“No whales but a great day out”
Review of Tina Excursiones

Tina Excursiones
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sustainable Whale watching of La Gomera and with stop in a bay for swimming and a typical lunch and returning all the south coast of La Gomera, Kanarien Islands Visitation from the natural monument Los Organos in the north of the island La Gomera.
Reviewed 6 December 2016

Booked a whale watching trip on Tina through P & O Cruises. There is a public bus from the capital San Sabastian but be prepared for a scary ride lasting 1.5 hours over a mountain road to reach the boat. Apart from 17 Brits from the ship it was a mixed nationality group on board Tina. The weather was warm and the sea fairly calm. As we left the harbour there was a fantastic rainbow over the island. The crew, particularly the older lady (sorry didn't get her name) were really helpful. She came round to give information about the island and its flora and fauna and to show us the various species of dolphins and whales that could be seen. Unfortunately the whales weren't playing on this trip, but the Bottle Nose Dolphins put on an excellent show, diving under and around the boat and throwing themselves energetically out of the water. We had a fantastic lunch on the boat including a tasty tuna steak cooked in a local spicy sauce on a simple two ring gas barbecue at the back of the boat. This was accompanied by salad and bread washed down with lashings of (strong) sangria and wine. There was also an opportunity to swim of the boat. There were also a couple of locals on the boat who sang to us and a really good atmosphere was created. Although we did not see any whales the crew of Tina worked hard to make this a memorable day where we learnt a lot about this fascinating island and its history and culture. Can't comment on the cost of the trip because we got it as part of a package organised by the cruise company which included a guided mini bus trip across the island from San Sabastian, but to my mind it was a highlight of our holiday and I would recommend it to anyone staying on or travelling to La Gomera.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"trips"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 11 November 2016

We were very interested in taking a raft boat tour to Los Organos, so I called Tina Excursiones to enquire about the availability of their speed boat. I was told by a really not overly enthusiastic staff member that this was in principle possibly (as advertised on their webpage), but that the availability of the speed boat was not clear yet and that I should call again the next day. So I did. The next day, I was put off once more and asked to give them another call after yet another day. No alternative was ever offered, and they left it to me to contact them over and over again. The third day, my phone calls were not answered at all - so I gave up and turned to another company. I feel that such a business conduct is a bit unfortunate.

1  Thank berndb663
Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

This is a great day out and we saw lots of dolphins and pilot whales which was amazing!!

We were struggling to organise a whale watching tour through our rep or hotel so rang these guys directly and they phoned us back. It was very short notice but they accommodated us on the next day's trip. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I suffered with sea sickness as it was quite choppy that day but they were very sympathetic with various remedies to help.

After whale and dolphins spotting we anchored up and had a swim and lunch was prepared. This was our favourite food all week. We have had some great food here but this was so simple, fish with Canarian potatoes, salad and sangria. Very tasty and a great setting, this trip is worth it just for lunch!

The host speaks English and German...I suspect maybe other languages too. She was lovely and the rest of the crew were too. Nothing was too much bother. Definitely recommend the trip.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We took the whale watching trip from Playa Santiago and we weren't disappointed. We saw lots of dolphins and a family of pilot whales. The trip includes swimming off the boat at a secluded beach and lunch of grilled tuna, canary potatoes with mojo and a selection of salad. Plenty of drinks are provided with lunch and there's a toilet on board.

There was quite a swell during our trip and several people were seasick, so I would suggest taking precautions beforehand if you suffer from motion sickness like I do. I used the acupuncture wrist bands and I was absolutely fine.

We really enjoyed this trip because it allowed us to see the island from a different perspective. It was 45 euros each but worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I have my second home in Playa de Santiago and spend between 4 and 5 months a year there and, during this time, I usually go out whale watching with Tina Excursiones twice a week. I must have been on the Tina for well over 200 times and every trip has been a wonderful experience.
We usually see large groups of pilot whales, bottlenose and Atlantic spotted dolphins as well as common dolphins, Bryde's whales, turtles, hammerhead sharks, flyig fish and on occasions we have seen sperm whales and even a blue whale.
From the boat there are spectacular views of the coast and often a couple of osprey can be seen as well as large numbers of cory shearwater.
The excursion lasts 4 hours and includes a stop for swimming at a secluded bay and a freshly prepared lunch of grilled tuna fish and a salad buffet with the typical papas arrugadas and mojos. Just before lunch, sangria is served and there is unlimited water, red and white wine with lunch.
The crew are friendly and very knowledgeable and always try their best to make sure that everyone on board is well looked after. Tina Excursiones offer a couple of different trips and each one is definitely worth doing.
I would advise arriving early to ensure a good seat which, for me, is at the front of the boat but this might not be the best place for people who have not got such good sea legs.
For me, simply the best!!

2  Thank basbury