Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Checking in:
My partner and I arrived at around midday and checked in. The receptionist wasn't exactly chirpy, but we thought everyone has their off days... however, reading some of the other reviews on here, every day is an off day.

wifi:
We were given a password for free wifi, which was a surprise as we weren't expecting it. However, the internet doesn't work in the rooms. The only place it works is at a rickety table in the courtyard.

management/reception:
Accommodation doesn't normally bother us as it is usually only a base to sleep in and keep our stuff in while we're out adventuring, but on this occasion, we were both struck down with a bug and were unable to leave the apartments for four days. Both of us had high fevers. This is a prime example of a time when having a reception that was actually open sometimes would have been useful. There was nobody there to ask things like 'where is the pharmacy' or 'where is the doctor', and the window had a sign saying we could buy water from there (if it was open). We had to walk around with fevers in 30'C heat looking for a pharmacy as very few residents spoke English, and carrying 5 litres of water ten minutes from the supermarket with a raging fever is not easy.

In the whole week we were there, we only saw the reception open briefly twice. If we had lost our key or got locked out with our phones left in the safe, we would have been absolutely screwed and have to sleep outside. We also discovered that we had to pay €2 per day to rent the safe key?!? who does that?? I have never ever been to a place that charges you for the use of a safe. Even a crappy hostel I went to for £8 a night gave me a free key for a safe.

Rooms:
Inside, the rooms were a decent size, but spartan to the point of being uncomfortable. The mattresses were so hard I woke up feeling stiff and achey the first few nights. The two single beds pushed together had one pillow each, which was so thin and formless there may as well not have been there. At least it was clean. The place was cleaned every two days and to her credit, their cleaner is very good, and even tidied up after us not just cleaned. However, once we went out and forgot to take off the 'do not disturb' sign, and came back to find a bag of toilet roll and clean sheets just dumped outside the door. We left it, thinking she had put it there to remind her to come back later, so we took the sign off, and by evening it was still there.

The rooms were very hot and there was no air conditioning, but as we went in mid september, the evenings were nice and cool and there were no mosquitos so the windows could be left wide open all night.

SWIMMING: The beach outside the hotel is great for families with young children as it is in a small cove and the water only comes up to your knees, so we spent most of our time in the pool on the roof. It was clean and pretty peaceful there with beautiful views, and we often had the pool to ourselves for most of the day. There were toilets on the roof for the pool, but, another example of pathetic management - they had no soap in the dispensers, Although they were nothing like train station toilets (i.e health hazards) it was pretty obvious they weren't cleaned, and they never had toilet paper. I don't think management had even been in there for months.

CHECKING OUT:
We were told to pay for the safe when we checked out. Checkout was at midday. There was a sign saying to pay up the day before leaving. We were leaving at 5am. The reception had been shut the whole of the previous three days. There was a small note in german on a side door saying to leave keys in a mailbox. Nothing about money. We ended up putting it and the keys in an envelope and leaving it in the mailbox and hoping for the best.

TO SUM UP:
if you don't speak any spanish you will struggle. Most of the visitors are German so if you can speak german you may find it easier to get around. Car hire is about €30 a day and petrol is dirt cheap. Restaurants are cheap, booze is extremely cheap. The area is nice with lots of hiking, and the weather is lovely. It's a great shame as these apartments are in a lovely area and a beautiful building with fantastic views and incredibly peaceful atmosphere. It has a huge potential to be a really wonderful place, if management pulled its thumb out and a) bothered to turn up to work, and b) actually ran the place.

Room tip: Bring your own pillow Bring a German dictionary as all the signage and information is in German Bring a Spanish phrasebook. You will need it. If you see reception open, take advantage of it to get what you need. It is unlikely you will see it open again.
Date of stay: September 2013
7  Thank redmoosh
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I have to say I was very impressed with this place.

The apartments are build around the very nice courtyard and very well equipped and spotlessly clean. Although travelling alone I thought the cost excellent value.

