“Great quality classic diner food, fair prices, clean friendly restaurant.”
Review of The Orchid

The Orchid
Ranked #6 of 19 Restaurants in Thornbury
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Description: We are open daily 8am to 3pm. Serving all day breakfast and lunch with bottomless coffee. Home style cooking & daily specials. Entire menu available for take out as well as premade meals for dinner. Licensed, Patio, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free. Fast and Friendly Family Feasting.
Reviewed 22 January 2021

Reliable classic great quality diner food.
Fast and friendly staff.
Best breakfast in Thornbury.
Fresh and well prepared food choices.
Best lunch in Thornbury also.they are coping well with covid take out, but hope they get to open again soon.

Date of visit: September 2020
Write a reviewReviews (139)

Reviewed 8 December 2020

Each camping season my wife and I stop in “the Orchid” for breakfast on our way through Thornbury. We thought it would be nice to drop in Thursday December 3 2020 as it was our anniversary and we were hanging out and photographing around Collingwood; then off to the Blue Mountains for an anniversary dinner.
We were totally disappointed with the Orchid prices and service on this trip. It has always been a great experience. However this trip the prices I feel have almost doubled. My 2 egg, 3 slices of bacon, home fries (that I believe were frozen Cavendish like brand) and my burnt toast all for the low low price of around $11.50. The bill for an Omelette breakfast and a regular breakfast came out to $36.16.. without a tip.
I don’t mind paying a little more if the service was there BUT it wasn’t. Once seated other than sending back the burnt toast we never saw our server again. However the one cup of coffee was very good.
The breakfast was tops an $8.50 breakfast and the bill should have been around $23. Not $36.16 I felt gouged.
I really dislike leaving a bad review however this place use to be a lovely stop on our trips..It looks like we will be looking for a new favourite place

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 2 November 2020 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal with friends to start a great day of hiking. Service was excellent. Food was fresh and hot. Really enjoyed the ambiance

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 8 October 2020

The staff at the Orchid are very nice and worked off their feet - especially with the extra sanitizing and checking in of patrons these days. So kudos for staying open and on top of things and still maintaining grace under pressure.

That won't save their pancakes. They were nothing to write home about. And they charged $5 for three tiny little piece of bacon which were not as crispy as I asked for. My friend had the eggs florentine and thought it was good - but she wasn't raving about it.

One large television.

A competent and quick breakfast in Thornbury - and great designer mugs! But nothing to call for a return visit.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank 599Angela
Reviewed 21 September 2020

We're longtime customers and have noticed that The Orchid is slipping....in quality of food and service (aloof). Their coffee is like hot water, their toast is Dempsters and home fries taste like they're the frozen kind you buy at Foodland. This comment comes from visits before & after the pandemic so The Orchid cannot blame it...maybe it's because they have no competition now that Steve's has closed. Please Orchid pull up your bootstraps!

Date of visit: September 2020