“Lovely tearooms, in a fantastic location!”

The Water Mill Tearooms
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Raunds
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Description: A beautiful tearoom set on the River Nene. Come and enjoy a slice of homemade cake (vegan and gf options available) whilst taking in the stunning surroundings. Ingredients are locally sourced and of the finest quality. We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Recently visited the tea rooms and was blown away! Lovely service, food and cake to die for. The mill itself is beautiful, with views of the marina and river out the back which are lovely whatever the weather! Inside was just as nice, with a lovely decor and a warm, cosy vibe. Definitely worth a visit if your around, and shall be returning as soon as we can!

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank sj9575

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Saturday morning and called in for breakfast at 9:15. The opening time is 9:00 and four elderly people were already inside with coffees. A good sign. We were given menus at the counter and told to pick a table and to come back to the counter to order. Four full English breakfasts please (noted on the order pad), 3 coffees and a tea. The drinks were then individually made while the food order remained on the counter - the chef was visible through in the kitchen and could have been preparing the food. Oh well! After I'd carried the drinks to the table we waited about half an hour for the food to arrive. After about 10 minutes of waiting some music (which in our opinion wasn't appropriate for the elderly group still coffeeing nearby) was put on. Too loud, but more irritatingly it kept stopping and starting at 10 second intervals. Not sure if it was a dodgy internet connection or a skipping cd. I am sure that it was very annoying though. The food was served on cold plates - a personal pet hate in my family. The waitress asked if the music was annoying us. It was, and was turned off. The accompanying toast was served without side plates and the butter was frozen. I mean really frozen! Simply too hard to do anything with. A couple of us had the toast without any butter at all. The breakfast was ok. But being on cold plates really spoiled things for me. The potato bread was a nice touch and tasty but quickly cooled. The coffee was nice. Customer care was poor. Cakes on display looked good but I can't vouch for how they tasted.
I shall not be going back which is a real shame as the building and setting is great.

Date of visit: October 2017
6  Thank Smileynev
Ben S, Owner at The Water Mill Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi Nev,
I'm so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your trip to our tearoom and I'd like to take this opportunity to look through the points you've raised.
In regards to the food order being left on the counter, I want to assure you that the time it took me to make your drinks did not delay your breakfast as the chef was preparing several other breakfasts at the time. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the coffee; we have had lots of compliments on it and spent a lot of time selecting which coffee to use so it's great that you liked it!
In regards to the music- as soon as I realized that it was skipping, I took the device away to try to solve the problem. We have now purchased a new speaker so hopefully this won't happen again as I understand how frustrating it can be! I am surprised that you found our relaxing acoustic playlist unsuitable and I would have been more than happy to change this if you had asked. I can assure you that our regular customers who you have mentioned have never raised this issue with me, and in fact they enjoy it!
With reference to the breakfast, I'm very sorry that the plates were cold. At the moment, we do not have facilities to warm plates but this may be something we consider in the future. Our butter is kept refrigerated as it would melt if it was at room temperature given the heat of the kitchen, so again I'm afraid that i can only apologize for this. I agree with you that the potato bread is incredibly tasty and a great addition to a Full English!
I am sorry that you felt our customer care was poor. We have over 80 reviews between websites praising our excellent customer service and have had lots of fantastic verbal feedback too so I shall take some comfort in that.
It's a shame that you didn't take the opportunity to speak to me at the time as many of the issues you have raised could have quickly and easily been resolved; my aim is to create a warm and inviting environment for everybody to enjoy and I welcome feedback in person.
I wish you all the best.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

I recently visited here with friends for breakfast. The tearoom is so pretty inside and out, the staff are very friendly and the food scrummy. The homemade cakes are to die for and reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend and I will be returning soon.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank 88kls

Hi!
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit- it's great to hear good feedback! Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 23 September 2017

We were in the area for a weekend during summer and were treated to a lovely coffee and some generous portions of some lovely cake in a very clean and comfortable setting. We went back the next day for breakfast before heading home and enjoyed a lovely full english while bathed in early morning sun in the outside seating area. The new owners have done a terrific job in a short amount of time and we will definitely be returning again when we're in that neck of the woods.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Tom W

Hi Tom!
I'm so glad that you discovered our tearoom and that you enjoyed it! We don't do small portions here so you can always be assured you'll get a generous slice of cake! Look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Have been coming here since the mill has been under new management beginning of August 17 and things just keep getting better and better.

Beautiful location, excellent service with food to die for! Have been sampling the breakfasts and cakes up to now and this was the first time we had the new lunchtime menu and have to say that the Angus Burger & chips is by far the most tasteful and delicious I have ever had!! Followed this with another coffee and a portion of their delicious cake which again did not disappoint.

We sat by the river enjoying the sunshine and the the food and have to say the staff were both courteous and polite thus creating a really relaxing environment to pass the time of day in.

Most definitely worth going out of our way for!!

Date of visit: September 2017