My only, very small, grumble is that I couldn't pick up a decent wireless signal from the room, although it was perfectly usable in the courtyard so I didn't mind that much - it's a lovely environment to sit in working.

La Gomera and Valle Gran Rey are absolute gems, a must visit! Perfect for a peaceful getaway.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank AlanGNW
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The hotel itself is very nice, it has a nice calm patio were you can sit and rest or rent a book or some water games. There is a swimming pool on the roof with magnifique views over the sea on one side and the mountains on the other side. The room is clean and tidy, with a fully equipped kitchen, where you can cook pretty easily, or at least make yourself a coffee for breakfast. The only problem of this hotel is its staff. There is a receptionist, I think her name was Kirsten, who was really not nice at all. We arrived in the evening, but not too late, around 6/7pm. The reception was closed and there was an envelope with our name and the key to our room. There was also a note that the reception is closed this evening. I though, ok for once. We came to the room, found out it was extremely hot because it was oriented to the west so the sun shined into it the whole afternoon. Also, the room was smoking although we specifically requested a non smoking room. Luckily, we couldn´t smell any smoke. Anyway, there was nobody we could ask to change the room, although the hotel was pretty empty (I spotted two other occupied rooms). In the morning, we wanted to leave early because we wanted to go for a trek and thus be there early to see the best of the nature. When we were leaving, Kerstin the receptionist just arrived to work and told us she needs our passports. I told her we are just leaving and that I will bring them in the evening. (According to the paper in the room the reception should be opened in the evening). She said there will be nobody in the evening and that we have to give her our passports now because that´s the rule for each nationality. I know precisely that it is a rule, I am a former receptionist, but still, it is their fault that they are too lazy to come to work in the evening although they should be there. We lost 15 minutes with the passport thing, because it took her ages to start the computer and the system. The funny thing is, when we came back in the evening, the reception was closed, but there were lights on and somebody was there, probably doing some paperwork - isn´t that crazy?

Date of stay: April 2012
6  Thank Monika S
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed here for a week with 2 small kids in January 2012

Pros:
- The location is very handy - easy to get to the beach and shops/restuarants in Vueltas, and a nice, scenic walk to la Playa (about 10 minutes brisk walk)
- The courtyard is beautifully decorated and a nice calm place to sit (I used it for the Wi-Fi each evening)
- As requested they had provided us with a baby cot and when we askled for a high chair they also found one for us
- 2 little supermarkets nearby which have all the basics
- Cafe Ole around the conrner is a great spot for coffee and snacks

Cons:
- The furniture and atmosphere was pretty spartan - bare sofa, harsh lighting etc. With just a little bit more care and attention they could turn the basic rooms into something a bit more welcoming - I mean €50 spent on a few cushions and some lamps would make it a lot more comfortable and homely.
- We found the main lady on reception to be quite odd and frankly rude on occasions (more to my wife than myself - not sure whether this was co-incidence or just the way she is).
- I found the mattress very hard and with no support - so I woke up stiff and sore a few mornings. and only one pretty flimsy pillow was provided. If you have any sort of back problems you might find this unacceptable

So not a bad option, and we didn't see anywhere that looked better, but don't expect the Ritz!

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank GarMcQ
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Lovely little place on a lovely little island - went for the first time in Feb 2011, and the adventure of catching all the connecting boats across to the resort from a very concrete looking Tenerfie, just added to the quiant and slightly old fashioned experience.
The apartments are pleasant and basic, but the ambience of the courtyard and palms makes it feel quite 'upmarket' .. and very relaxing, everyone seemed to speak in hushed tones!
Plenty of nice little Restaurants within a 2 - 20 minute walk depending on your energy levels.
Most places are winding down by 11pm , 1 or 2 stayed open later but seemed laid back and not noisy.
Loads of great walks, most with some slopes and great views. Enjoyed some good Sea swimming in Feb ! although a little tricky getting in and out initially - 'jelly shoes' might help.
Just booking back in for next year - yum!

Date of stay: February 2011