“Wood fired pizza and more...I think.”

Bruce Wine Bar & Bodega
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Thornbury
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bruce Wine Bar & Bodega is open for business! Owners Shaun & Nicole look forward to welcoming you safely. Bruce Bodega and Bottle Shop offers grab & go lunch items, prepared foods, fresh bread, wine & grocery items. Open Tuesday-Saturday 11-8. Bruce To-Go Take Out serves wood-fired pizza, entrees, salads and dessert. Open Tuesday-Saturday 4-8PM. Dining is now available on weekends, 6 course tasting menu by reservation only. Visit our website or social channels for more information.
Reviewed 11 December 2018

I would really like to talk about the "more" offered at Bruce, but we've not been able to get past their pizza.
Wood fired, I clocked a 7 minute cook time on one of my takeaway pies, so the oven is screaming hot. Great, crispy thin crust, a slight smoky note from the wood fire, our fave is the funghi, mushrooms with a white thyme cream sauce, sauteed onions, romano cheese and fresh mozzarella ($23.00). The highlight for me are the charred bubbly bits on the crust. Brilliant stuff. Really great people in a charming location.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a reviewReviews (340)

Reviewed 7 December 2018 via mobile

We were a group of three out on a Tuesday night. We had reservations and were taken to our table promptly. We split a pizza and two salads. Two of us ordered wine from the house list but I was reluctant to order as a 5 ounce glass at $13 was out of line. Our order came and the server gave us bread and butter plates for pizza! We asked for larger plates and she was not happy about it- told us that she would have to go downstairs to get the bigger plates. Once we started eating, the pizza was soggy; lentil salad was tasteless; and the green salad was just that, green. It has taken me some time to decide to write a review as I didn’t have anything good to say. Personally, I will not be back. I felt like I paid for the upscale decor and not the food.

Reviewed 18 November 2018 via mobile

This will be our last trip to the Bruce Wine Bar. The Bruce was always our favourite place to have dinner but something has obviously changed as the food is no longer the quality we’ve come to expect from the Bruce. We’ve stopped in for dinner a few times over the last few months hoping that the food had improved as sometimes a restaurant can just have an off night,but after last night we can see that’s not the case. We decided to give it one more try so grabbed takeout pizzas - the pizzas were freshly cooked and ready within 20 minutes as promised. But when we got home we were extremely disappointed! The fennel sausage pizza was undercooked and soggy and the vegetarian pizza was oily. The pizzas both lacked flavour and the crust was terrible! We used to love The Bruce Wine Bar but can honestly say we won’t be returning.

Date of visit: November 2018
TorontoFoodman, Owner at Bruce Wine Bar & Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2018

We are sorry to hear that Nettie. I’m not sure exactly what has changed for you other than the comments about your last pizza pick up. The ‘take out’ pizza experience will never be the same as the ‘dine in’. That being said we do a brisk ‘take out’ business. I’d love to discuss this further with you. Perhaps a conversation. You can reach me at: info@crowvariety.ca.
All the best.

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Visited for lunch on a Friday with 6 ladies. Amazing pizzas, wine and fried cauliflower!! Service was friendly and helpful though a little slow.

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Best local restaurant in the region. Make delicious pizza's although it is so much more than this. Great wine list, sources local produce, ample parking.

Date of visit: December 2017