Lowest prices for your stay
Free cancellation until 16/04/21
Free cancellation until 15/04/21
Booking.comUS$118
Hotels.comUS$118
eDreamsUS$118
All reviews the pub honeymoon suite pate plenty of parking bar area friendly welcome stayed here for nights enjoyable stay bed was very comfortable gillingham jon meal sunday curtains waitress norfolk
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 October 2020 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at The Swan for business and I wasn’t disappointed. The staff are very lovely and friendly, breakfast was lovely and they will substitute for you so if you don’t want one item they will give you more of another which was a winner for me !!
The rooms are clean, tidy and contain everything you need. The bed was comfy and cosy and I slept really well. Good value for money all round.
We will all be back again soon.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2020

Nice place, about 11/2 miles out of Beccles. It's clean and well decorated. Good bar area, and a friendly, helpful lady working the bar and reception.

Rooms are on the small side but comfortable. TV supplied, but the almost universal problem for the 21st century traveller of not enough power sockets!

Food was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal and breakfast the following morning.

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank lawdylawdy
Reviewed 29 August 2020

Visited The Swan motel when staying locally and what a find. Felt very safe, everything set up to protect both staff and customers alike. The food was very excellent, with plenty of choice and large portions. The staff very friendly and dogs are allowed in the bar, obviously not the restaurant. Will definitely pay another visit when back in that area. Give it a try you won’t be disappointed unless you don’t like home cooked meals and prefer junk food. 10/10

Reviewed 28 August 2020

Wonderful place , The food is incredible.
The rooms are beautifully presented, very clean, beds comfy and facilities to make tea/coffee.
Plenty of parking here.
Staff extremely friendly they go above and beyond
Couldn’t recommend this place enough

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2020 via mobile

We had booked a 3 night stay here for my wife, 2 children and myself as we were visiting my mum who is 80 yrs old and who is recovering from Sepis. She lives in Reydon and this looked like a great option for us.

After spending the day with my Mum we arrived at just before 6pm to check in before returning to Mum for dinner. The Reception area is located at the end of the bar and as we started to check in, the lady dealing with us announced that we had an outstanding debt on our account that needed settling! Confused by this, I questioned how could we have an outstanding debt considering we haven’t yet checked in. I’d also point out, this is all taking place at the bar, so as you can imagine all eyes were immediately upon us from other patrons. We continued to try and ask what debt and how can we have a debt when we’ve never stayed there and haven’t even checked in? This was never more than a normal, polite conversation. Again, I had my 2 young children with me and a room of people all listening in. After several attempts, I asked if what she meant was they required payment for the room in full at check in? If that’s the case no problem, which it was, so I handed over my card and paid the £279 for our 3 night booking.

We were then walked through the bar to show us our room. Upon getting outside, a man, who I presume is Jon from reading previous reviews, takes over and tells me he is giving us a full refund and we are not staying at his property!!! I of immediately questioned why, as I just couldn’t understand what was happening. He then told me I was out of order, he’s not standing for it, I’m going around upsetting people! I of course challenged this and asked who I’d upset, to which he responded to lady who had originally dealt with us!!! He then proceeded to walk back through the bar with me following asking exactly what I’ve done that’s so out of order? He simply wasn’t interested and continued to walk. I again tried to qualify that all I’ve done is ask how I can have an outstanding debt when I haven’t even checked in? His response was, that’s right, you’re out of order!! Then after several attempts, he refunded my card for £279.

Now, at 6pm at night, that left us with 2 young children and nowhere to stay, all because I asked to justify how I can have a debt on an account prior to checking in? At no point did I complain, attempt to complain or remonstrate! All I did was have what I thought was a perfectly normal and reasonable conversation. I mean I even had to ask if what the lady mean was they required the room paying for in full at check in!

So at 6pm we had to return to my mums and explain to her that unfortunately we now couldn’t spend the next 3 days with her as we have nowhere to stay. We’re a family of 4 and she has a small 2 bed bungalow. Thankfully we were able to get some dinner for the kids before having to drive back to West Hertfordshire. We got home at 11pm last night with 2 very upset children, especially my daughter who is only 10 and very close to her grandmother. So, thanks Jon and The Swan Motel ... that was an ideal situation to be in with 2 young children and resulting in me driving around 600 miles yesterday and having to return home.

