See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We are repeat visitors to Magnolia and it has to be the best hotel/B & B we've stayed in - anywhere.
It is totally in keeping with Bishops Castle and Shropshire in general, relaxing, picturesque, friendly, quiet (well, except for a certain chaffinch that likes to get up early and sing from dawn till dusk!).
Geoff and Elizabeth make you feel special, more like family or friends than guests, and their breakfast offering is a delight too (no need for lunch, but on holiday when does 'need' come into it).
They know the area well, have plenty of maps for walkers and good advice on what to do, where to go/eat/drink.
Rooms are large, light and very comfortable with large ensuites.
If what you're looking for is a place to chill and enjoy all that this lovely county has to offer - look no further than Magnolia.
But don't book when we want to visit!

Room Tip: All the rooms (there are three) are pretty much identical. While I'm sure Geoff and Elizabeth welcome families with young children, it is probably more suited to adults and older children.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was my 3rd stay at Magnolia and my husband's 2nd and we had an absolutely brilliant time as usual. This is a lovely B&B and just seems to get better each time. From the moment we arrived we felt right at home, our room was The Wintles and we hadn't stayed in this room before-it is the blue room with lovely views of the Shropshire countryside. At Magnolia you are within walking distance of a good selection of bars, restaurants and shops in the charming historic town of Bishops Castle. We stayed 2 days and walked everyday we were there, there are fabulous walks on the doorstep, or many more a short drive away. We did 1 from Clun, 1 from Rattlinghope and The Stiperstones walk. All within half an hour drive of the B&B. Breakfast each morning was delicious with a good choice to start and a lovely full cooked Shropshire breakfast to follow. On the 2nd morning I had Kedgeree which was fab. Thank you once again Elizabeth and Geoff for another fantastic stay, your B&B is like a home from home and so relaxing. We will be back. Paula and Graham

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely with beautifully decoration, furnishings and lovely big en-suite bathrooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Magnolia recently for the first time , after reading all of the fantastic reviews on trip advisor, and we definitely weren't dissapointed. On arrival we we're give a really warm welcome by Geoff and Elizabeth, even offered a piece of homemade chocolate cake . Following this we were shown to our rooms both of which were very spacious and clean and had all toiletries thinkable. The following morning we went down to breakfast and were served a fantastic home cooked full English breakfast , aswell as helping ourselves to the cereal and homemade meusli and fresh pots of coffee and tea. Overall we had a fantastic weekend and would definitely recommend it as a place to stay . We will be going back soon .

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have always wanted to spend some time in Shropshire to walk and explore and as a surprise for my 50th birthday, I was treated to a two night stay in Magnolia. I was expecting just an ordinary B&B, which would be a luxury for me in itself, but Magnolia was so much more. An extremely warm welcome from Geoff and Elizabeth started our weekend, with afternoon tea and cake to get us settled in. Our room was perfect, it was spotlessly clean, spacious and welcoming (the huge bed was wonderful) and I loved the walk in shower. There were lots of lovely little touches that I noticed, that made all the difference to me. Everything was tastefully placed and we did not want for anything at all during our stay. The breakfast was spot on, with fresh fruit salad, and full english with local produce. Just the ticket for a full day's walking. Bishops Castle itself was a busy place with several good places to eat and drink. Our weekend was thoroughly enjoyable and we were fortunate enough to have it topped by seeing Geoff play his Hammond Organ at a gig in the Vaults giving us a brilliant evening's entertainment.

All in all I would definitely recommend Magnolia to any couple looking for a companionable weekend, without the children (and don't forget to try out the local microbreweries!) Both Geoff and Elizabeth are very knowledgeable about the local area and the walking routes and also have lots of maps available if you need them.

Would love to come back for another visit, hopefully before I turn 60!

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms are lovely. They all have seating with a view from different aspects of the house.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed in three rooms for a long weekend for a family reunion. We found the welcome, the rooms, the atmosphere and the facilities to be first rate.
Breakfast was fabulous, and nothing was too much trouble.
The owners were absolutely lovely and very much allowed us to take over their beautiful home with our family.
If we stay in this area again, I can't imagine staying anywhere else.
I have been racking my brain for a negative and have found it difficult to find one.
Thank you......

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely....
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family