All reviews boutique hotel rooftop terrace honesty bar exclusive room top floor stylish rooms plunge pool wonderful hotel amazing views lounge area private balcony relaxing atmosphere century building lovely boutique cobbled streets bottle of cava old town
Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

We were really excited about this hotel, meant to be the luxe special on a 3 week driving holiday in Portugal and Spain. The reviews were fantastic, especially on Mr and Mrs Smith and I-escape. But I wouldn't recommend you to stay here, and I'm not sure I've ever written that about a hotel on TripAdvisor before.

It went wrong before we arrived. After we booked, a month before we were due to stay, we had an email to say there was some issue and we couldn't stay in the hotel. Wasn't really explained but they offered to put us up in the Casa de Califa by way of compensation. Then, mysteriously, 2 weeks later, they said they had a room available again.

The day before we were due to arrive, we emailed to find out about where and how to park. We were greeted with a really unhelpful reply, saying the car parks would all be full because of the local fiesta and we couldn't drive to the hotel. Obviously deeply unhelpful. Especially for a hotel charging close to €300 a night, astonishing that they don't have their own parking and/or that they don't have some sort of service by which we would be greeted by a member of staff to assist with bags and parking. The next day, two hours before we arrived, we called. This time, someone different told us she would call la Casa de Califa and arrange reserved parking and we could call them to send a taxi when we arrived at the main car park. But when we arrived, the woman who answered the phone had no idea what we were talking about and told us to park anywhere. It's worth noting that other hotels had reserved spots marked for them in the main car park, but the most exclusive hotel of all doesn't bother. It's €18 a day parking plus €7 taxi each way to the hotel.

The hotel itself: on the first night, we were given room 4. No comfortable bed or high quality Egyptian cotton sheets can make up for the fact that it is a room essentially without Windows or any light at all. It's dark and gloomy and therefore, despite the quality fixtures and fittings, utterly depressing. The hotel is sold on the amazing views from the terrace where there is a jacuzzi that looks out to the plains below. We didn't have a scrap of light, never mind a view.

The jacuzzi wasn't working, we had had no notice of that. The terrace was essentially out of order because of high winds which made it unusable. So we had no view, no light and no reason to be in this hotel. We were told the hotel was full and we couldn't change rooms.

Oh, and at this price, breakfast is onto included so a further €10 per person per day. We ordered it anyway, and it was thoroughly uninspiring, frankly like our stay so far.

By the next day, we felt thoroughly miserable. We decided to leave the hotel, and told the manager, who at that point changed our room to 10. A room with light as higher up (but a totally bizarre mezzanine floor which you had to bend down to use. Perhaps some might find hat charming but if you can't stand in your hotel room, again, what's the point?

But everything was an effort. We were made to feel like we were personally insulting the efforts of the manager, despite a complete lack of service. We were expected to cart our heavy bags up and down ourselves, or call a taxi driver to help us, there was literally no service at all in the hotel.

No fridge, no safe in the room are tiny points in the scale of disappointment.

I should say we left the next day, and when no taxi drivers were available to come to assist us with our bags, the manager agreed to help us, but honestly, her efforts at his stage were so cursory, she asked us to get the bags out of the cupboards unlock the cupboard and then assisted with one bag. Whether she sought to assist us herself is beside the point. At this price and selling itself as a luxury high end hotel, the lack of service is inexcusable.

I finally caved against my English politeness and told her we were very disappointed and expressed precisely why. In fairness, the manager refunded one night's accommodation, the breakfast of day one and the return taxi. I appreciated that gesture because the price of the hotel was exorbitant, and nothing justified it. Not even the comfortable bed which the manager kept explaining was amazing.

The location is wonderful, the idea of staying in old Vejer wonderful, this could
have been an utterly wonderful hotel, but I'm afraid it failed in every way, and so was a huge disappointment. I'm really very sorry to write this review. I don't think I have ever produced such a scathing review. At half the price, it was aceptable but frankly, the poor service, the issues with parking and luggage and a number of rooms ostensibly without any light, especially without the use of terrace by wind and the jacuzzi because out of order made this hotel a huge disappointment. Lucky Vejer itself is anything but.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
5  Thank Mangoandlime
Elise L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel V, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Dear Mangoandlime,

On behalf of Hotel V…, we deeply regret that you were disappointed with your stay and were not able to enjoy the same great experience that other guests have had while staying with us. We value customer’s comments very much in order to make amends wherever necessary.

As with any hotel, sometimes unfortunate circumstances arise that prevent guests from experiencing the perfect getaway. In this case, the staff was very sympathetic to your dissatisfaction and made every effort to accommodate your needs and subsequently
offered you compensation in the form of one night's accommodation, breakfast and the cost of the return taxi. Considering you were compensated as such in order to show our efforts to maintain good customer relations, it comes as an unwelcome surprise that you felt the need to be so harsh and write such a “scathing” review. You seemed quite content to accept the complimentary night and other compensations and we feel that the continued criticisms are quite unfair.

It is our goal to ensure all our guests are comfortable and happy with their accommodations and therefore I would like to address some of the issues that caused you to be so dissatisfied:

It is agreed that during the annual feria, the town becomes more crowded with vehicles and there is limited parking. There is much more congestion and some streets are even closed off due to the festival. As unfortunate as it was for you, it is helpful to realize that we will need to make better arrangements for guests arriving during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience and the issue will be addressed and a solution found for the future.

