“Some people need a reality check!”
Review of Takis Apartments

Takis Apartments
Ranked #30 of 72 Speciality Lodging in Sidari
Reviewed 2 September 2012

It was with a lot of trepidation that my partner and I went to the Takis apartments in Sidari after reading some of the appalling reviews on here - even more so when I discovered to my horror that we were staying at the much disdained Takis II! I was fully expecting mosquito bloodbaths on the walls, dirty sheets, fixtures and fittings in a poor state of repair. My fears were unfounded and as far as I could make out so were many of the reviews on here. I feel that many people have gone to the two and a half star Takis expecting the quality and service of a five star. When you go to Takis I recommend you remind yourself what you paid for the holiday and that it is rated two and a half stars. Do this and I guarantee you will be surprised (in a good way) by what you find. I spoke to my rep about the reviews and she asked me if I would be willing to write an honest review of our experience - so here it is.

First of all I would like to say that there are indeed two sets of Takis apartments in Sidari. One which I presume is the Takis and Effie apartments and the apartments in which we stayed. We stayed at the complex illustrated in the main photograph. The other Takis (there is a photograph of a rather shabby entrance sign on here which belongs to this one) was across the main Sidari road and about 100 yards to the right. Within the Takis complex where we stayed there is "Takis 1 and Takis 2" however both are part of the same complex. I asked about this and apparently they are named this for business reasons as there are two owners. A gentleman called Takis owns Takis 1 and Takis 2 is owned by a lady who you will see as she lives above Takis 2 and cleans it. I doubt you will speak to her though as she speaks very little English. The whole Takis complex is managed by Demitris and Litza.

Ok so here is goes:

Value: We booked our holiday two weeks before departure and paid just under £400 per person for seven nights. We were travelling with Olympic holidays. We arrived in Takis to find a bar, pool table, internet and TV. Internet costs two Euros for forty minutes. The machine takes 50 cents coins and this was often more than sufficient to check your email etc. The drinks at the bar were reasonable - two Euros for a large beer, four and a half Euros for the best cocktails you will ever taste (and the best decorated), two and a half Euros for a very large soft drink. Meals - cooked by both Demitris and Litza were always tasty and there was a good selection on the menu though a distinct lack of Greek food. On average the meals cost about 8 Euros and were good value for money. There is a pool table which to be honest isn't the best but does allow poor players to play well! TV - Demitris and Litza have control but are happy to let you watch whatever you want - just ask! Air conditioning was five Euros per night though we didn't use it and safety deposit boxes were four Euros a week. Twice in the week Demitris has a BBQ which can be booked for ten euro. This is a must! The cost includes pudding a refreshing watermelon.
Location- Can't be faulted. It is situated just off the main road in Sidari far enough to allow for a quiet stay. There is a "supermarket" to mins walk away so you are able to get your mineral water as the water in Corfu is not safe to drink due to its high mineral content. If you head into Sidari through the main entrance, the beach is about five minutes walk away as are many of the lively tourist destinations. If you want something more peaceful, head out of Takis through the back entrance past Takis 2. Across a small bridge you will find the canal d'amour and the quieter part of town.

Rooms - are clean and serviced once during your stay (remember two and a half star). This was not a problem for us as there was a drying horse on the balcony and we washed the towels out by hand and they dried within the hour. You have a bedroom, balcony, little kitchen area (complete with pots and pans) with two ring hob and a shower. Yes there is only one toilet roll provided so take your own. Air conditioning is provided for the cost of five Euros a day. Now my two grumbles (which are small) are with the rooms. We were in room 29. We did not bother with the air conditioning as we were not in the room long enough to need it but next door did. This would not have been an issue only their condensation pipe led into our balcony area. The pipe fed into a mineral water bottle that if you failed to empty would overflow. This is something that happened to us a couple of times, causing the whole balcony to flood. It was not a huge issue, there was a mop outside, it took a minute to mop. All it meant was we had to remember to empty the bottle every day as the cleaners did not! The water in the bottle was clean and didn't smell so it wasn't a hardship. Our final grumble was that the owner of Takis 2 and the cleaners lived above the apartment and the Greeks are not known for their quiet voices. Their chit chat and stomping did get annoying but to give them their due they usually quietened down by 12.30am so again not a huge issue.

Cleanliness - already mentioned. The apartments were clean enough and were serviced during your stay. The rest of the complex was immaculate. Demitris can be seen regularly cleaning the pool and testing the pool water.

Service - At Takis the service could not be faulted. Litza and Demitris are a fabulous couple who really can't do enough for you. All they want is for you to have a great stay and they will do what they can to help you to do that. I would suggest that you go armed with a few Greek phrases as Demitris likes helping you learn. He enjoyed watching me sat there with my phrase book commenting "it's all Greek to me!" Both Dimitris and Litza work long hours managing the apartments and their two small children who can often be found swimming in the pool playing with the other children. Both of them are amazing hosts.

