All reviews other guests guest house lovely garden self catering apartment indian restaurant kippers fish choices great breakfast in the morning two nights great place to stay slept like a log big table a lovely stay couple of nights enjoyed our stay hearty breakfast stayed one night
Reviewed 16 April 2016

Clean and comfortable and very welcoming to my whippet - we were en route to a show at Ingliston. Mr Macrae was very helpful in describing possible places to eat in the evening and his recommendation was spot on. My only regret was that I did not have time to do justice to the wonderful breakfast.

Lots of room to park and quiet location.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2016

Life is so easy when our guests are lovely.

Reviewed 10 September 2015

My wife and I spent two nights at the Rathan House during the Edinburgh Fringe festival and we really enjoyed our stay. Ewen, the owner, is a very charming and educated guy who knows a lot about Scottish history. Something we don't learn that much about in Germany. Our room was clean and reasonably sized.
We also enjoyed the breakfast and the conversations with the other guests. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sebastian T
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Your comments were embarrassingly nice . Thank you.

It helps keep our motivation up when nice things are said.

Yours

Ewan Irene and the Doggies

Reviewed 28 August 2015

Big room to accomodate a family of 5 and provide a cost effective base to explore Edinburgh in the middle of the festivals.
Good, individually cooked breakfast sitting at table with other guests from around the world.
Recommended a local italian restaurant nearby that was good value as well, however the area itself is not that great.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2015

A lovely old Georgian home in Dalkeith, about 15-20 minutes, by an easy and really scenic local bus trip, to down town Edinburgh. I had a hire car and didnt want to drive, or have to find expensive parking in Edinburgh and there`s lots of off street parking at Rathan House. The bus stop is outside the front gate or I could walk the 200 metres to Dalkeith High street, Banks,shops Pubs & restaurants etc and lots of Scotland , including Roslyn Chapel, a short drive.. Ewan and Irene MacRae were great hosts and introduced me to the kipper breakfast, along with their other breakfast choices. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

I try and support independent hotels throughout the UK because I find generally you get a far more rewarding experience.

Unfortunately not here, the rooms are dated, but impeccably clean. All the mod cons you would expect, wifi, flat screen TV, kettle, stocked shower etc.

I just had a couple of grievances which are probably not fair but I will mention them (I have just my rating to 4* from 3*) although i didn't pre book a breakfast I could have had one before I needed to leave for my meeting @ 0800 which was I thought disappointing. My second annoyance was the fact that. I said I would be down at 0800 to pay for my room and no one appeared until 0815 to take my pavement. I did knock on the door but a dog started to bark and I didn't want to wake the other residents up so I didn't knock more than twice.

Apart from that the owner gave me a recommendation for a restaurant up the road which was fine and was generally very friendly.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2015

Well, like any establishment we have strengths and weaknesses. At the margin your expectations do not seem to have been met entirely.

Let us imagine you returned with your pooch and 2 teenage grandchildren . Rathan would probably tick all your boxes:

1. The kids would be 100% safe in a third acre high walled secure garden and they would be strange if they were not playing croquet , passing a rugby ball or throwing tennis balls fro our
childfriendly retreivers.

2. The kids and you and your pooch would hopefully enter into the spirit of a 3 courses 1920's old fashioned country house hebridean breakfast. ( Low fat/ rolls & bread straight out of the oven....fresh fruit salad usually with high strawberry content...you and they would more than likely be talking to Spaniards. French, Austrians at breakfast and the kids could practice their language skills. There is bespoke cooking for the 3rd course. Breakfast - 3 courses - inevitably will take 30-40 mins. If you are not in a hurry ( you would be in leisure time) it is usually great fun.
On the other hand if, like you, you are on business and in a hurry note that you booked bed only.

3. Victoriana normally suits an 1850's property. Even in the newbuild ( steel and concrete)
the guest is supposed to get the feel of the 1800's. ...victorian plaster cornices etc. ( although modern plumbing, memory foam mattresses, lighting and modern insulation is in the new build)
Some of our furniture is Regency. The guestlounge has dutch marquetry over 300 yrs old.
If you dont like queen anne chest of drawers in the older parts of the house....maybe a victoriana styled B&B isnt for you. You can not please everyone and style is a question of taste.
...neither good nor bad......but just different. In our case we have gone out of our way to tick boxes but stay victorian. The portraiture is predominantly 19th century.

4. As a holidaymaker, you might, like me, not want a hotel like atmosphere in a foreign trip.
You might want something which is not ersatz. You have separation from our apartments and so privacy. However when you come to breakfast...it is an authentic hebridean breakies ....and the way we do it is our own style. Some think it fantastic......but if you want a buffet and scoot....we dont do that. We even give guests a card telling them that if a hebridean style is not for them, then English Breakies style is available 150 yards away at Morrisons......and we are never concerned if people take that option ( it is however rare) . When I am in Holland I want "Bitterballen" ......an authentic hebridean islander breakies is certainly different and absolutely normal ( In the Highlands) when I was a boy.

I suppose the real answer is that you were not relaxing and on holiday but on business. From Oct - March we offer breakfast at 7.30 and are more inclined to offer unhealthy options. I suspect you chose us because we have plenty parking and were cheap. Nevertheless we try not to be a hotel....we are an unlicensed family and pet friendly tourist oriented victorian B&B guesthouse. A great base for Edinburgh park and ride and touring the Borders and the Lothians.

At 8am I am normally at the bakers door waiting for fresh bread and rolls out of the oven.
Irene is normally in the kitchen making fresh fruit salad. Maybe one of the answers for the small % of those who need a quick exit is to take payment at arrival. Doing that does not feel friendly
so we have not done that before....but it would speed exit and we have put that on the list to think about.

Bottom line is that a businessman is probably better to target a hotel in the tourist season.
The big chain is £139 tonight for a room which is more than twice what we charged so there is a price issue. However......since our focus in summer is on couples and families and we have a pet and family friendly establishmanent, we know that we have limitations as a 2 person small guesthouse. Sorry but it makes sense to focus on the biggest proportion of guest demand.
Ewan MacRae