“Last Minute Dive Calls”

Bohol Divers Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Danao
Reviewed 22 December 2014

Was in Cebu on December 2014 for company trip, planned to extend my stay in the Philippines for diving. One Philippino friend recommended to try Bohol instead of pricey Boracay.
Turned out it was DIFFICULT to find good and reliable dive center here in the Philippine, many people will try to offer you for rubbish trip especially when you on tight budget.

My fifth call was Bohol Divers Resort, this resort was made for divers! Maybe a tight budget one like me. They offer me diving for PHP 1500/dive (snorkeling and island hopping was at same price!) and PHP2000/night for accomodation -original price was PHP2500, discounted 20% if dive at their dive center.

Very humble room, but that was fine. I have everything I needed. Fresh water for drink, blanket, AC, nice and clean bed, cable TV, a not-working fridge, CLEAN bathroom, friendly staffs (thanks Ivan to arrange transportation from Tagbilaran port to the resort, it was almost midnight though).

Breakfast was good if not great, and from fellow diver I met from diving, they said you could get cheaper price for room outside but he also said I was lucky enough to get a room at seaside at reasonable price!

Dive center was helpful, the staff name Jun, will accomodate the diving and prepare all your equipment. My first day dive-master, we called him Cuco, was very concern of my safety and he would show you great dive sites at Balicasag and on second day, it was Pelayo, both Spanish guy and very experienced dive-master.

I saw schooling Jack-fish and in second day we dived the Ship wreck nearby the resort. Just 5 minutes away with speedboat.

I would recommend this resort, and would love to stay here again, don't put high expectation, you would disappointed.

You pay peanut, you get monkey ;)

PS: DON'T TAKE ANY TRIP OFFERED AT SEASIDE WITH PEOPLE BRING PAPER OF UNDERWATER PICTURES. IT'S A SCAM!

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel for fancy family holiday. This hotel was made for divers. :) IMHO.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank inge_graninggar

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed for three nights in August. The room was basic but fine for what we needed. Hotel is set on the beach and has a lovely breakfast area with view of the sea. Two pools which we used once. It appeared that there were cheaper places to stay on Alona Beach but we heard that some of the other hotels closer to the bars and restaurants could be noisy through the night and since Bohol Divers is pretty much the last resort on the stretch it was very quiet but seconds from the hubbub of the restaurants and bars. The staff were lovely and helpful and gave us a discount for consecutive nights and also because we went diving with the dive shop downstairs. Did an intro dive which was great, reasonably priced and we saw lots of coral and marine life around the nearby Balicasag Island. We had a lovely stay on Alona Beach and, as long as you're not after luxury or extreme comfort, then Bohol Divers is a perfectly fine place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie4012
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I often write reviews and believe I can find the silver lining fairly easily (perhaps my standards are pretty low). Perhaps I'm leaving a lower-than-normal review for Bohol Divers Resort because it's simply on Alona Beach and the prices are all too-high, the buildings are getting out-dated, etc... but honestly, I wasn't too impressed with this resort. Typically we stay at guesthouses or even hostels with private rooms, but seeing as those were nearly absent on Alona Beach, we opted to stay here after checking out a few other places along the strip. We had a 1500p room discounted down significantly, but honestly the floor in the room was really dirty (made my feet black) and the sink/toilet/shower area was less than desirable, even for this price-point. The A/C worked fine which helped us sleep nicely. We ended up having a slight cockroach problem on the 2nd night, and by slight problem I mean my wife woke up with one crawling on her and after killing that one, I woke up a few hours later with one in my hair around 2am. We've slept in sketchier places, but haven't ever had a cockroach in the room, let alone on us. Anyways, the following day we asked what could be done, and the workers said they'd clean it. Could we switch rooms? Not possible, even though it appeared less than 1/2 occupancy (it's low season). Fine. Cleaning will work, right? Well, they sprayed Lysol, a disinfectant. So at 9pm while I'm showering my wife finds a huge cockroach on the wall near the bed. Graciously they upgraded us rooms to a newer, cleaner and more expensive room, so that was a nice gesture on their part. So we spent 2N in a bit of a sketchy room for 1000p and then 1N (which was a really nice room in my opinion) in the upgraded room (they kept the same price 1000p). All in all, I think the staff handled it moderately - since they were nowhere near full, why not just switch us right away? I realize it takes labor hours and effort to clean 2x rooms instead of just the one... but customer should be King and we were patient with them, and tried to be understanding. Long story short - this resort is okay, but not great. If you want a nice room you'll have to shell out the dough for it. Since it was low season and everywhere had discounts, we thought we'd be alright. Perhaps we would have been better going off the beach to more a back-packer style place for a nicer/newer room at the same price. Hind-sight! The dive shop, below, however, was quite nice and well run by Simon T. The included breakfasts were simply ok - not great, but not terrible. Pretty basic and functional, got the job done! The view off the restaurant area was nice, so that was a bonus. And also the wi-fi worked pretty well the one or two times we used it. Had the cockroach incident not occured, this review would have been "average" due to the over-priced rooms (IMO)... they also mentioned they 'closed' that room off and will fix it to help prevent cockroaches in the future. I hope it's true!

Room Tip: There are many, many options throughout the price spectrum.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed 9 August 2014

"upgraded" to the "pool side villa". it was more like a parking lot side family apartment. was no where near worth the extra money to upgrade. when i think pool side villa i think cozy romantic villa that walks right out to the pool. this was a family room with kitchenette, including a stove (although there's a rule card in the room that says NO COOKING. ???) and a bedroom for 2 kids, that barely had a view of a second pool at the resort, (that is NOT in most of the pool pics on their website) pushed way back away from the main areas of the resort. It's almost like staying in a separate "off-beach" hotel behind the main resort. no internet in the rooms, in fact there isn't even a phone. can't call the front desk, the resto or housekeeping.

Room Tip: avoid the pool side villa unless you are traveling with kids. this is not a romantic pool side suite...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shane K
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at the Bohol Divers Club during the Holy Week of 2014. Breakfast was free and the guy at the restaurant who made our omelets was very nice and accommodating. The cleaners were also very helpful. Rooms are big and the bathrooms are also big, but they need to change the faucets since they are rusty and looks dirty. The beach is clean and the sand is white and fine. Overall, we love this hotel, and we will definitely stay there again next holy week.

Room Tip: Stay at the villas, its closer to the beach front and the public pool.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danao
15 km away
14.5 km away
BE Grand Resort, Bohol
14.6 km away
Bluewater Panglao Beach Resort

Been to Bohol Divers Resort? Share your experiences!