“Run down in need of refurbishment poor service with not great food”
Review of Bulls Head

Bulls Head
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Wolvey
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2018

One we had not been to for a while and on our experience on this visit it will be a long time before we bother again. Lunch time visit between Christmas and New year. The car park was empty and with the exception of one other couple so was the pub. 1st impressions could do with a refit and refresh. Choice of tables and Sadly the one we chose was equipped with a rather rickety chair which was not fit for use. We swopped it for another staff showed no interest. Menus and table advertising were grubby and dog eared. After a couple of attempts found things they actually had. One uncleared table which remained uncleared throughout our visit. The other two diners cleared their own plates to adjacent table when they wanted room for their coffee, which they had to fetch themselves. Nor sure what the staff are for very poor service.
The food was basic and nothing that required a chef. The pie I had was microwaved and soggy in the middle, my wife's burger was dry and not very appetising. Disappointing visit and with so many good places to eat nearby not surprised it was empty.

2  Thank thomsclan2015

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Popular village public house. Well appointed. Selection of real ales. Offers 2 for 1 at lunch. Choice is limited. Food and service is good.

Rob E, General Manager at Bulls Head, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and service whilst joining us! We hope to see you again soon. Many thanks. Rob

Reviewed 6 June 2017

We had a quick lunch here and enjoyed it.
The menu was OK and the food was fine,
We noted a decent outdoor seating area had now been built (with astroturf !)

Rob E, General Manager at Bulls Head, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! Im glad you enjoyed your meal at lunch time!! The beer garden is a great asset now especially when the sun is out!!

Hopefully see you again soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

We attended as part of a family group organised by my father who is local to the area.

It's a dated pub under the Marstons brand.

We had been allocated a large table. It was a bit on the sticky side and needed a good clean. The venue itself has two bars/restaurants. The one we were in had horrible dated carpet, fixtures and fittings.

Service was 'order and pay at the bar'. They do not accept Marston shareholder discount cards. All chosen food items were available to order. However they had no lemons or limes for drinks which I was astounded at. They'd had a 'rush and used up ten lemons that weekend'! I was quite taken aback by that comment.

The food menu is typical pub staples on a laminated menu card. Nothing special or exciting but a wide range of choice.

The food took forever to arrive. We were on the point of getting cross with the thirty minute wait. However when it did arrive it was very good. Decent portions, hot and tasty. Really very good value.

When we had finished we saw no staff on leaving and no one came to clear plates or ask if we wanted more food/drinks. As there had been no real welcome either it all felt a little empty and impersonal.

I'd only come here if I was local and wanted decent good value food. No other reason to visit.

2  Thank Bob A
Rob E, General Manager at Bulls Head, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm glad your father enjoys his visits here with us and it was great to see him with his family on Bank Holiday Monday!

1/ Unfortunately the décor of the premises lies with Marston's. We did only have a refurbishment 4 years ago, however I can only pass your comments onto head office.

2/The tables are fully cleaned after every customer. Both sanitised with D10 and polished with R4. I can only apologise if you found a sticky spot on your table. Mistakes can happen from time to time.

3/Again only certain Marston's premises accept the discount cards. This should have been made clear when you did get the card. I have passed this information onto head office again to actual find out more details, so I can explain to your father on his next visit.

4/Being a bank holiday weekend every single pub and restaurant will run out of various items as you can never gauge what will sell. We did run out of fruit as we sold masses amount of Gin over the weekend which I did apologise for. Again I can only apologies. We did not run out of any items on the menu though.

5/As you probably noticed the pub was full on your arrival. Not 1 table was available. For your table of 7 your food took 28 minutes to arrive onto your table. For a table of 6 or more the estimated waiting time is 30 minutes. I can only again apologise if this is not up to your expectations.

6/I'm glad you enjoyed your food and found the food tasty and good value.

7/I apologise if we did not clear your table within a valid time.

8/I'm sorry your felt the service was impersonal. We do try our best for customers and table check on every table and make sure everything is ok. We operate on service with a smile. We advise customer to order at the bar as this is easier to manage. As you can imagine some people have picked their meal is under a minute and others like to peruse at the menu.

Thank you for your review as we do like feedback both positive and negative.

If you would like to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to call us on 01455 221100.

Thanks

Reviewed 1 June 2017

Recently began visiting her for meals and have not been disappointed in any way. The food is hot, tasty and well presented. Always a warm, friendly welcome from the hosts & staff. The menu is varied and quite extensive.. I would think that there is something to suit everyone's tastes. The 2 for 1 offer on certain meals which is available during the daytime represents excellent value for money and the size & quality of the meals is not compromised in any way (we have noticed in other establishments who offer the same deal that the meals seem to be a 'poorer' version when bought on the offer) A new menu was recently launched but pleased to see our favourite Ranch burgers are still on there.
Also noticed some good deals such as curry nights, which includes a drink, at an excellent price. All in all, this isn't a fine cuisine restaurant, its a pub that serves food, good ol pub grub, plus a few other tasty sounding dishes, and a great choice of beers, wines & spirits. It does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Many thanks for your lovely review on the Bulls Head!! Its always great to hear positive comments!! I'm glad you are happy with both the food and the service that we provide to you!! I love the comment that we are indeed a pub that serves food!! We don't claim to be silver service, just good pub grub!!!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Again many thanks for your review.