“Fantastic meal”

The Mulberry Tree
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

I was a bit apprehensive as other Groupon reviews have not been great. As soon as we got the starters which was sardines my apprehension diminished. They were the best sardines I have ever had! For mains we both had the duck which was really delicious, tender and fell off the bone. The pudding was equally as delicious and we are going to book again in July. The staff were lovely and the food was served without waiting too long. Can't wait to return!

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

Was quite difficult to find as people said .I got a Groupon voucher for a present ! The sardines were lovely and had a oil dressing which was light and tasty I then had the goats cheese dish which was lovely and then the lemon posset with strawberries , the first time I've had 3 courses for ages ! I was extremely full but it was worth it ! After reading past reviews I Agee ! Your there to serve not to take abuse ! Manners are free !

2  Thank debandkaren13
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Visited the Mulberry Tree for the first time last night after abandoning ship on another venue which was way too noisy. Fortunately they managed to find a table for us on a Saturday night due to a cancellation. Staff were very friendly and we didn't have to wait at all. The food was excellent, particularly the asparagus and Parma ham starter and the carrot cake dessert. The only downside was the extra side order never turned up. Apart from that all the courses were very high quality and the menu had some great choices. Would definitely come back again and recommend to others.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

The food......The £1 supplement for 2 small pieces of white bread & 2 small pieces of brown ( bits of bread) seemed a little mercenary. The "Amuse Bouche( presented with the bits of bread) was actually a couple of pastry "straws". The sardine dish was very good. The duck was overdone ...not for me but so what! The service..... We were ,on arrival not recognised initially,but then overheard being identified ,not by name,but as 'Groupon'.
The experience..... ,An aperitif in a beautiful garden on the best day of the year so far was unsurpassable,so for us that was the best part of the evening.Unfortunately we did not receive the best service and were given the wrong bill which we had to question,which was resolved not in the professional way one would expect .

question.That was resolved but unfortunately not in a professional way

15  Thank mevans478
KarenW2299, Owner at The Mulberry Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

I recall your visit on Thursday 25 May. You complained that your confit duck leg was overcooked when it was not, I tried it.

At the end of the meal you were unfortunately given another table’s bill by mistake which the waitress apologised profusely for. It was a genuine mistake, which she told you, not intentional and she apologised repeatedly. This did not appease you in any way and you then went on to complain that your evening had been ruined by your journey to us, something that is obviously out of our control. You further complained that you visited with a Groupon voucher that was a present, again something out of our control. You took issue that you had been identified as a Groupon customer on arrival, which was purely one member of staff communicating with another to ensure you were given the appropriate menu.

Both of you were rude and extremely aggressive with our waitress which ended up with her having to walk away from you saying she was not going to be spoken to in such a manner. She actually went to the toilets and burst into tears after the way you spoke to her.

After you left, both of the tables that were either side of you complimented our waitress on how professional she had behaved in the face of such rude and aggressive behaviour. Neither table could quite believe how people of your age could behave in such an “outrageously offensive and discourteous way” – their words not mine!

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

I have heard lots of good things about this restaurant so when my husband said he had bought a lunch voucher I was very much looking forward to our visit. The restaurant is very smart with a lovely view out into a very pretty terrace garden. First we had home made bread with pea soup amuse bouche very very nice. For starters sardines. It didn't work for me I really didn't like the oily dressing which smothered the whole dish but my husband happily ate his and mine! For mains we both had fish and chips. The chips were very average. I didn't like the fish skin it was very strongly tasted and for me spoiled the whole dish although the peas and tartare sauce were nice. My husband also thought the fish wasn't the best we have had. Puddings were for me banoffee pie, the base of which was tasteless, and cheesecake for my husband which he said was ok. I don't think we will go back again esp as the service wasnt friendly all the staff were a bit indifferent. Glad we tried a groupon voucher first.

3  Thank 2016aht4710