Lowest prices for your stay
Free cancellation until 21/05/21
FindHotel
US$117
SAVE US$16
Hotels.comUS$133
eDreamsUS$133
PricelineUS$132
1,241 results
All reviews peak district groupon deal steak lovely village the main hotel derbyshire breakfast bar area friendly hotel sunday lunch lovely meal cheese shop pretty village long walk a lovely stay tea and coffee feel very welcome cooked breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 October 2020 via mobile

I know we’re still living with COVID so we have to make allowances but good customer service should still be on the menu. Having stayed for 2 nights I think we got a fair impression of how this hotel is run. Check in is not allowed until 3, we arrived at 2:30 and were told we’d have to put our bags back in our car until 3. Ok COVID, we understand. We came back at 3 and waited 15 minutes to be met at the door to check in, we were given a room, and told to watch the lock as it was ‘a bit dodgy’ which means doesn’t work. Settled in and went down to the bar for a drink, seated straight away, good, waited 15 minutes before being asked what we wanted, then another 15 to be served. Time is definitely slower in the cotton hotel. Again breakfast the next day we sat down with 3 other couples, with no sign of the staff. After talking amongst ourselves turned out nobody had be out from the kitchen for 15 mins!! There’s a theme.
Came down later to ask for more milk, again a 15 min wait. I made the mistake of commenting on the amount of time stood waiting to be told ‘well I was busy out back’ thats ok then, that’s me appeased, I think that means ‘sorry dear paying guest’
Don’t get me wrong some of the staff are polite and helpful, but for some of the young men it’s obviously just a job.
My advice is by all means stay here but go over the the Devonshire Arms where the staff are polite, friendly and helpful and the beer and food are better too.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2020

We saw a Wowcher deal and decided to book it and also add an extra night. It was a pleasant three night stay.
The hotel is old and therefore looks tired in some places and there’s a lot that could be changed such as the decor and carpets. However we had great nights sleep and the hotel and surroundings were lovely and quiet.
There was a very loud pipe noise when another room used the water but luckily this wasn’t during the night!
The breakfast was ok, good choices but not good quality meat products. The bar area was pleasant and all Hotel staff were friendly. We decided to have dinner over the road at The Devonshire Arms, which served lovely food!
I would recommend with the deal but would not stay for full price.
Good location if travelling around the Peaks.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2020

This is a lovely, old, traditional hotel set in a pretty village. We stayed here for 2 nights and felt well looked after despite the Covid restrictions. Our room on the second floor was comfortable, spacious, nicely decorated with plenty of storage space. The big bathroom was well equipped and roomy, the only criticism would be the shower cubicle was rather small and the tiles could do with re-grouting.
We ate in the restaurant both nights, food was excellent, well cooked and hot with generous portions. The dining room is very impressive and the bar area well spread out. Breakfasts too were very good with well cooked local food. All the staff we met were friendly, pleasant and helpful. An enjoyable stay and well worth a visit.

Room tip: Room 10 on the second floor overlooking the back and car park was very quiet.
Reviewed 7 October 2020

Just returned from our 4th stay here for 2nights. We have a dog friendly room in the courtyard. Large room and very large bathroom. Lovely and clean. Ate in the bar both nights (with the dog). Meals were excellent. Hartington Blue burger and steak pie and mash on day one and we both had Haddock and chips on day two. Very good breakfast also. We really enjoyed them. The two guys in the bar worked very hard serving drinks and food all night. Nothing was too much trouble. The lady at reception was very friendly and helpful. Excellent systems in place for Covid. Well done Charles Cotton we will be back!

Reviewed 4 October 2020

My husband and I stayed here on a 2 night break. It's not the best hotel I've stayed in but I'm not bothered about luxury. I was there to walk and enjoy the beautiful scenery. What made it extra special for us was the staff who worked so hard especially the young man in the dining area and the young man on the bar. Nothing was too much trouble. Also the food served to us in the dining room was delicious. Lovely spot in the middle of a beautiful village.