All reviews business trip wonderful location lovely breakfast local attractions quiet area bread shared balcony very nice hotel rooms are spacious breakfast buffet lake conference surroundings nature dip homemade hikers
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Me, my Fiance and future mother-in-law stayed at this hotel for only one night upon arrival in Copenhagen. It was the cheapest hotel we saw that wasn't below three-stars, and the only reason for this being that it was only a single night and a late check-in. It was meant as a sleep, nothing more.

The taxi over was steep, admittedly, at nearly 800 DKK (roughly 95 pounds), but this hotel was still cheaper, even with this taxi fare, than anything else on the market. It was a 35 minute drive from the airport, but when we arrived were greeted warmly and kindly by reception. The rooms were okay, nothing spectacular, and the bathrooms were old and rustic. The smell is (from my best guess) an excess in sulfur and the water from surrounding areas, nothing to be concerned about. My fiance and I shared two single beds that were pushed together to make a double, but this hardly mattered either!

At this point, you're probably wondering how this was the 'epitome' of our trip. Well, let me tell you why. In the morning, we were presented with an all-you-can-eat buffet and bottomless coffee and tea. It was good, and the staff were very kind. But this isn't the reason. The man at reception (though I never caught his name, had blond air and said he was from Sweden) was one of the best staff members I've ever seen; he was flawless in his service. He let us leave our bags after a free late check-out; helped us to get a bus to Copenhagen; pointed us in the right direction of local attractions around the hotel; and, after returning from a swim in the local lake, gave us a room free of charge to shower and change!

Around the hotel, as previously said, is a lake and walk you would be stupid to miss. The location of this hotel, though out of the way, is spectacular. Down the road is a lavish lake and jetty, coffee house and boat hire. We hired a boat for two hours at a mere cost of 200 DKK. We rowed our way into the sunset, Notebook style, to the lake and had a dip, spoke with locals and saw kids jump from the wharf. It was, even after catching a train to Copenhagen and spending the day there and then in an AirBNB, the highlight for me personally and I'm sure my soon-to-be family would agree.

Though daunting at first, and the hotel rooms being a little older and worn (though certainly not as bad as some of these reviews would suggest...) the location, staff, and service makes up for everything and more. Swedish reception man, if you're reading this - you're the man!

Room tip: Get a room with a balcony overlooking the water
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2018

We payed a premium price to stay at Frederiksdal, but the stay felt nothing like premium. In pictures the hotel looks beautiful, but in reality this is just a facade. As soon as you get inside it becomes obvious that this is an old institution from the seventies which has been renovated to look like a modern hotel outside. The inside doors and skirtings look very worn down, and the interior has a old seventies mood to it.
There is no aircon in the rooms and our room was above 27℃ when we arrived. The large windows could not be opened, so the only option was to open the door to the balcony, but the balconies are shared among rooms, and who would want to sleep with the next door neighbour being able to walk straight in?
The water pressure was ridiculously low. Turning my showering handle upside down, the water could only rise 2-3 centimeters above the handle (see photo where the warm faucet is fully open) — bathing took ages.
The hotel had a nice terrasse, but in the morning I was the only one sitting out there because most tables were littered with bird pooh, which the staff had not bothered to remove.
On the plus side: The room was perfectly clean, breakfast was tasty, and the hotel is situated in beautiful surroundings.
Conclusion: For their premium price you can stay in so many other hotels which have proper air conditioning and an reasonable water pressure.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank randahldk
Reviewed 12 May 2018

Slightly tired hotel, but comfortable with excellent food and service. The position by the lake is exceptional, it was a slight shame that the hotel itself feels very tired, but dinner here was great too.

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Had 3 days/2 nights at this hotel on a business trip, and there were not a thing to put a finger on, except one thing, but I'll get back to that.
The staff were super friendly and professional, the rooms were clean and nice, almost every room have a balcony (if not all of them) - it's located semi central, but in a quiet area of Lyngby. We had business associates from overseas, and all the staff spoke almost perfect English. The restaurant and breakfast buffet were amazing, and so was the bar, with both pool tables and foosball. The only (small) thing was, that on the first evening the bartender was sick/off work, and we couldnt get cocktails, even though they had a sign with "todays cocktail" - however, the beers were just as good.
Overall, I'd definitly would consider going back with my wife for a private getaway. 5 stars, no doubt.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Small, cozy hotel with several conference rooms to work. Was missing fresh vegetables for breakfast, but maybe it is not very usual food to have for breakfast. Rooms are spacious with big terraces with nice nature view. Strange staff, can't say nothing bad but nothing good either.

Room tip: Ask for II floor with a terrace and south side.
Date of stay: December 2017