US$125
US$195
Lembeh Resort(Pulau Lembeh)
US$255
US$128
Tangkoko Ranger Homestay(Bitung)(Great Value!)
US$11
US$158
Agoda.com
Botanica Nature Resort(Bitung)(Great Value!)
US$39
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsdive centrefishlembeh straitdive operationmuck divingsitting roomwish listgreat divedive staffbeachfront cottagetuna sashiminon diversmandarin divecamera roommosquito nettingmanado airporton stilts
Reviewed 8 July 2018

We picked this resort on the internet for diving in the Lembeh Straits and as a base from which to visit the macaques and tarsiers in the Tangkoko jungle. From start to finish the KBR experience was terrific. We arrived late at Manado Airport and were collected by the resort as planned. We had not expected to dine that night but the driver was able to recite the entire menu and phone in our choices such that we sat down to dinner within minutes of arriving. Our semi-detached bungalow was situated on the waterfront and comprised a large, well appointed bedroom with bathroom and a separate lounge and verandah.
The diving facilities seemed very good although due to ephemeral health issues we weren't able to avail ourselves of them. The jungle safari to see the macaques and tarsiers was a great day out and one I would thoroughly recommend.
All the meals at KBR were served at the table either inside the restaurant or on the waterside verandah. The choice of food was was wide and everything we chose was of the highest quality. Throughout our stay all the staff we met were polite, courteous and professional.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2018

We enjoyed our beachfront cottage; in these rooms you do share your front porch, although when we were there we were the only people in our section so had the porch to ourselves (with a nice view of the water and the ships going by). Room had both a bedroom and a sitting room plus the porch, so there was plenty of room to spread out. Big bottles of water were provided every day. All the staff members are super friendly and helpful. If you prefer to be right next to the dive operation you might prefer the higher priced cottages. Dive operation is down to an exact science. When we were there only two people per each dive guide. The dive briefings are done before getting on the boat and include excellent maps. After staying in two other resorts with shared dining we enjoyed having meals served "restaurant style" and the variety of food was impressive. One thing that doesn't get enough attention is how great the house reef is for either snorkeling or diving. Saw all kinds of great fish and other critters there (good for non-divers). We hired a private guide to pick us up and take us to see Tangkoko park and that was a good option. The place was mostly very quiet when we were there in early May, although that can change quickly if a big group arrives. Would definitely come again.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rockquail
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I gave KBR 5 stars the last time I reviewed it in 2014 ( https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g680020-d555425-Reviews-Kungkungan_Bay_Resort-Bitung_North_Sulawesi_Sulawesi.html ), and, if I could, I would give it 6 this time around. The saying goes that it is difficult to improve on perfection, but KBR seems to have done just that.

All of the great things I mentioned last time around remained exactly the same, and they've even made improvements. I think the only even minor complaint I had last time around was that the wifi didn't reach all areas of the resort well, but they have since added several more hotspots. Some cabins have their own, while others are shared among, at the most, three or four other cabins. My room had not just one, but TWO AC units that blew EXTREMELY cold, which was nice for this Texas boy that is used to his aircon. I noticed very few bugs in my room, but I was very careful about not leaving any scraps of food in my room, as even a crumb will attract them. If I have any suggestion at all on things KBR could possibly do differently, it would be that they leave a small Tupperware container or cooler on the patio or in the room for guests to place dirty plates. It was no problem for me at all b/c I left them outside on the patio railing, but I felt bad for whomever eventually had to pick up the ant-covered plates. They were never there for long because the staff here is so on top of things, but it doesn't take long to attract the ants. To clarify, these weren't the kind of ants that bite, though, so no worries. The grounds are still kept absolutely beautiful and picturesque, sure to make anyone you share photos with jealous. I even noticed the groundskeepers up and about before 5:30am with headlamps clearing leaves from the ground before sunrise.

Once again, I seemed to have lucked out and caught the resort while it was slow. There was a large group there for a few days, but they were all put on a different dive boat. Because of that, I enjoyed a 1:2 guest/guide ratio my entire stay... No, I didn't put that backwards. I had my own dive boat most days, and not just one, but TWO dive guides all to myself every dive to find all of the critters that the Lembeh area has to offer. All of my dives were over an hour, and most were in the 70-90 minute range, with plenty of time spent in the shallows looking for critters while off-gassing.

A critter in particular you're looking for? Put it on the list and they know where to find them. Want to order your lunch before your 2nd dive and have it delivered to your room during your surface interval so you don't have to waste time changing clothes twice (again, another great reason to book a villa-Room service)? Done. Have one of your strobes blow out on the 2nd day (damnit)? They'll call around to see if any of the area resorts have one available for rental (unfortunately, none did). Somehow manage to drop your mask into the water after a dive (I STILL don't know how I managed to do that...lol)? They'll go back and find it. Any reasonable request, and they'll make it happen.

Again, the menu offerings were outstanding and varied, and they have a different off-menu "local special" each night for dinner as an option. I was there for 8 nights, 3 meals/day, and I don't think I ever ate the same main course twice.

I'm sure some of the other resorts in the area are outstanding as well, but from my experiences on both of my trips here, I simply have no reason to try anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 December 2017

We returned for our sixth visit this September. KBR never lets you down, from the wonderful reception when we arrived from Bunaken to our serenaded departure and back home again.
We stayed in the beach villa T6, which was just idyllic, close to the dive centre and restaurant and just a stones throw to the waters edge. As expected the diving was first class and our guides very helpful. In fact we had one-to-one guides for the 8 days that we dived, being the quietest we had ever known. I think this was a bit of luck for us, as the resort was at full capacity the day we departed.
Thanks Linda, Ais and Bearie for making us feel so welcome and thanks to the lovely family from Jakarta who bought a whole pig for roasting and kindly offered the staff and us to share in their treat.
The weather was very kind to us and the water was a steamy 29C, unlike a couple of years ago. Although there does seem to be a b better opportunity for finding blue- ring octopus when it is cooler.
The dive centre has undergone a lot of refurbishment in the last couple of years and now looks very professional.
We were sorry to see Jenly on boat duties rather than finding the moist amazing critters; we hope he gets better soon and we have the opportunity to experience some wonderful diving with him.
Andrew & Jane

Room Tip: Any of the rooms T1 to T8 are wonderful with un interrupted views of Lembeh straits
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CornishDiver
kungkunganbay2015, Manager at Kungkungan Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Thank you so much for the great review about us. You two have been so very wonderful to us here at KBR. We were happy to see you two again this year. Glad you enjoyed the stay and all the dives. We all look forward to see you again.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Beautiful resort. Perfect location for diving. 5-7minutes boat ride to almost all out of 50 dive spot. Good food and friendly staff. Very good dive guide in helping amazing micro rare underwater critters. You can make a wish list. They can't guarantee but they will help you to find those dream critters.
We were lucky we found all of our wish list of rare critters. Very very recommended

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family