The first room you had, Room 4, is one of the largest of our guest rooms and is actually quite lovely and as you commented, has a very comfortable bed with high quality linens, fixtures and fittings. Hotel V… is a refurbished 16th century manor house and the architectural integrity has been carefully maintained meaning that every room and every view is uniquely different. Your statement that the room had no windows is not entirely factual as there are indeed windows that open into the courtyard patio which is an open air courtyard. The ancient buildings of Andalusia typically had small windows as a benefit for keeping cool in the heat of the Spanish summer months. Considering your stay was in August, you had would have enjoyed having one of the coolest rooms in the hotel.

Learning of your dissatisfaction and wanting to better accommodate you, the staff offered you another room. Room 10, the room to which you were moved is one of our most popular rooms and one that has been repeatedly requested by our most distinguished guests. The room has a mezzanine loft that is intended as a relaxation space for lounging, reading or meditating. I believe this should answer your question of “what is the point?” As with most lofts, it is not intended for standing. Your comments make it sound as though it’s not possible to stand in the guestroom itself, which is misleading and untrue. The room actually has vaulted ceilings making it possible to have the loft lounge. Most people find this space charming and peaceful, I am sorry that you were confused and unhappy with it.

Our room descriptions do not mention providing a fridge or safe in the rooms, so there should have been no disappointment. This just seems to have been another point of unfair criticism.

The views from the rooftop terrace are exceptionally beautiful and it’s very unfortunate that the winds were so strong that you were prevented from enjoying the terrace. The “Levante” winds of this region are legendary and unpredictable but obviously an act of nature and not something in our control.

We were happy to compensate you with a complimentary breakfast and find it regrettable that you thought it necessary to comment that the breakfast was “uninspiring”. Breakfast is the typical Andalusian fare and consists of fresh squeezed juices, toast, goat cheese, tomato, Iberian Ham, yogurt and fresh fruits. It may not be the typical breakfast one is used to in other countries, where eggs and bacon are standard fare but it is all fresh ingredients and the Iberian Ham, a delicacy in this region, is of the highest quality.

In summation - upon knowing of all your disappointments, the manager offered you several compensations that you admit were fair and that you appreciated. It is quite disheartening that in spite of all our efforts to make you happy and offer apologies, you still felt it necessary to strike out at the hotel. I would have thought otherwise of someone who claims to possess “English Politeness”!!

On behalf of Hotel V…, we regret that your expectations were not met and wish you luck with your future travels.

Regards,

Elise L, Hotel V… Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2016

Oh dear, where do we start? My husband had booked us into this hotel for one night to celebrate my birthday on 30th April 2016. We were so looking forward to seeing the area for the first time.

Upon our arrival at around 8.00p.m. we drove round and round for about two hours (the area is only about half a kilo!) up and down the hills on the one way streets in search of the hotel without success. No one had forewarned us of the difficulty in locating this place ON FOOT ONLY! In desperation we parked our car in the small square (good job we had a disabled sticker) and asked a few people if they knew of the hotel.

After a long uphill (VERY STEEP) walk (not for the faint hearted) we arrived. We were told there was a taxi service which could help us with our luggage and the hotel receptionist/manager said she could book a driver to collect our luggage but it would take one and a half (1 1/2) hours!

As it was now gone 8.00p.m. and we wanted to celebrate my birthday at one of the nice restaurants in the square, we were a little anxious to say the least. After an hour my husband went to meet the taxi driver to help him. The driver never turned up and it was left to my poor husband to bring the suitcase up the hill himself.

During his travels to the car I decided to have a bath. Bearing in mind this is quite an expensive hotel there was no bath robe, no hairdryer, no soap and no bottled water to drink. The receptionist them announced we were in the wrong room! We had paid for a room with a view - our view was an internal view of the reception area!

After eventually departing for our evening meal (the time is now 10.15 p.m. we returned to find a bottle of Prosecco in our room having informed Cynthia that we did not drink! Oh dear! We asked Cynthia on a number of occasions for the manager's details. She declined to give them to us. She was pleasant enough but it was during the next day over a very simple breakfast of yogurt and coffee, that my anger got the better of me when she said she thought my yin and yang were not compatible which is the reason why I was feeling so low!

Upon our return to England we received an email from Cynthia apologising for our bad experience and offering us a two night complimentary stay. We decided to take her up on her offer and I emailed her on 13 August accepting her kind invitation. Her reply was "... I will confirm your complimentary one night post birthday stay with Hotel V once you have booked your flight...".

My husband replied as follows;

Thank you for your email dated 14th August.
When you wrote to Mrs Ward on 4th May you stated that you were pleased to offer, "...A complimentary 2 night stay for you both by invitation of Hotel V's owner and management team".
This offer was of course to make some amends for the terrible service we experienced during our stay at your hotel on 30th April/1st May this year.
You are now saying that in spite of your original offer of a complimentary 2 night stay, we will be charged for one of the "complimentary" nights! I think this reflects very badly on Hotel V and other potential clients should be made aware of our own experience and how we have been treated.
Of course it goes without saying that we will not be staying at Hotel V again.

I think that says the lot!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and make sure it is not a view of the reception area!
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Property1958
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Hotel V for three nights and I must say it is one of the best places I have ever stayed in all my years of traveling. Our room was clean, the beds very comfortable, and the room was beautiful. The rooftop deck is amazing! The breakfast was also very good. A solid 10 out of 10 experience.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2016

The room was very well appointed comfortable bed even if the duvet was a little excessive. Shower was a dream and the a/c very good, I slept very well. There is an honesty bar rather than minibar in the room and you can raid the kitchen if you have the munchies at anytime.

Room Tip: Leave it up to the staff and ask for what you require
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2016

In the last few years, I had the chance of staying in more than 50 hotels and Hotel V has been my favourite. I just love this place! Nice people, good food, wonderful decoration, the most surprising spa and a terrace that's heaven on earth. If I could, I'd live there forever!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business