I hope you find my review helpful - please do not be put off by some really unfounded reviews. I spoke to people in each apartment block and everyone couldn't agree with me more. Go to Takis and you will have a great time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank polly2P1979

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here for one week in August and my family and I had a fantastic time.
The Takis was clean and our apartment was spacous with every thing we could have needed. The owners Dimitris and his family were very helpful and welcoming. We would definately stay at The Takis again in the future.
The only downfall to this holiday was the Mosquitos... Repellant plug in's and lotion are a must here, every other person in Sidari seemed to be covered in bites. Thankfully we went fully prepared and did not have thia problem.
I would recommend the BBQ at the takis on the wednesday night, its cost 10 euro and the food was lovely, well worth the money.
There are some great places to eat on the main strip and most restaurants have a terrace on the beach which was lovely. The sea breeze and greek village restaurants were the best we thought.
I was slightly worried about staying here after reading some the reviews however I am shocked at these reviews and I could not fault it at the takis, if anything it was better than i expected. Very pleased with our holiday and sad to be home!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank liadan1
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband and our 2 teenage children stayed here for 2 wks 23/7/12 - 6/8/12, after a delayed flight and a very long day we could not of wished for better hosts. Dimitris was on hand and said he would stay around until we were settled and had all that we needed ,this was well past midnight. His wife litza is also a very friendly and welcoming host, she is there through out the day from early morning until dimitris takes over in the evening and on many days both are around to cook and serve at bar area. The food is lovely and of huge proportions and on many occassions struggled to complete even the snacks.Every body was so friendly that we met and have come away with friends we will keep in contact with as our children made friends with their children while staying, even planning to try and book the two weeks next year at the same time ( watch out dimitris here we come and i will promise not to brake a kettle again if you promise to keep an eye on the frying pan !!! oh and don't forget our room again no 6 !). Wednesday BBQ night is great and all the effort that is put in by them both is wonderfull and very very enjoyable. We had a 2 bed appt which is basic but big we were more than happy with it as it had all that we required. There are plenty of sun beds around pool area so no fighting for space and pool always kept well maintained. Close to all amenities shops, beach and bars and lovely walks to go on, set a little bit back from main road gave it the no noise thumbs up for us. We have read a few non glowing reviews of these apartments but we can honestly say we enjoyed every minute we stayed there and will 100% be returning next year and would suggest this apartment to anyone planning to visit sidari.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank l_goodwin717
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed in Takis and Efi Apartments for 2 weeks. There were nine of us in total including one 7 year old, two 11 year olds and two 15 year olds. After arriving at 2am in the morning and no one being there to great us we found out that there are keys left in the doors for those arriving late (Efi doesn't know what time people are arriving she just gets notification of how many people on which date and at 66 years old she can't sit up all night)! After the initial shock of no one being there to great us we settled in and had the most wonderful holiday.

Location: The location of Takis and Efi apartments are on the road into Sidari (so there is some traffic noise but not much as set back). The walk into the main Sidari town is about 10 minutes.

Apartments: We had apartment no. 4 which was a two bedroomed apartment and our friends had apartment no.2 ,they were both ground floor, spacious, large balacony and kept extremely clean (we cannot fault the cleaner she works extremely hard on a daily basis). The apartments are a little old fashioned but very clean.

Pool & Bar area: The pool is immaculate and the bar area is kept extremely clean. During our visit the Olympics was on and if you asked Efi if she could turn the bar TV on she always did so willingly. There are fig and lime trees in the grounds and if you asked for a salad they went to the garden and cut the lettuce fresh for you!

Food at apartments: Efi cooks all the food herself and therefore you sometimes have to wait at the bar to be served. Food at Efi's is lovely - stuffed peppers and tomatoes, stifado (at less than 6 euros each), cooked english breakfasts (2 euros). We had a good greek night here with a lovely BBQ and dancing round the pool. Efi actually cooked us a lovely (free) dinner on the last night of our holiday.

The Owners: Takis and Efi are an old Greek couple, Takis is 72 and works in the gardens/grounds most of the day. Efi is 66 and tireless, she is up at about 6am and doesn't leave the bar until midnight and does the majority of work on her own. If you respect Efi and give them the time of day, make the effort to speak a bit of greek and spend your money round the pool they will make your stay a wonderful one.

Overall: We all had a wonderful holiday, if you want traditional greece with clean, spacious apartments and fabulous food then this is the place for you. It wasn't majorly busy and at one point it felt that it was our own private villa and pool! Would definately recommend and am looking forward to going back soon!

Room Tip: No air conditioning units in rooms but you can hire a stand fan for approximately 1-2 euros per nigh...