All reviewsdeluxe beach villaoctopusfisheagle raysroom boycurry stationoutdoor bathroomplunge poolgrill restaurantdive centrecurriesout of this worldflip flopsour honeymoondart boardconstruction workall inclusive plan
Reviewed 14 January 2018

We went the 4th time. We had a lovely Holiday. We had a lagoon Villa with our own little plunge pool just great.. The food is a dream and the all inclusive beverages also.
The Staff is great so friendly and polite. Now they have a adult swimming pool on the other side of the Island. We like both pools. Our roomboy was excellent. Had a lovely
bed decoration when we came and also when we left. What also good is that this
Resort is not far from the airport , just about 50 minutes. We are going again in April and taking some friends with us.

Room Tip: we always had a lagoon pool
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heidi B
Reviewed 13 January 2018

Just back last night from OBLU Helengeli - one of our best holidays ever! This was our 3rd time in the Maldives, having stayed previously at Vakarufalhi and at Royal Island which were both excellent, but I must say that OBLU Helengeli has set the bar even higher. I’m the type who spends hours researching before making a booking and I’m happy that my research paid off big time. So here’s a review from a picky perfectionist who’s usually quite hard to please:

Airport transfer: very comfortable and efficient boat ride (50 mins) from Male airport - the OBLU boats are air-conditioned and even have wifi! A lovely welcome with traditional drums awaits you upon arrival - very nice touch, along with the OBLU blue prosecco!

House reef: the crowning glory of Helengeli and truly exceptional, not only in terms of health of the coral reef itself, but especially the richness and variety of the marine life. Daily snorkelling with turtles, rays, reef sharks, octopi and gazillions of multi-coloured fish - breathtaking!

Dive centre: in choosing Helengeli, it was important for me to have good snorkelling available because, although my husband dives, I do not … or rather, I did not dive, until now that is! Unbelievably, after many years of hesitation and more than a little fear (I’m a product of the ‘Jaws’ generation!), I finally felt I was comfortable and in the right supportive and secure environment to get my first diving certification! That says a lot about the club and especially my instructor Mara who was outstanding - so inspiring and encouraging! Thanks to Sergio for the efficient handling of the PADI certification paperwork and 'arigato' to Imma for accompanying me on my first post-certification dive.

Food: the whole island is all-inclusive so there’s no annoying plastic bracelet to wear ;-) The food in the Spice buffet restaurant is exceptional and the variety is incredible - just how do they manage to get all those fine ingredients to the island without us ever noticing a single delivery vessel?! The all-inclusive drinks selection has something for everyone, even including prosecco - I’ve never seen such a wide offering of all-inclusive choice. A big plus about the restaurant is that there are a number of tables outside on decking from where you can watch the fish, rays, sharks & co. go by and you are not restricted to the same table each time as is the (annoying) rule with other islands.

Accommodation: we stayed in a deluxe beach villa on the sunset side of the island which I would strongly recommend. The servicing of the room was immaculate (thanks to Ziyad who did a marvellous job and always with a smile) and it is equipped with just about everything you could possibly need for your comfort. IMPORTANT: about 5km offshore on the opposite side there is work going on to construct an island that will eventually house a luxurious Ritz Carlton resort. Due to the location of our villa I can honestly say that we were not affected or bothered by the construction at all - it is even a little intriguing to see how a resort island is ‘born’ out of tons of sand. However, I must admit that I would have not been happy staying in a beach villa on the construction side because the machinery is visible and work goes on until late at night under spotlights that are quite glaring even at a distance. As long as you get confirmation in advance that you can have a villa on the sunset side then there is absolutely nothing to worry about - I mean, I am just dying to go back and even had tears in my eyes when we had to leave, so that says it all!

Staff: every single member of staff that we encountered was exceptionally friendly and welcoming yet also quietly efficient and professional. They quite simply can’t do enough for you and this leads to an overall relaxed and content atmosphere.

