See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 July 2016

There are now a number of 'posh' hotels in Houaxai...most of the central ones are more modest. The Gateway is one many that are perfectly adequate for a one night stop.
For about 500 Baht you can get a room and breakfast. Rooms are a bit cell like but come with tv a fridge and aircon. They claim to have wifi but I could not get it in my room...unless I sat in the hall outside...which is not terribly convenient! Rooms are clean, but beds not too comfortable. It looks quite grand from the downstairs lobby but the rooms could do with furnishing and re- decorating. But for a place to stop off before or after crossing the border it is OK.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2015

First of all: Don't try to book in advance Huoay Xai. The choice is plenty.
Second: Try getting a room in Gateway Hotel. Fares start at USD 10 (as of Nov 2015). Great breakfast is included (take the omelette as it comes with a big baguette). Wifi is stable. The room is ok but the standard is still developing and one is likely to see many new hostels soon.
Most important for me: Bed is comfy and clean. Pillows don't smell. Bathroom is solid: WC is operated by "bucket-system".

All in all: I'd definetly come again. What you get is more than what you pay for.

TIPP FOR EATING in town: Breakfast and dinners are a rip off everywhere. Try the nightmarket for dinner and either grab a hotel with breakfast or get a take away sandwich.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2015 via mobile

One night at this hotel. Because they provide free breakfast. Bathroom was clean and they provide towel too. Lots of GECKO are bonus. So move fast. I can not take a picture. If you hate them. You must find other Hotel. But Do not Worry. No Gecko in the room. Just on Corridor. WIFI enough for Searching internet. In the morning. You can visit temple on the hill easy.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

The accomodations in Huay Xai were all pretty standard. We went to check out a few of them before we stopped at Gateway. Gateway is a little pricier but that's because they provide free breakfast. If you're looking for a cheap American breakfast then this would be the place to stay because a standard American breakfast at the restaurants around cost 10 to 15000 kip more. Otherwise most accomodations are around the same price on the strip. This was our first stop in Laos from Thailand and the staff weren't as friendly but they tried to help if you asked them a question. Bathrooms were clean and they provide towels. Most places to stay seemed to be on this one strip in Huay Xai so in terms of location it's not really relevant. I'd stay elsewhere if I were to go back but because I like to change up my breakfasts so the deal isn't worth it for me.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2015 via mobile

This hotel is average, the Internet is okay and the rooms are clean enough for one night before we headed off to gibbon experience. I wouldn't recommend any longer, but seemed the cleanest and friendliest in the area. The restaurant next door has good food, and the free breakfast was a bonus!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends