I had fun exploring the hotel with the hotel's stamp collection hunt. If not for that activity, we would not have found the amazing view of the city below in the game corner. My husband and I played ping-pong, visited the bar, and the foot onsen together. We did not use the semi-private family baths that could be reserved, but we did peek our heads in.

Be sure to study the bus schedule because the hotel is located outside of the city center and up a mountain side. You would not want to walk it.

Advantages:
-Luxury, service was excellent
-A plus for history buffs, small exhibits throughout the hotel
-Beautiful scenery and privacy to enjoy it
-Enough on grounds that you don't need to venture out for food, entertainment, souvenirs, or peace and quiet
-Completely subjective, but I felt Gero is still mostly undiscovered by Western travelers, unlike nearby Takayama.

Disadvantages:
-In some areas, the age of the hotel does show
-Coming and going may be a problem without your own vehicle due to hotel's location outside of the main city
-Sound carries. We had a noisy group above us; that's not really on the hotel. In Japan, please remember to be considerate of your noise level. My husband and friend accompanying us could fall asleep, but I couldn't.
-Plan ahead for budget

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank AlexBOtaku
yunoshimakan, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yunoshimakan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Thank you for staying with us at Yunoshimakan.
Also thank you for your warm comments.

We are sorry for making you a little disappointed about the noises.

If you could enjoy the view from our hotel, we reccomend in Autumn or Winter season as well.
You may see the different faces of our buildings.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent quality ryokan with advantage of being out of the town centre. Indoor public bath areas are very large but lack a bit of character- outdoor bath area would be extra fun in winter.

Dinner was served in the room which I don’t always enjoy but the food was exceptional and my serving person was lovely and spoke good English. Breakfast was also enjoyable.

Overall, while not exceptional it met my expectation s.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
yunoshimakan, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yunoshimakan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay in our hotel.
As you said, winter is one of highly recommended season around here.
The contrast of the building and white snow would be making you surprised.

I will tell the staff who served your dinner that you were satisfied with her
even you don't always enjoy.She will be happy to hear that.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future maybe in winter.