“Delicious food, quiet setting”
Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: @foxinsteeple Is A Friendly 15th Century Village Restaurant And Pub Serving Freshly Prepared Foods, Fine Wines And Cask Marque Ales To Locals And Visitors Alike, All Provided With Your Enjoyment In Mind.
Reviewed 2 September 2017

We met friends here and had a delicious lunch after it was recommended- bare wood tables, comfortable seating and heavy cloth napkins make a good impression. We were given warm bread rolls( two gluten free) and biputter to start, and our main courses of seabass, a burger, a rump steak and a gammon steak were all excellent, and beautifully presented. We only managed two puddings- a strawberry pannacotta ( gluten free) and a chocolate tart- again beautifully presented and absolutely delicious.
They were happy to accomodate gluten free diners and there was a reasonable choice for us too.
It was really quiet and I dont know why because this place should be heaving!

1  Thank Beth H

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Looked on Tripadvisor for best pub dining in local area and this place came up. Definitely not disappointed. Had a very pleasant lunch with my elderly brother-in-law. Coupled with a selection of well kept real ales, it couldn't have been better.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I can't put into words how much we loved this pub! As soon as you walk in you feel at home and comfortable In the surroundings. The staff were lovely and the locals made you feel so welcome.
For a small pub it was incredible. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. The menu was small but that was fine with us as there was a choice and variation . I had the salmon stir fry and it is honestly the best I have had in a long time.
All the way home we just couldn't get over how lovely the pub was and we both said that we felt like we were on holiday somewhere not just 30 minutes down the road.
I am definitely spreading the word about this little gem! An I must add that the hanging rubber duck on a low door frame had me giggling! Made me duck that's for sure!

Well done to all the staff on making such a wonderful job of this hidden gem! We will be back asap!

1  Thank Warner8919
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for dinner last week with family, was lovely pub and really friendly staff but would like to have seen maybe a few more things on the menu, I had cod risotto the cod was nice but risotto was quite sickly and more like cream pudding and the same with my daughters tomato and basil risotto again bit too creamy and soggy, my husband had the rib eye steak but said it tasted like quite a cheap piece of meat definitely not rib eye, the duck salad was great though and desserts were ok, bit expensive for just an ok meal.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

We visited the Fox and Hounds for dinner last night based upon the amazing reviews it had received on here, but I must say we were disappointed. We do eat out on a regular basis and particularly like restaurants with a specials board as this usually gives the chef a chance for some creativity, and overhearing the next table it appears that they used to have a specials board but now is just the standard menu. We did wonder whether the pub has changed hands recently given the above. We were greeted on a friendly basis when we arrived but felt we almost had to search out the staff to get any further service.

I had the herb crusted cod on a bed of prawn and spinach risotto, the cod was lovely but the risotto was very overcooked, soggy rice not what you expect from a risotto. My wife had the pork fillet which was bland, overly salted, overcooked and dry and not at all what was expected.

All in all a disappointing experience and we shall not be returning.