Whilst receiving my refund, I said to Jon / Owner / Manager, whoever he was that I’d be sure to leave a review for him. His response, and this is a direct quote was “ I don’t give a sh@! About reviews or what people think” ... well that’s quite clear by the way you treated me and my family. At no point did he introduce himself, at no point was he present during any of the check in process and without any conversation he refused to let us stay, despite having 2 young children with us!!

To add insult to injury, this morning we have received communication from Bookings.com that The Swan Motel has taken £93 from us for cancellation and informed we didn’t show up!! This is complete nonsense and nothing more than a complete lie. I have attached a picture of the refund receipt that was issued to me last night in person. How exactly can we have not shown up to the property, yet I have the refund receipt handed to me last night? At best, this is attempted fraud! The obtention of funds via deceitful means. You’ve lied to Booking.com, we did arrive, we did check in, we did even pay for the room in full but you refused is entry!!

I like to try and be balanced in reviews, despite everything. So I can tell you that the bar area looked nice and it’s a scenic location. There was quite a strong smell of eggs but in fairness, it was 6pm and the kitchen was in full swing, so you expect to smell food being cooked etc.

I would love to be able to tell you about the rooms but we didn’t get that far.

As for the warm and friendly welcome, I’m afraid this is completely missing. As for an ethically managed business, this clearly also isn’t the case as after refusing us entry to our room and providing a refund, they’ve now claimed we cancelled and didn’t show up at the property! This has clearly been done in an attempt to reclaim £93 from us, which I will fight every step of the way. It’s nothing short of unethical and morally bankrupt business practice! I can obviously prove with ease we attended the property as I have the refund receipt, which I’ve attached to this review for everyone to see. I can also prove we attended the property by way of location services on all of our mobile phones and of course my route history in the car. Therefore I expect the £93 to be returned to us immediately!!

If you’re travelling on your own, give it a go, it may be worth the gamble. If however you’re travelling with children, do yourself a favour and keep looking for somewhere else! Judging by our own experience and after reading some of the other reviews, it’s clear you cannot raise any issue with this establishment!! It’s also too much of a gamble that they may just not like the look of you and decide you and your family can’t stay, as what’s happened to us. Think I’d strongly advise against taking the gamble on staying here and risking being forced to drive back home late at night with young children!!

The single biggest issue for us now however is the absolute disgraceful business practices being employed here. Blatantly lying about us not turning up at the property in order to claim £93 cancellation fee. Let’s not forget, they also don’t give an SH@! about what anyone thinks or reviews!!! That’s a direct quote!

I’ve never had an experience like this in my life. I’ve been asked to settle an outstanding debt, before I’ve even checked in. I’ve questioned how that can be the case and been told I’m out of order and refused entry. I’m now having to deal with fraudulent attempt to claim £93 from us after they left us with nowhere to stay at 6pm last night! Their choice and decision, not ours! We weren’t even aware of an issue until being given our marching orders!

So make what you will of all this, but if it’s a warm, friendly welcome you’re looking for, The Swan Motel probably isn’t the right place. If you’re looking for an honest and ethical business, again this probably isn’t the place!! All things considered, I really wouldn’t recommend staying here and I’d continue to look for somewhere else!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Jon Cobby, Owner at The Swan Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2020

I would like to say sorry to your wife and children. I am sorry you had to go home. I did feel for them. Maybe you should have listened to your wife when she was nudging you in the side telling you to shut up. You mentioned that all this happened in the bar area in front of other people I think this is why you did this I guess you like an audience
I have never met anyone quite as rude and threatening as you. You made a member of my staff cry. You did this to make yourself look big and important. I did actually walk in half way through this so missed the beginning of your rant. I didn’t know what was going on so when you were being shown to your room I asked what had started this and why my staff member was crying I was told by several people how it started which was quite close to how you described but really did not warrant the nastiness you inflicted. I then caught you up and asked you to leave.
I have owned this motel for six years now and have never had to ask anyone to leave like this before I do in fact give a sh@t about reviews and have to work hard to achieve our high scores so knowing the consequences I still thought I would rather you leave.
After you left I rang Booking.com to explain what had happened and they advised me to put this down as a no show because this would free the room up for possible booking and also release your security deposit of £93 which I presume is back in your bank now.
I do hope that you have learned something from all this. You really must respect others even if they work in a little motel trying to help you.
Again I would like to apologise to your wife and children and your mother.
Jon.