“Best rack of lamb ever!”

La Taverna di Moranda
Price range: US$35 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

What a fantastic find. The owners were delightful funny and so attentive. That however is just the topping on an extraordinaire cake. The rack of lamb was to die for! In the words of my son, "If Helen of Troy could start a war, this could end it! " it's a must stop on your trip!!

Reviewed 1 September 2017

I can't stay away! My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic meal yesterday. We shared the Tuna tartar with lemon and red pepper corns followed by Pici pasta with pork sausage ragu and I had the green pasta with seafood and a sauce impossible to detail...all were fantastic! My husband commented that eating the fresh pastas was so tender, it was like velvet. I couldn't have agreed more. We shared the dark chocolate dessert served with a delicate marscarapone sauce...delightful!
We made reservations for the next evening. At that meal we enjoyed an appetizer of soft cheese rounds served on a grilled bread on top of a bed of rocket with sun dried tomatoes, our fresh pasta was served with summer truffle ....so delicate....and we shared the roasted rack of lamb served with roasted potatoes and tomato. We finished off with a pistachio semi fredo that was just sweet enough with such a luscious texture! This restaurant can't be beat! Service is personalized, efficient and friendly...the chef is a magician....need we say more?

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Great meal and excellent service. Excellent amuse bouche and appetisers we had lamb and tagliate that were both excellent and some great wine at a very good price

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

We've been coming back again and again to enjoy Massimo's fabulous cooking - and this visit it's consistently excellent yet again. We love the pasta with porcine or summer vegetables, the salmon, the lamb in rosemary and garlic. This restaurant is tucked away, you dine in a charming cool cellar, it is clearly a family concern (which explains superb quality and excellent service). We've loved this restaurant for four years - it's a must!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

After nearly four years away, I was fortunate to return to Monticchiello three weeks ago. The main reason I returned.... La Taverna di Moranda!

Simply put, this is the best food in all of Italy. It was four years ago and it remains true this time around. We stayed in Monticchiello for just one night and it was to enjoy some of Masimo's beautiful to look at and delicious tasting food and we were not disappointed.

While La Porta has the advantage of a view of Val d'Orca, what they do not have is Masimo's food. It is truly the best kept secret in all of Tuscany.

We started with a bottle of the Trerose Santa Caterina Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano which was excellent and then for our first course we each had the Pici with pork sausage ragu. EXCELLENT. (When I was in Monticchiello last I ate here three times and ate the Pici each time.)

For the second course, my husband had the Wild Boar Loin with red wine and juniper and polenta - also delicious. I had the Roast Suckling pig served with Brussel spouts and I have to say... I cannot get it out of my head. The outside of extra crispy and the meat was delicious and moist like I have never had ever ever ever!

The only drawback was that Masimo's wife, Francesca was not in attendance. I really took a shine to her last time we visited and wanted to introduce her to my husband.

I showed Masimo pictures from my last visit with my friend and the two of them plus Masimo's mother. He was polite and told us he would tell Francesca that I had stopped in... describing me as the big bald guy. I can live with that!

I hope someday to return to my little Italian village. It is surrounded by such beauty, but most importantly, it is home to my favorite restaurant in all of Italy.

Grazie Mille Masimo!!!!