All reviewsemerald suiteemerald islebogue soundprivate deckeach morningdouble showerjacuzzi tublove coming hereintercoastal waterwaybreakfast was deliciouswater viewoffer breakfastwonderful propertyan easy drivewedding venuegreeted us warmlybeach goers
Reviewed 26 March 2018

This was my second stay at the Harborlight Guest House. I came in 2015 and stayed at the Carteret Suite. This visit I stayed in Morehead. This suite is on the 3rd floor and offers a King bed, soaking tub (no jets), a reading corner, and nice views of the sunset. I enjoyed my stay very much. I thought this room had a better view, but I did miss having a jacuzzi tub. I was not clear that the tub had no jets. I think this needs to be made clearer somehow. Saying it's a European spa tub isn't clear to me on the website. Let's start with the positives. The room is very spacious, the breakfasts are large and filling, the property is very quiet and relaxing, the clubhouse is open and supplies free waters, sodas, and snacks. Now for the needs improvement, the mattress wasn't the most comfortable -- however I am very picky about my mattresses. I managed to sleep fine. I just prefer something plush. I felt sad that the color had been stripped away from the outside. It is all white now. That is just a taste thing. I just liked the colorful exterior. I almost didn't recognize the place. The new style is more modern and neutral overall. I am sure many will like the changes. There were a few maintenance things. A lamp did not work, and the remote control was not working on the DVD player. Perry came by to fix both; however, that was an interruption to time I wanted to be alone and relax. I was sad I didn't have a jacuzzi. The soaking tub worked fine, but the hot water ran out the first time I tried to use it because everyone was trying to use their tub. I never like to complain without making a suggestion. My suggestions for improvement are: When guests check out and before check in, do a sweep of each room, check to see if all lights, remotes, electronics are working. Clearly mark all switches and things that are dependent on a switch being on. The mood light on the tub only worked if a switch was on in the bathroom; however, I didn't know that, so I assumed the light was broken. Find out if guests want a room cleaning or not. The first night I stayed I was taking a nap and someone came up and knocked on the door. When I left for the day, someone came by and cleaned my room when it didn't need it. However, there was no way to opt out of this service. I would have opted out. Lastly, the previous owners were very charming, sweet, outgoing, and helpful. The new owners have a different personality, and that's fine, but they said call if you need anything. However, the first two times I called neither was very personable, and I felt like I was bothering them. Neither was rude, just not overly friendly in a way that was clear to me. Later in the weekend, they seemed to soften up, but it seemed to take awhile to open up. I think for this job, it helps if you can connect with people well. There is definitely room to grow in that regard.

Room Tip: every room has a great view. 3rd floor is best for a sunset view, but there are more stairs to climb.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Dana B, Owner at Harborlight Guest House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Hi Lindsey, thank you for the kind words and suggestions to improve the property. We always appreciate professional criticism so that we may better ourselves and the inn as well as ensure all of our guests enjoy a peaceful and relaxing stay. We do apologize for the inconvenience with the DVD player, we will keep a more watchful eye on missing remotes. This is an older building and we are still finding all of the quirks and oddball surprises including the electrical system. As the rooms are renovated, we will make sure to address the switch for the mood light. Also, we would have been more than happy to not intrude and offer daily housekeeping, we were unaware that you wished to not have this service. It's a standard practice for us to refresh rooms during the day making sure all trash is taken out, fresh towels and lines are provided and beds are properly made. We meant no intrusion by offering the service and should you stay wish us again, we just ask that you let us know that you wish to forego any housekeeping.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again sometime in the future!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Found it on the internet - it is pretty unassuming on the outside but when the doors open you know you have arrived at a special place. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN - no dust, no odor - beautifully decorated - gracious host - she spent a lot of time with us, going through the room not leaving out one detail. Breakfast was delicious, served in room so you can comfortably eat at your own pace. I agree with another guest who made a post "Don't waste your time staying anywhere else"

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2018

This place was amazing. So peaceful and beautiful. We stayed in the Morehead Suite and it was incredible. So spacious and relaxing. The views are incredible and it is so quiet. Breakfast each morning was delicious and Dana was very sweet and helpful. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2018

We have been coming here for years and have NEVER had one complaint. We have stayed at many other facilities around the area, and always come back here to Harborlight. It is like you are staying with family!! Each suite has it's own separate entrance which gives you privacy and the peaceful views are priceless!! The suites are always very clean and the daily breakfasts are to die for!!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

I love coming here. The view is like no other. The host and hostess are like family. Rooms are newly upgraded and clean and large. I come here on business every 8 weeks and am dying to bring my husband with me on a trip soon. I won’t stay anywhere else. This is an incredible gem!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business