Big downside - having to leave! :-((( We certainly hope to return! :))))

Room Tip: Deluxe beach villa on sunset side is a must.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ann B
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Recently visited this island staff excellent food excellent only one problem I was not told about the building site opposite oblu island for some people this would not be a problem but for me I work on building sites all my life this is the last place I expect to see a building site after paying so much money and not being informed about this I feel is totally outrageous!!!
When I spoke to my travel agent he was horrified to know that he also was not informed by atmosphere group and had he been told he would have then given us the choice of going to oblu or choosing another island with no construction in site!!!! The manager of oblu told me that they do not put this information on their website!!!! This to me is dishonest as they wait for you to arrive and then you have no choice but to stay although they kept saying to me it’s not on there island I feel that I should have been told that just over a mile in my view as I was in the adult pool overlooking this monstrosity!!!!!!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
24  Thank davegreen1969
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here in September. The Maldives were always somewhere we wanted to visit and this island/resort perfectly captured everything you might imagine when thinking of the Maldives. We were in a beach front villa no more than 20 metres from the sea where you can see reef sharks and rays swimming up and down the coast line by your feet. Overhead you have the flying foxes which are enormous but amazing to watch. Then with the various lizards, birds and crabs it really does feel like something from a David Attenborough programme! The room was spacious and had a comfortable bed and huge outdoor shower/bathroom area. It was kept immaculate by the cleaner, Saleem who we would often talk to whenever we saw him. Much like all the staff he was very friendly and nothing was too much for him.
The food was great (with lots of sea food). The restaurant was buffet style with various stations and a live cooking station that was great for omelettes in the morning. If you’re not a fan of sea food there is still an ample selection of food to choose from. You can pay a supplement and have a lobster dinner on the beach as we did one night, sat under the stars enjoying what if I remember correctly was a 5 course meal.
As far as activities go, there were water-sports available but we didn’t choose to do many of them, except the scuba diving. As you might imagine the dive quality is unparalleled and there is wildlife everywhere; sharks, turtles, octopus’s, rays and more! If you aren’t a fan of diving and just want to snorkel then the house reef is home to more fish than you can imagine (I saw a few sea turtles just off the jetty and the top of the island. The resort also had a great spa that my wife would frequent almost daily. I only went once for the couples massage and it was great. To sum up, there genuinely isn’t anything negative I could say about this hotel. We were heading to Dubai for the second part of our holiday and didn’t want to leave this paradise island at all!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
42  Thank pford182
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

We picked this resort based on the many positive reviews on trip advisor. The choices for the Maldives are so great it’s important to get a reliable source to be sure that the resort is not going to disappoint.

So were we disappointed - no, no and no again. From the moment we left the airport to the moment we returned two weeks later Oblu by atmosphere at Helengeli lived up to the reviews. The reception at Male was swift and efficient and super friendly. The boat transfer was 50 mins of excitement building until the island came into view. The traditional welcome and reception was excellent and then we were escorted to our rooms. We had a deluxe beach villa which was perfect in every way.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Throughout the two weeks we were always greeted with smiles and friendly welcoming staff. Nothing was too much trouble. I celebrated by birthday and was amazed at the lengths the staff went to for my special day.

The food was amazing. Throughout the two weeks we were served a delightful array of food from all over the world. There was never a meal that disappointed and what the kitchens produced for New Year’s Eve was simply beyond words.

The dive centre was superb. Skilled and attentive staff looked after every aspect of the dive operation. I brought my own dive gear but the equipment at the dive centre was very high quality and the whole operation was stress free. If I have one “observation” to make it would be to check the timing of your visit as that could influence the diving considerably. We had some fierce currents and lower viz as a result of the state of the tides. Obviously that’s beyond the dive centres control, but I can assure you if they could have changed it they would.

Toward the end of our holiday we had an opportunity to meet the management team. We tried to find anything that we would recommend to be changed. We were amazed that between us we couldn’t honestly come up with anything that should be done differently.

As mentioned the staff are the ones who make the holiday special. It is incredibly difficult to select individuals but we would like to thank especially -

Agisa for her incredible welcoming smile and delightful personality. She also did some amazing freehand henna tattoos for my wife.

Wajeeh and Sergio in the dive centre for their professional and friendly dive guides (even though Sergio is obsessed with sea slugs!).

Overall the resort deserves the highest praise for exceptional staff, service and quality.

Finally the proof of a good thing is always the question - would you do it again and the answer is YES.

Thank you so very much for a truly amazing experience.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family