“Secret But Amazing High Tea”

The Secret Garden Tea House
Ranked #11 of 32 Restaurants in Elora
Reviewed 12 March 2018

My daughter and I visited here last weekend as a special mother-daughter outing. It was fabulous, fantastic, awesome... I can't say enough about it. Everything was perfect: my strawberry Fields tea, the super sandwiches, scones and desserts, the tea pot and china, and the fabulous service! Two hours of decadent luxury, calm peacefulness and a fabulous view of the secret garden. To top it off, the bill was brought inside a well-read copy of the novel " A Secret Garden". I just loved it. I will go back soon.

1  Thank Karen B

Reviewed 11 December 2017

I have been wanting to try an afternoon tea experience like this ever since I heard about the new Tea House opening in Elora. This year for my friends annual Christmas get together we decided to try it at the Tea House and I think this will become a new tradition of ours!

As we were a group of 5 we made a reservation for 1pm to ensure us a spot in this busy season. The decor throughout the building was absolutely stunning with the most beautiful antique furniture and the tables being so nicely set with the napkins folded into roses - feeling like true royalty. We were seated upstairs with a lovely view on to the main street watching the snow fall through the large windows. The room was decorated for Christmas and Santa was even there to take pictures by the fireplace, as an added bonus a picture of our group with Santa was printed in a festive envelope by the time we were ready to go as a fun keepsake.

There was a large selection of teas to choose from so we were each able to get our own pot and share to try a few from the menu, Mama's Inspiration was my personal favourite! The sandwiches, scones and desserts that we received as part of the “Tea for Two” were absolutely delicious. There was also a vegetarian option which was great for our group and even our vegan member was accommodated with a large tray of fresh fruit and vegetables. This was a perfect afternoon to kick off the holidays with amazing food and excellent service - we will be back!

Reviewed 10 September 2017

We came here in August for tea. We were hungry so asked if we could have some sandwiches. They served us the most expensive option, the 'tea for two', which at $48 is outrageously pricey for what you get. We generally will never leave a dessert behind but the cakes that we were served were quite mediocre. If i'm paying $48 for tea, I would expect pretty scrumptious cakes, but they served a peanut butter chocolate square and a lemon curd tart...nothing particularly memorable. The scones were on the dry side too. One element I did appreciate was that they had a wide variety of loose leaf teas.

In addition, I went into the washroom at 4 pm, aware that it was closing time but we had far to drive, and apparently my companions were approached by one of the wait staff who made it clear that it was time for us to leave as they close at 4. This was even though my companions were obviously packing up their bags to go. If someone has just patronized your restaurant, then you think you'd have the patience and politeness to give them a few minutes to gather their belongings when it's clear that they're intending to leave imminently.

I have no desire to go back. The place is simply far too pretentious and uptight and the food doesn't even come close to being worth the price. I get that in the owners' minds you're paying for an 'experience' but an experience has to be more than pretty china and a selection of teas.

3  Thank Bubaloo2007
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Such a lovely discovery in Elora. Twice I've been where we sat in the garden this summer and once indoors when the weather was not good. Beautiful quaint decor and the luncheon we ordered was all homemade, fresh and delicious. Huge pots of tea for each person with an extensive tea menu.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We arrived at 2:35 PM without reservation but were told they closed at 3 PM. nevertheless we were seated as we only wanted a scone & tea. The tables are well set with beautiful Country Rose china and sparkling flatware. This was our 3rd visit and we noted that there has been no improvement in the decor. The walls are a bare ecru colour with no paintings or wall hangings, There are no small bits of furniture or other tasteful ornaments. The downstairs room looks very institutional. As for the hours, suggest tea to be served until 4 PM a more usual time for tea shops. It is delightful to see a Tea Shop in Elora but it needs more ambiance.

1  Thank Batman1942