“Superb home cooked food”
Review of Brownlow Inn

Brownlow Inn
Ranked #6 of 90 Restaurants in Congleton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Having spent the afternoon in the brownlow Inn with friends today with great home cooked food (you have to try the peppered steak pie as well as the lamb pie) and a G&T (or two).. I'd absolutely recommend you give it a try.. the food is amazing, really friendly service and at a good price... a great place day or night...

1  Thank Allan D

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Fabulous meal on a wintery Sunday afternoon we both had different and the food was amazing lovely staff very friendly and the manager was very welcoming and spot on with his staff and excellent service we shall definitely return and thankyou for an excellent food experience

2  Thank Angela L
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

I had homemade lamb pie with mash and veg, then spotted dick and custard. 5*. What more could you want ?
We went ‘on spec’ for a lunch for my wife’s ?0th birthday, with her mother. The Mother in law always has plaice and chips. I love anywhere which ends with something and custard. We were both well pleased, as was my wife with her gammon.
Part way through an email from my sister asked if I knew somewhere good for a friend’s 70th. We shall go back there.

2  Thank Thowdmon
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Obviously my rating is at odds with the overwhelming number of customers that have had an excellent dining experience. Indeed we visited the Brownlow as a consequence of word of mouth recommendations. But l am sorry to say it wasn’t for us and feel we wasted £50 finding out.
Maybe it’s because the dining area has a lot of glass and it was a very cold February night but one of the main reasons our experience was poor, is that the room was insufficiently heated.
Even though full of people the pub was very cold. It is not at all pleasant to go out on a Saturday night to dine in a chilly room and what’s more to sit on hard wooden chairs.
Food is pricey for what it is. An impressively bound booklet styled menu with a large selection of dishes oversells the quality of what is actually presented. The stuffed steak being one of the meals we opted for, was very disappointing. The Pepper Bagger seems to be a means of charging over £20 for a 12oz rump steak. It’s just simply sliced horizontally with ingredients sandwiched in. Not some amazing gourmet creation.
We were asked if our meals were ok. But the question was asked when I’d barely taken one mouthful - so I said yes. Actually my chicken skewer turned out to be unpleasantly charred so many of the subsequent mouthfuls were bitter.
Also as the menu is aspiring to be fine dining and priced as such, it’s somewhat down market to be sat on the aforementioned hard wooden chairs with fish and chip style condiments on the table.
On a plus side both the red and white house wine are most palatable.
On the matter of service. The army of young waitresses and waiter were very smartly dressed polite and friendly. However we did find the head waitress rather, shall we say, over assertive. Not rude but neither pleasant. Her manner being another reason we will not be dining here again.

5  Thank Doraexplorah
Reviewed 22 February 2018

If you have a big appetite this place is for you. The menu is varied with something for all tastes. We went at 6.30pm on a Wednesday and it was very busy which tells you a lot. The staff were smart, efficient and friendly. The food arrived within a reasonable time. All came well presented, plentiful and tasty. There is good access for disabled and the facilities were clean, modern and well maintained. There is good parking on site.

1  Thank Pathfinder617