Lowest prices for your stay
eDreams
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
StayForLong
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We were brought to Villa de Leyva by our russian friend who lives permanently in Colombia. He wanted to show us some bright locations of this country to give us "the taste" of true Colombia. Rustic hotel was planned to be a part of the experience and it did impress both in pleasant and not nice ways.
La Mesopotamia was bult as I was told in XXVI century and still keeps that magnificient atmosphere of conquistadors' epoch in all the details of architecture and furnishing. Staying there for 2 nights were like placing ourselves into time mashine, magnificient! Breakfasts were pretty good, yet nothing special. They have a cosy bar and a clean pool as well.
The weak points of the place are unsmiling staff, difficulties with having hot water in the room (it must be switched on outside your room and for the first time you'll need to call staff for help), ancient internet - well, that can be a strong point if you want to take a dip into rural latin-american life, lol. In the morning I discovered that my legs are covered with some evidence of wild-life in my bed. Still don't know what exactly it was, but luckily nothing serious. These marks went off in several days. But better check your bedsheets before you go to sleep.

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Mariposa_1717
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I found it beautiful, yeah kind of rough but still beautiful. Didn't find another so beautiful, charming and original. Amazing gardens and a lovely swimming pool that gives you peace and tranquility. If you like artistic and original stuff highly recommended. Well and if you go to Colombia go for the things you are not gonna find in your country and that are rarely colorful and folkloric.

Date of stay: July 2010
Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Liliana076
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I stayed here for two nights a couple of days ago, and having heard very good things about the hotel was rather disappointed. We stayed in a cabin in a field uphill from the main hotel complex so had no problems with noise, but the rooms were very basic and dilapidated. If you stay here be sure to check your shoes/bed/shower for scorpions as we saw quite a few of them, which was slightly worrying. The main hotel complex is charming, with little streams running alongside the paths and a large freshwater pool. The staff were unsmiling and unfriendly. Overall this is a cheap hotel with a fair bit of charm in a good location, but which is in need of an overhaul.

Date of stay: August 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
7  Thank nomoresorry
Reviewed 10 August 2008

We chose this hotel because of its nice emplacement (in the outskirts of the village, gardens, far from the busy square) but...It turned out to be very noisy. You can hear people in the corridors, in the gardens
...One night we heard drunken guests arrive, ring the bell several times to be let in and turn up the music in their rooms.The second night at 1 am the same happened...but it turned out to be the bar of the hotel that decided to turn up the music to the maximum to greet some guests...

Next morning I spoke to the owner in the nicest tone saying I did not think the bar should play loud music in the middle of the night. He didn´t even let me finish what I had to say and was just so rude that even the receptionist was apologizing afterwards....(He even told me to stop opening my eyes because there was nothing he could do (whatever that means!!!!!!!) and that I was a nobody to scold him!!!!). Incredible!!!!!

All of this happened after we had to change rooms because in the first one there was no hot water...In both beds are hard and everythings has this weird, not clen smell....

Date of stay: August 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9  Thank CatColombia
Reviewed 8 March 2007

The hotel is set in an old mill on the edge of town. The location and the gardens are really beautiful but the buildings are very run down and in need of renovation.

There was interesting wildlife in the bedroom and bathroom (lots of strange insects and we also found a scorpion crawling across the ceiling). Our bedroom was fairly large (but very basic) but I noticed other bedrooms which were small and which only had windows overlooking the interior of the building so very dark. The beds were hard and the bed linen not great. The staff were scowling most of the time.

Date of stay: December 2006