Settling on a hotel by four moderately particular travellers located in England and Australia has the potential for disaster. We agreed on the Villa Cassagrande with slight reservations based on mixed reviews. None of us were disappointed however with our collective choice. The hotel is clean, well maintained and has plenty of character. Reception staff were welcoming, efficient and helpful. We had rooms in the older part of the hotel and looked over the gardens and courtyard at the back. The rooms were fair sized for Europe but we had the advantage of using the secluded sitting room next to our rooms so we felt like we had plenty of space. One night we ate at the restaurant attached to the hotel. A more than adequate meal but not outstanding. For the rest of our stay we ate in the town which has a range of places to eat. The standout restaurant is the CD Cafe, Piazza Averani, 13 run by Deno and his wife. The meals were excellent, different menu each day; highly recommended. Breakfast at the hotel was adequate but barely. Given the market it aims at the hotel should have made more effort. Biggest gripe was the lack of fruit (we're talking Italy in early Autumn!) and the fact that they ran out of basics rather quickly. They did produce more, but you had to ask for things that had disappeared. We got the impression that they found dealing with breakfast rush a bit hard to manage. Our only complaint of substance was to do with access to the hotel's guest laundry. There was only one key! So if you wanted to use the iron but someone else had the key and was using washing machine - bad luck, no ironing. In the end we used the laundromat near the hotel. Figline is a working town, the centre of which is oldish and has sufficient character to be of (limited) interest. The town makes a good base however from which to explore Tuscany or go by train to Florence. Would we stay again? Probably not but only because there are so many other interesting places to visit in Tuscany. We'd make the effort to visit Deno for a meal though. Taken all together, a pleasant stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Casagrande is an elegant, superior category hotel, located in the old town centre of Figline Valdarno, a little town strategically located in a central position between the cities of Florence, Arezzo and Siena. It is a large, distinctive building with a spacious, austere enclosure in pure Tuscan style. Ideal both for business trips and for tourism, the Staff of Villa Casagrande will welcome you with their willingness to satisfy your every need and, by giving you specific advice, they will help you discover the beauty and the flavours of our "Tuscan Land". Free parking and free WIFI. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Villa Casagrande reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Casagrande Hotel Figline Valdarno
- Casagrande Hotel Figline Valdarno
- Hotel Villa Casagrande Tuscany, Italy