Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Destinia.com
Hotels.com
Travelocity
1,241 results
All reviews peak district groupon deal steak lovely village the main hotel derbyshire breakfast bar area friendly hotel sunday lunch lovely meal cheese shop pretty village long walk a lovely stay tea and coffee feel very welcome cooked breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 October 2020

The menu at this hotel is uninspiring. As I was there on a Wednesday, their steak night, I decided to choose this option. The steak I was served was inedible as I couldn’t cut through any part even with steak knife. Mentioned this to the waiter who was completely disinterested. Served with oven chips and small salad. This was poor value for money at £30 for two with small carafe of wine. I would like to comment on the desserts but no one offered us dessert and no waiting staff around to order one. I would never recommend dining here as there is a very good pub opposite.

2  Thank oscar552017
Reviewed 21 October 2020

Booked for Sunday Lunch on recommendation and we were not disappointed. Very Covid safe. The Sunday lunch menu is simple yet everything that you would want from a Sunday Lunch, and more (See the photo).

Excellent roast beef, perfectly cooked and a vast array of quality vegetables, alongside the most massive homemade Yorkshire Pudding. We were offered, and accepted extra gravy, as it was so delicious.

A perfect Sunday Lunch and all for less than £10

Good service, efficient and pleasant in a very Covid safe setting.

Drinks, particularly real ales, were good.

Already booked for a return visit.

2  Thank ysa1772
Reviewed 20 October 2020

Like others on here we booked a 2 night stay through Wowcher- though looking at some of the other reviews I wonder if I was in the same hotel! We are only from Derby and just wanted a change of scene after not being out of the city since lockdown
.The Charles Cotton is a charming old building right in the centre of the village, but is not like a modern purpose built hotel where all the rooms are the same. We had room 10 on the top floor, it was clearly one of the smaller rooms but perfectly OK, clean, well decorated, nice shower room. On the first night we eat in the restaurant, great food and very ample portions!! Friendly service. The breakfast was table order because of corona but again fine and a good choice. Over the couple of days we had drinks and one lunch in the bar, which I thought was a very cosy area. We were well attended to by Luke and his colleagues who were having to work hard to do table orders and serve the drinks.The tuna sandwich I ordered was enormous as the chef had given me some extra!! Tilly on reception was very friendly and keen to answer questions about local amenities
Yes, the rooms were not cleaned and made up each day, but this was clearly explained to us on check in as being part of the corona restrictions. OK the carpet in the reception area is threadbare and could do with replacing, but is this going to ruin my stay? Would I stay here again - yes!!

1  Thank deborahsT8624OR
Reviewed 19 October 2020 via mobile

I know we’re still living with COVID so we have to make allowances but good customer service should still be on the menu. Having stayed for 2 nights I think we got a fair impression of how this hotel is run. Check in is not allowed until 3, we arrived at 2:30 and were told we’d have to put our bags back in our car until 3. Ok COVID, we understand. We came back at 3 and waited 15 minutes to be met at the door to check in, we were given a room, and told to watch the lock as it was ‘a bit dodgy’ which means doesn’t work. Settled in and went down to the bar for a drink, seated straight away, good, waited 15 minutes before being asked what we wanted, then another 15 to be served. Time is definitely slower in the cotton hotel. Again breakfast the next day we sat down with 3 other couples, with no sign of the staff. After talking amongst ourselves turned out nobody had be out from the kitchen for 15 mins!! There’s a theme.
Came down later to ask for more milk, again a 15 min wait. I made the mistake of commenting on the amount of time stood waiting to be told ‘well I was busy out back’ thats ok then, that’s me appeased, I think that means ‘sorry dear paying guest’
Don’t get me wrong some of the staff are polite and helpful, but for some of the young men it’s obviously just a job.
My advice is by all means stay here but go over the the Devonshire Arms where the staff are polite, friendly and helpful and the beer and food are better too.

Reviewed 18 October 2020

We saw a Wowcher deal and decided to book it and also add an extra night. It was a pleasant three night stay.
The hotel is old and therefore looks tired in some places and there’s a lot that could be changed such as the decor and carpets. However we had great nights sleep and the hotel and surroundings were lovely and quiet.
There was a very loud pipe noise when another room used the water but luckily this wasn’t during the night!
The breakfast was ok, good choices but not good quality meat products. The bar area was pleasant and all Hotel staff were friendly. We decided to have dinner over the road at The Devonshire Arms, which served lovely food!
I would recommend with the deal but would not stay for full price.
Good location if travelling around the Peaks.