All reviews the perfect host eleni grove olives earthquake relaxation privacy accommodation island kefalonia
Reviewed 24 June 2017

My wife and I visited here with my in-laws and it was a really nice place. The food was great, fresh figs you can eat right off the tree, the pool was well kept. The rooms were always clean and the owner was friendly with good advice on where to go. The only problem my wife and I had was that our mattresses we super firm, like, wake up with dead arms all night firm. Although a small thing, so small we didn't feel the need to complain, we weren't getting a good nights sleep because of it and were tired during the day. Again though, we didn't mention it as we didn't think they would be anything the owner could do... 'first world problems right...' Also just to say my in laws had a king size bed and different to ours, so I am sure not all rooms are the same.

Room tip: The ones with the nice mattresses
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 27 June 2016

We thoroughly enjoyed our second visit to Gentilini Retreat to see our friend Eleni. She is so welcoming and from the minute you drive through the gates of the retreat you know you are in for a relaxing break. Eleni is extremely helpful; the perfect host and we enjoyed chatting to her over breakfast as we were the only guests at the time. She gave us ideas for places to visit and tavernas to try. Our favourite place to eat, and nearest to the retreat, is Il Borgo where we had some great food.You definitely need a car when you stay here as there is nowhere close enough to walk to.

We were the first visitors of the season, so we had the place to ourselves for the first six days. Absolute bliss. The pool is beautifully situated in the middle of the olive grove and only a short walk from the room. We stayed in Room Daphne.

The breakfast provided each morning by Eleni is excellent. She has hens, so the eggs are always fresh, and she makes wonderful lemonade. These are served with a selection of yogurts, fresh bread, croissants and a different fruit each day. Everything is organic and tastes delicious.

We enjoyed our complimentary trip to the Gentilini Winery where we tasted five of their wines, served with cheese and tomatoes and we also tried Eleni's olive oil.

We were privileged to be shown around the family house in Argostoli which survived the 1953 earthquake, by Eleni's Dad. Well worth a visit if it is offered.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank lyonsnicki62
Reviewed 11 October 2015

Eleni met us at the airport (and where we picked up our hire car- Pefanis) and we followed her back to the Retreat. The room was perfect - air conditioning, roomy, good sized bathroom, fridge, kettle etc. Couldn't fault the breakfast which was set out on the patio which was a minute's walk down the track and usually served around 9.30am. Breakfast was plentiful and relaxing and a good chance to test Eleni's knowledge of the island - she knows loads!!! You will love the pool and sometimes you might be the only one using it. Plenty of sun beds and a fridge to keep your drinks chilled. We used a great restaurant near the castle on the hill which also had amazing views. Definitely need a car. Also try and get over to the Gentillini winery and if possible to the family home in Argostoli.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Georgie O
Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in July. There are 6 cottages which are all Individually decorated. I stayed in the first one through the gate which was the furthest from the pool area but I loved it. It was spacious, light & had kettle & fridge.
As a wedding party we had all 6 cottages. Breakfasts under the vines were good social events to start the day, with a daily variety of fresh lemonade, eggs from the various hens & breads, fresh fruit & yoghurt. The pool area was clean & spacious.
On the wedding day the 'breakfast' area was transformed into the wedding service area with flowers & hearts etc, then champagne & canapés while photographs were taken.
Then down to the pool area as the sun set for the reception.
Eleni - the owner does not organise the wedding - an outside planner does. She is a great source of local knowledge & very friendly. Not to forget the 6 month old puppy -Cleusau - who was adorable but loved to bite your feet.
It is a beautiful relaxing place to stay & can't even be seen from the road so can definitely justify being called a retreat. So even though you MUST have a car, it is only a 10 min drive to the nearest restaurant & up to St George's Castle.
I hadn't thought of visiting Kefalonia until my son decided to go there for his wedding, but having done so, I loved it. So would definitely return to the island & to The Gentilini Retreat.

Date of stay: July 2015
2  Thank valw5
Reviewed 3 August 2015

2015 was my second stay at the Gentilini Retreat. Eleni, the owner, put me a wonderful room with a very private porch attached.

I love this place; it provides a real escape from normality. The substantial breakfast of fresh eggs, bread, yogurt, jams/honey, fresh fruit, with coffee, and lemon juice sets you up for the day.

I get immense pleasure just spending time walking around the Retreat and through the olive grove, or spending time at the pool.

Date of stay: July 2015